GYM

Is there any decent gym for men and women in Tripoli?

krlos wrote:

Is there any decent gym for men and women in Tripoli?

I believe there are gyms in  health club  in  5 stars of Hotels in  Tripoli.During my work in United Arab Emirates in Health Club  many expatriates and local people used to make a membership
for using sport facilities of hotel or bought ticket for one day.

There is a gym in Gorgey, very nice one it is name is Sultan

Another gym is in Dahra area

I am planning to supervise a health club in new opening hotel in Tripoli.
I just waiting my work permit.I hope its take no long time since they are waiting me to join  in july/august

Sultans Gym is a chain, so there are a few dotted up and down Tripoli, its 5 lyd per visit but gets a bit cheaper if you sign up for 3, 6 or 12 months, but remember no mixed gym sessions, so you can only gom certain days. There is one just off Gargaresh road, if you are coming from Regatta, turn left at the side of the life fitness centre, follow very rough road down to the sea, turn right and it's on your right

Thank you all very much for the information. You are very kind.

Very good question and what will it cost per mont?

In Gorey Gym it costs 45LYD per month
in Dahra Gym  it costs 25 LYD per month

Are there no gyms where my husband and I can work out together?

Is sad that I can't train with my wife. Maybe she will like it in that way. In Dubai (Ibn Batuta Mall) is a mixed gym, maybe if somebody open it in Tripoli for sure will be a good hit

maybe in the new hotel the gym will be mixed... ?

Hi
In hotel Wadan (Dahra), they have a fitness facility (including gym+pool+suana/steam/showers). Bit pricy but worth money, it is 1100LD and 1900LD for 6 months and 1 yr for one person respectively. family packages are also available. Both males/females can work out together.
Equipment is modren and very well maintained.
Hope this helps
Rgds
Waqas

excellent!

Sara1980 wrote:

There is a gym in Gorgey, very nice one it is name is Sultan

Another gym is in Dahra area

Hi,

I am new to Tripoli. Can you please tell me the exact address of the gym in Dahra. It will be really helpful if you could provide some contact numbers of the same.

Thanks.

The gym in Dahra is closed now.

Palachakh wrote:

how sad !!!

any other gym close by ???

Palachakh wrote:

one more thing ...

can i buy one good treadmill in Tripoli e.g. that of Precor ...if yes, where and for how much ?

Check out Precor's website if they have local representation. Life Fitness is represented by Agar in Gergaresh. Neither Life Fitness nor Precore make "good" treadmills. Consider the heavenly Woodway or at least the incline trainers by FreeMotion. By it used (or even new) from ebay or craigslist and ship it here. Much cheaper

Or run outside. I do it everyday. Lovely. And cheap.

you run on the beach? or in town?

MoEl wrote:

you run on the beach? or in town?

I run around the Saraj/Janzour areas, on the roads and dirt tracks that are all over the place - GoogleEarth is my guide!
Every 2 wks I run with the local Hash which always throws up a few new routes to try out.
If you really like your running, I'll be organising the 2nd Unofficial Tripoli Half Marathon in Oct. We had about 50 runners last year.

Self promotion time: site for local runners & cyclists

Mudman wrote:

I'll be organising the 2nd Unofficial Tripoli Half Marathon in Oct. We had about 50 runners last year.

Muddy - post up more about that event, on the other site too (DD's). My bro is a big time triathalon/marathon competitor and could spread the word in the UK :)

Have you ever seen women doing outdoor exercises? I would like to go running, but I am not so sure how this would be accepted.

saritabas wrote:

Have you ever seen women doing outdoor exercises? I would like to go running, but I am not so sure how this would be accepted.

Please don't do it! Sorry, but unless you're in a jail like Regatta I wouldn't advise it. Whilst I know of 1 woman who does run solo, I also know of 1 who was attacked close to her home, while her husband 'nipped back' to get something.

There are plenty of women who want to run (Mrs Mudman included) and some go to the Hash runs. There is strength & safety in numbers though, one reason for the website I mentioned in an earlier post is to try and make a place where people can arrange to meet up.

Quite a few ladies ran in the half marathon last year, including one more Snr lady who walked the whole course. As on the hash runs, we made a point of watching out for the safety of all female participants.

There is a ladies' circuits class at Regatta if you're interested ?

Sandman6 wrote:
Mudman wrote:

I'll be organising the 2nd Unofficial Tripoli Half Marathon in Oct. We had about 50 runners last year.

Muddy - post up more about that event, on the other site too (DD's). My bro is a big time triathalon/marathon competitor and could spread the word in the UK :)

Will do thx.
We had a guy from the UK who wanted to come over for our 'little' race last yr, but as you can imagine the visa issues proved too much :rolleyes:

Tell your brother there's a tri (sprint & oly distances) in Malta, Oct 3rd. I'm trying to get a few peeps from Tripoli to go.

Shall I put your name down ? ;):D

Thanks for the advice. I have signed up for the website a few days ago and would like to join you on the half marathon. Generally, I am very happy about any info on outdoor sports that women can do in Libya, just like the ladies circuit you have mentioned.

You English soilmen!

I didn't know that Libya produces its own Hash? And how do you run with it, you load a kilo in your fanny pack and follow the wind?

I got the site to which Mudman linked. is there another. and what, or who is DD?

What kind of sprint-tri is happening in Malta in Oct?

Finally, I never thought I would consider running outdoors in or near Tripoli. Aren't you concerned about air quality (CO, CO2, dust and all kinds of cr@p suspended in the air)?? (not that indoor air is much better either, but, eh

Mudman wrote:

Shall I put your name down ? ;):D

Only place I run to is the bar :lol:

MoEl wrote:

and what, or who is DD?

DESERT-DOGS

Finally, I never thought I would consider running outdoors in or near Tripoli. Aren't you concerned about air quality (CO, CO2, dust and all kinds of cr@p suspended in the air)?? (not that indoor air is much better either, but, eh

Try sitting next to the flatulent sack splitter in the office here.....:rolleyes:

MoEl wrote:

I got the site to which Mudman linked.
What kind of sprint-tri is happening in Malta in Oct?

My site has the details on it or Google: Malta Triathlon Association

MoEl wrote:

Aren't you concerned about air quality (CO, CO2, dust and all kinds of cr@p suspended in the air)??

No.

Bought a treadmill and a weight lifting equipment for 1000LD. Not bad I would say. Forgot the brand name though.. Made in China but working good.

My static bike was 215 LD. All in Tripoli. Prices are about the same if you get a local to do the bargaining for you.

If you're staying here for more than one year, I think to have equipment at home to be used at your own free time is more economical and rewarding.

Yea, I have seen, I go to Abo Seta( Alforosea)
-Al shat street.
Men and women run together. 1 L.D for the car and that is all, it is open from 5am to 10pm
Tuesdays closed.

waqas wrote:

Hi
In hotel Wadan (Dahra), they have a fitness facility (including gym+pool+suana/steam/showers). Bit pricy but worth money, it is 1100LD and 1900LD for 6 months and 1 yr for one person respectively. family packages are also available. Both males/females can work out together.
Equipment is modren and very well maintained.

Went there yesterday to checked it out.

Not worth it. totally not worth it. All they have is few Technogym treadmills and elliptical. I went there fancying some free weights or at least a pullup bar. Not even that was there! You're better off buying your own treadmill AND elliptical. The walk-in closet of my first apartment was larger than their steam room and sauna combined.

Only thing they may have going for them is the spa--very reasonable rates.

i have visited many shops here. but all of them are having cheap and unreliable treadmills only.

muneer2908 wrote:

i have visited many shops here. but all of them are having cheap and unreliable treadmills only.

www.Ebay.com search "freemotion"    or google "woodway Desmo H" or "woodway Curve"

I already found some good treadmills on ebay within my budget. However, the problem is that if I face a problem with the treadmill tomorrow, they won't be able to provide any support except via emails. Can I rely on ebay for the treadmill ???

I started going to a gym near Mahree market,  for about 3 months .it is good as there are plenty and various kinds of machines, but the only problem I face is that it is only 3 days a week and it is until 6 pm for women, and as I work until 5 I have difficulty to have enough time for the gym and sometimes I miss it because of my work.

muneer2908 wrote:

they won't be able to provide any support except via emails.

And sometimes they would shun your emails. Ebay = mostly buy and forget, that's what you get for paing less. There are, however, few sellers who promise and provide excellent post-purchase service.

muneer2908 wrote:

Can I rely on ebay for the treadmill ???

All you need to keep it running, if you get a decently made one, is lubricating it every few weeks. This would easily get you 2-4 years of usage. And by the time your assignment is over, you will have gotten your money back.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I have never had a treadmill in past. I have used them in gyms only. So I don't know what is meant by "lubricating it every few weeks". Could you please elaborate on this.

I am thinking of buying this treadmill on ebay. Please have a look and let me know your suggestion about the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 3D1&_rdc=1

Thanks.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n … mill+guide

Much better than what I would say.
However, you don't need a commercial-grad TM if you (or even your family) are the sole users.