Importing my car from UK

I've been living in Malta for 9 months, not working. I have an ID card here but have not yet applied for residency permit. I have now plucked up the courage to want to drive here. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo at home in Hampshire that I would like here. I have owned it for over 2 years. So I have 2 options (to my knowledge): get someone to drive it over or get it imported by UKtoMalta. UKtoMalta told me it would cost €1050 - I was hoping for a way costing half that! Can any one tell me:
*How long does the journey take and what sort of cost would be involved - ferries etc?
*Are there any cheaper but reliable transporters from Uk to Malta?
* Would I have to purchase Maltese road tax or would I be OK to use the UK tax until it expires?
* Are there any special requirements/conditions regarding keeping a UK registered car in Malta?

Failing this, I may have to sell my car and buy another here...

Sliema <3 wrote:

I've been living in Malta for 9 months, not working. I have an ID card here but have not yet applied for residency permit.

In which case you are breaking the law,as by applying for an ID card you have declared yourself resident, so you may have some explaining to do.

Did you own the car for more than 2 years when you applied for the ID card ?

George... Sorry but read the details...

He has been living in Malta for 9 months with ID card... nothing wrong with this.. Car is in UK, Owned for more thatn 2 years..

This is a very easy case of Bring in the car and successfully owning it in Malta with paying very little to have it here...

Sliema you will have to pay some... but you will not have to pay the main amount of duty.

Julian

If someone lives in Malta for more than 3 months they have to apply for a residency certificate

the authorities will look for any reason to not allow someone to import a car tax free

"To qualify for an exemption the vehicle must:
have been registered in the name of the individual transferring his normal residence for a period of at least twenty four months immediately before the date of his transfer of residence to Malta and the vehicle is still so registered when the vehicle is imported or brought into Malta; "

transfer of residence could be counted from when ID card applied for

"•    the vehicle is declared  for exemption not earlier than two months before the date on which applicant becomes normally resident in Malta and not later then twelve months following that date; "

so you are within the 12 months

PM Sent Sliema

George, it depends when Sliema was actually registered here on the Maltese ID...

Sliema could you give us details of when you purchased the Car (DATE) and when you became Resident in Malta (Got your ID)

This would help a lot

Julian