At the Prefecture, Paris

I have received an entry visa to France and will report shortly to the Paris Prefecture to obtain a long term residence card. The instructions accompanying the entry visa tell me to bring an update to the original set of application documents for the entry visa.

Questions:
Will the Prefecture KEEP these documents and not return them to me?
Will the Prefecture demand a new set of documents when I attempt to renew the residency card after one year? Should I now make multiple copies of these documents in anticipation of these events?

Sorry about the apparent naivety of these questions, but I suffer the anxiety of the new expatriate. Please help and thanks.

[email protected]

Yep!
As a foreigner myself,every single year you will go through the same paperwork. Do copies and send them, you won't get them back.
And don't do the copies for every year as every year they'll ask for the update and the ar before documents are useless...

Where do you come from?

I would definitely recommend that you get there early.  I did my application in Versailles, not in Paris.  But the first day I went, I was there 45 minutes before the doors opened at 9:30 am and by 10 am I still hadn't approached the door and they announced they weren't taking anyone else that day. The next day I got their at 6:45 am and I was about 10th in line.

-Jeff

Good thing I am not in Paris.
Here in the South is different, but we still have to wait ages!

Lucky for me that I am an American married to a French woman so my Carte de Sejour is good for 10 years. :) 

-Jeff

http://blog.stridesolutions.com

Arg!! 10 years!!!
I have to renew every year :'(