What do you do on Fridays?

Just thought that could serve another source of learning how to entertain yourself in Libya.

The three of us (the husband, baby and me) like to walk along the Cornish both ways - from Radisson to the Green Square and from Radisson to Al-Farusiya stadium. The upper embankment has not been opened to public yet, but until recently it was possible to get on it and it is so lovely there.

Palachakh wrote:

walk along the Cornish

I didn't know that they can be a source of amusement on a Libyan Friday ;)

And to answer your question, I try to use my time wisely-I read erotic paperbacks. (not really, but even that beats a Friday in Tripoli)

Cycle. It's the only day it's safe enough out on the roads. Either 60-90km rides in Gharyan or long stuff from Janzour into the countryside.
And Hash.

I'm going to be painting the mosh pit this Friday :rolleyes:

BBQ at the farm!

Fresh peaches off the trees. Grapes on their way. Figs almost ready! Big bon fire! DONE

drink... eggnog...

Normally train at the Radisson gym, then go for a walk to the Cornish. Back to the flat for some good grub and some grape juice :P. This weekend Gym, then out to my mates Villa :)

actually, Friday always makes me headache, coz I have no idea where I can go and what I can do. All the libyan people like staying at home or their farm all days and so few places of entertainment......
if u've got any good idea, pls let me know and I'll appreciate it

Brunch, drink, BBQ, drink some more, sleep.
Don't you just hate Friday's :lol:

Clansman wrote:

Normally train at the Radisson gym,

Clansman, what do you train for?

I will be busy this Friday, so my husband will take the baby to Janzour beach alone. It is good to go to the beach while there are not so much locals there - girls feel more relaxed.

MoEl wrote:
Clansman wrote:

Normally train at the Radisson gym,

Clansman, what do you train for?

Well mate, I am old, prone to gaining weight ,whenever I even look at a burger I gain about 2 lbs, so just to keep in shape my friend (vanity- true). I have been training for various sports ( swimming, boxing, football etc)) since I was about 7 years old, so it is just a natural thing for me to do.

Clansman wrote:

Well mate, I am old,

In '09 45 year old Mark Coleman fought and beat 32 YO Stephan Bonnar.

46 YO Randy Couture fought and beat 32 YO Brandon Vera in '09. In '07 Coture not only lasted, but won a 5 round unanimous decision against the Miletich portege Tim Sylvia (a 203cm monster). Five months later he KOed Gabriel Gonzaga--the beast who KOed Crocop with a RH kick to head.
Couture, this year and at 47 year young, is scheduled to fight a nasty boxer with an impressive record in UFC 118.

Vanity, however, is a very good motive.

Clansman, what's in the Radisson's?

Sandman6 wrote:

So when's the pole to arrive? ;)

Palachakh is counting the white cars today ;)

MoEl wrote:

Clansman, what's in the Radisson's?

Good to here you are into mixed martial arts as well my friend. The Radisson has 3 restaurants, a well equiped gym (machines and free weights) and an ok outdoor pool. Very expensive though, for my wife and I for 6 months it was 1900LYD, but we get to train together, unlike most gyms here it is mixed, and just round the corner from my flat (apartment-for our cousins over 'the pond').

Couture was my first favourite in MMA, don't get to see any of it here, but have seen some Muay Thai which comes a close second for me.

Clansman wrote:

don't get to see any of it here

Are you sure? no way? I was still telling myself "hang on a minute, there's gotta be a way to get even Spike TV or something"

Clansman wrote:

but have seen some Muay Thai which comes a close second for me.

On what?

I suspect the Radisson's open to the public if one decides to join?

Palachakh wrote:

I will be busy this Friday, so my husband will take the baby to Janzour beach alone. It is good to go to the beach while there are not so much locals there - girls feel more relaxed.

I have met them there :)

Janzour is a good spot even when it gets busy: coffee, swimming, tennis, bowling, cinema, and restaurants.  Across the road is horsebacking riding lessons. 
If you have a car or get a ride with someone Sabrata has an amazing beach, inaddition to the ruins. 
Exploring the old medina in the afternoon and then having coffee in one of the lovely cafes. 
But for most, it is BBQs, going to farms etc.

MoEl wrote:

I suspect the Radisson's open to the public if one decides to join?

Yeah anyone can come in for food and a coffee etc, but the gym/pool is members and hotel residents only. As for the Muay Thai, one of the Thor sats sports channels, can't remember which one sorry.

Palachakh wrote:
Sandman6 wrote:

So when's the pole to arrive? ;)

Whenever the container get here....probably July to be realistic ;)

BLUEJAY
where do you go for bowling and where is the cinema you are talking about?

They are in Janzour Tourist Village.  The cinema usually shows Arabic movies, but there is a film society which shows English or subtitled movies there once a month.  Info for the film society can be found on the website Look Out Libya.

There is a zoo which is now closed for renovations which will open on Fridays and a number of museums which are not open on Fridays. 

I am still finding out new things so if I find anything interesting I will post it.

In the Medina I came across a kind of museum (It was written on it that it used to be a harem place for the Sultan) - it is located on the second street from the embankent - we set out at the Marc Aurelius Arch and took the first turn left and went to the Medina entrance - the museum was on the right after some maybe tem minutes' walk. It cost 2 LYD and of course does not work on Fridays and Saturdays.

I wonder if anyone has been there - is it quite safe if me and another girl will make a try? I can't go there on week days as the hubby is in the office and they don't work on the weekend.

It's called Ahmed Karamanli's Harim ( meaning family ) or at as it is mostly called Ahmed Pasha's home.
His family was the last reigning family in Tripoli, appointed by the Sultan in Istanbul.
the Red Saraya museum in Green Square was his first residence and office from which he and his sons would spot foreign ships to be raided and crew held hostage for ransom : )
mmmh... Good ol' days...The history of the family is very interesting and full of blood shed.
btw u can organize private dinners at the residence too, ask the keeper, it's  worth it if u want to make something original for someone visiting ...

Yes the medina is very safe since the only few left living there since the 60's are immigrant workers and since a few years the medina is going through renovation in order to become a museum.
Now you can see the first Banco di Roma fully restored and being used as a bank : ) also the baths next to it have undergone some serious renovation, oppsite the bank there is bookstore and elementary school, which was where the crews were held hostage : )
sometimes history does repeat it self, keep it up kids and don't forget ur homework !!

Thanks for the history lesson redsaraya, interesting stuff!  Will check it out with the kids.  Thanks Palachakh for informing us of this place!

my pleasure! Please, post the feedback. I'm not sure if I manage to get there before we leave for vacation.

Thanks redsaraya for the info. I supposed the part of Medina from the Green Sqare was meant for tourists farther than souvenir bazaar, as there are plates both in Arabic and English on the buildings. There is a not bad couscous place there called old city(?)

I am only still not sure about safety out there - farther than the souvenirs, as the hubby does not very much like the place, and for me and a girlfriend...

and I seem to have seen there something like a door of a Christian temple - with Christian crists on it - like a church's door... It is so interesting to walk there really, espectially now when there is more time till it's dark and yet not so hot. The only thing is safety, if going without a man.