Moving to Malaysia

Hi there. My wife, 3 kids(2,4,5) and I will be moving to Malaysia in August this year. I will be working in Putrajaya and was wondering where a good spot would be to stay. We will most definitely get a car fairly soon after arriving so driving won't be a problem.  Living in Putrjaya would put me  very close to my job, but I'm concerned that it might be a bit secluded. We would like to live somewhere that is expat friendly and has good access to shopping centers and things to do. Where would be a good spot in KL and not to far of a drive to Putrjaya.

Any ideas or advice on living in either KL or Putrajaya would be appreciated. Any other advice about settling in and finding a place to rent will also be very helpful. We don't really want to be paying much more than 3000 a month. Would that get us a decent enough family pad?

Much appreciated

Louis

Hi Louis!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Thanks Armand!

I'm really looking forward to Malaysia and it's multiculturalism, fantastic food and friendly people. One of the reasons my wife and I chose Malaysia is the fact that it's a great melting pot of cultures, religions and foods.......and great beaches.

Cheers:cool:

(Moderated)

Dear Lippie,

Putrajay is a bit off hand :-( for expat living.
A lot is now going on in Cyberjaya whic is cross the road but still few years to go.

The best option will be leave somewhere near the fringe of KL and with good connection to MEX highway which will take 25min to reach Putrajaya.

If you need some location drop me an email

Cheers
Ladislav

There is at least one hour between putrajaya and KL and in peak hours two at least. Putrajaya is another city far away!

Many new expats in putrajaya suffer "slow death by boredom" and some locals also! Single expats don't last long but with a family it's better and off couse putrajaya is developing. You will need two cars one for the wife.

Robotman wrote:

Hello Lippie,
Wish u a pleasant stay in Malaysia.:)
Some favourites expat area in Klang Valley (this is some sort of golden triangle area)
1. Mont Kiara
2. Bangsar
3. Damansara

No one would live in bangsar and mk and work in putrajaya ! Ok maybe school reason but the commuting would be painful and expensive. Damansara means lots of areas.

I would suggest live in putrajaya (and that is big so depends) and stay first of all in temp accom and get to know area. With three small kids you need schools.

Now if you haven't been offered free schooling this is the bit where I hope you are paid a lot as schools in Malaysia are very expensive. Assuming you have a school place at least for oldest one best to live not too far away and can network with other parents from school. That is the best way out of KL for families. Otherwise if you get a maid you can visit KL for weekends and join social groups. In the weekday it is too far away.

If you don't have a paid school place then check out school fees before deciding to move to KL. Btw turnover in expat in places like putrajaya and Penang is significantly higher than KL for a reason as it isn't everyones cup of tea. With three young kids I guess you basically want other families to meet up with. Malaysians are generally very friendly and the mistake I noticed before is expat families look just for expat family friends then get bored missing the obvious thing that great new friends and neighbors are all around them.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the fantastic and valuable advice. My schooling for the kids is taken care of and the will attend Nexus International School.

I think that I would prefer staying close to the school and go to KL or other places over the weekend. A maid/helper might be an option, but I have no idea how that works in Malaysia.

It seems that housing is cheaper in the Putrajaya area as well. I have around 3000 to play with from my employer and I will be willing to add a bit to that. I should be able to get a decent place for that, right?

Thanks again

Cheers

Lippie

Nexus is a good school and you will meet lots of nice people via the school so just stay near to the school. 3k is enough for a nice house! Good luck!

You may choose to stay at 16 Siera Puchong, which is convenience for you to work,but make sure you must drive,because that area so far would not as a good suggestion if you have no car. there are few type of properties such as terrace link house, Semi Detach, and townhouse. full furnish unit may cost about MYR2.5k -MYR3k.depends on the furniture and ID.

The place is new housing development, it will only take 10mins reach to Putrajaya, Cyberjaya, shopping mall ( Jusco seri Kembangan) Giant and Tesco Hypermarket,it will take only about 10mins or less to reach, or during weekend you may drive to IOI mall, Sunway or even KL. there is a directly highway named MEX ( Maju Express highway) reach to KLCC or bangsar area within 40mins time.

To be frank, Putrajaya and cyberjaya is a nice place to work,but not stay. during evening time, it is just like "Vampire city", it will very difficult to see people walk on the road unless you are in hotel or resorts area.

for more details, you may let me know.

Welcome to Malaysia

I got same problem . Kids in nexus, wondering where to live? Keep in touch.

Puchong will be a good palce for you to stay, The new housing area at Puchong will be Bandar Bukit Puchong, or Bandar Puteri Puchong. Although Puchong have big traffic congestion problem all the time, but the local authorities is improving it. Bandar Bukit Puchong is nearer to Putrajaya. But a car will be required.
Good Luck.

HI,

I been working in Puchong IOI business park for 6years. I do not recommend to live in Puchong.
Try to look at around sunway.

regards
Ladislav

ladislav_varga wrote:

HI,

I been working in Puchong IOI business park for 6years. I do not recommend to live in Puchong.

regards
Ladislav

Bear in mind that she/he is working in Putrajaya. early morning since 7.20am,evening 4pm,the traffic is terrible congested,The LDP toll plaza will be a nightmare if choose to stay at Sunway.If she/he choose to stay at 16 Siera Puchong, will be perfect to them,1st,nearer to the school, 2nd nearer to work place, and easy access to KL using MEX highway. I guess they will not go for shopping every single minute isn't. so still can drive to Sunway(LDP) in 20-30mins time,or directly reach to KLCC( using MEX highway) within 40mins time without any congestion..

Cheers :)

ladislav_varga wrote:

HI,

regards
Ladislav

IOI Mall area is the worst traffic jam area, until Puchong Perdana(within Puchong area).
So if staying near to the Puchong Kajang TOll as what said by the friend above, i think think there will be no problem.

Thanks for all of the replies above! You are helpful.