Close

Getting married in Romania

Hi Romaniac, others and admins !
I am a Pakistani citizen. My girlfriend is a Romanian citizen. she sent me an invitation and on the behalf of that invitation I got a Romanian visit visa but i couldn't go Romania due to some personal reasons. Now we want to marry.
I want to know:
1- Can a foreigner (with a visit visa) get marry with a Romanian citizen in Romania?
2- should we get marriage in Pakistan? (we can do here, she will come Pak on visit).
3- After marriage, will it be necessary for me that i have to come back to Pak?
I have read 120 comments of this thread, specially of Romaniac, but i couldn't get my answer so please kindly tell me. i am waiting for your answer Romaniac. i'll thankful to you all

Redmorning :

Hi Romaniac, others and admins !
I am a Pakistani citizen. My girlfriend is a Romanian citizen. she sent me an invitation and on the behalf of that invitation I got a Romanian visit visa but i couldn't go Romania due to some personal reasons. Now we want to marry.
I want to know:
1- Can a foreigner (with a visit visa) get marry with a Romanian citizen in Romania?
2- should we get marriage in Pakistan? (we can do here, she will come Pak on visit).
3- After marriage, will it be necessary for me that i have to come back to Pak?
I have read 120 comments of this thread, specially of Romaniac, but i couldn't get my answer so please kindly tell me. i am waiting for your answer Romaniac. i'll thankful to you all

You must have missed the answer then  :)  See my previous post on this thread please.  As for question #2, I cannot answer that for you:)  You two have to decide what works best for you.

Good luck

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

Sir,
Please just kindly tell me that: Can a visitor get marry with a Romanian citizen in Romania or not? :-)

Redmorning :

Sir,
Please just kindly tell me that: Can a visitor get marry with a Romanian citizen in Romania or not? :-)

Yes

Thanks a lotttttt sir :heart:

Hello I arrived in romania in August got married in September and I am collecting my residents card this week! I came on visiting visa so yes its possible. You have to apply to get married as soon as you arrive. Then as soon as you get your marriage book go to immigration and apply to stay. You will need a birth certificate which should be authenticated by the embassy of romania in your country or by your ministry of foreign affairs if it has affiliations to the romanian government. You also need an affidavit that you are not married in your country before the marriage of ofcourse. Then you will need to hire a lawyer and a translator. It sounds complex,it is. But we did it in two months so you can too! All the best.

peainapod :

Hello I arrived in romania in August got married in September and I am collecting my residents card this week! I came on visiting visa so yes its possible. You have to apply to get married as soon as you arrive. Then as soon as you get your marriage book go to immigration and apply to stay. You will need a birth certificate which should be authenticated by the embassy of romania in your country or by your ministry of foreign affairs if it has affiliations to the romanian government. You also need an affidavit that you are not married in your country before the marriage of ofcourse. Then you will need to hire a lawyer and a translator. It sounds complex,it is. But we did it in two months so you can too! All the best.

Thank you for confirming my answer as correct.:top:  I would say though, hiring a lawyer typically is not necessary.  Glad you got through the process ok though :)

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

Hi all!
        I am a Pakistani citizen. last year i had got a Romanian visit visa but i couldn't go there due to some personal reasons. Now i am going again to get a 90 days Romanian visit visa.
Now, me and my Romanian GF decided to get marriage in Romania. please tell me in details about all the documents i need to get marry in Romania. e.g:

1)-  From where i will have to translate my documents? in Romania or i can do it in my country?
2)- If i will not have a birth certificate than what doc i need in replacement of birth certificate?
3)- Can I get a Bachelorhood affidavit in my country? or i'll have make it in Romania?

Redmorning :

Hi all!
        I am a Pakistani citizen. last year i had got a Romanian visit visa but i couldn't go there due to some personal reasons. Now i am going again to get a 90 days Romanian visit visa.
Now, me and my Romanian GF decided to get marriage in Romania. please tell me in details about all the documents i need to get marry in Romania. e.g:

1)-  From where i will have to translate my documents? in Romania or i can do it in my country?
2)- If i will not have a birth certificate than what doc i need in replacement of birth certificate?
3)- Can I get a Bachelorhood affidavit in my country? or i'll have make it in Romania?

Hello,  the documents you need are discussed on this topic and forum already, so I won't outline all of them yet again.  Your Romanian spouse can always look them up on the city hall's website in whichever  locality they live in (or you can also and use Google translate if you don't know Romanian).

1) It's better to translate your documents here by an person authorized by the Ministry of Justice.  It will probably cost less if you do it here also.

2) You need a birth certificate in original.  If you don't have it, you better get a replacement from the proper authorities with a legalization/supra-legalization.  I'm not aware of any exceptions being made to this.

3) Yes, ideally you should this affidavit it in your country, as it often is issued by the authorities there.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I need to know of the city hall can proceed without the NOC from embassy. I can gt an NOC from my parents.. will that work? Rest i have the single status certificate and everything required.   Its the issue with the NOC from embassy.

mridusmita :

I need to know of the city hall can proceed without the NOC from embassy. I can gt an NOC from my parents.. will that work? Rest i have the single status certificate and everything required.   Its the issue with the NOC from embassy.

You need to find out what govt agency issues it and request it from them, then get it supralegalized. Anything from your parents will not be recognized.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Yes better get all your ducks in a row here because they are merciless at city hall

Hello brother how are you . ? You please contact me here

Moderated by Priscilla 6 months ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi,
I am a German citizen and going to get married to my Romanian fiance in November. Thank you Romaniac for your answers on this topic. It was a good help

Hi
My partner & I (both Uk citizens) are currently trying to navigate the technicalities involved in getting married locally. The British Embassy says that we need a Certificate of Non-Impediment, which is valid for 3 months & they will issue if we make an appointment at the Consulate in Bucharest. This requires the date of proposed marriage.
Do we need this to take to the local Primerie with the passports etc to set the date (if so, how can we do this as the Consulate requires a date)  & can we get the other documents translated, notorised with appostile in Romania? The whole process is staggeringly complex for non-Romanian speakers.

Questions and answers about formalities

Ask your question
ajamal71
Immigration solicitor
By ajamal71
Testing1
Trip to Romania
By Testing1
Robin & Sue
peainapod
renewing permis de sedere
By peainapod
Azirac
Processing for the release of passport
By Azirac
campanmaryrose1995
Romanian Immigration
By campanmaryrose1995

Expatriate health insurance in Romania

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Romania

Moving to Romania

Find tips from professionals about moving to Romania

Travel insurance in Romania

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Romania

Flights to Romania

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Romania