SPEARFISHING Group

Alright folks...

Here be the deal.

Spear fishing is a relatively in-expensive sport. Great fun, great exercise, and you get to learn a bit more about your self doing so. It can almost be considered a semi Yoga style activity, breath control, playing with your metabolism.

Here is a great explanation...

http://www.sfdj.com/sand/freedive.html 

I usually enjoy bringing a small bbq out with me and a frying pan with a weeee bit of oil depending on your taste, and have a great feast after the hunting.

Great social activity well... the social part comes in play after you get out haha cant do much talking with a piece of plastic in your mouth underwater, unless of course we have got some dentists out there interested in coming out.

There are Great locations close to Tripoli, always up for suggestions as well.

What do you need to take part?
Snorkel + goggles
wet suit
flippy flops (flippers)
a decent spear fishing gun
a set of strong lungs!

Now if anyone is interested in taking part in such an activity we should get something going! A little crew of some sort.

Lets get this topic rollin! summer heat is on its way and there isn't anything better than using a natural cooling system to chillllll out and have fun!

Im totally in! Nice insight the site provides!!

Two questions... all ther gear you mentioned is available at Tripoli? And how much would each item cost?! (Except for the set of strong lungs of course hehe)

By the way... check this site

http://www.sportesport.it/wrecks022lb.htm

I spear fish in San Diego and am moving to Tripoli in 2 weeks!

I use a traditional Hawaiian sling. Makes life a little more fun and there is more game to it :)

I would like to go out soon after I arrive!

LeBravo wrote:

Two questions... all ther gear you mentioned is available at Tripoli? And how much would each item cost?! (Except for the set of strong lungs of course hehe)

these stuff is available at the shops opposite to the fish market, tent shape like, you walk towards Marcus Arch, turn left as you walking towards the Libyan Central Bank, here is the location 32.899489,13.176953

LeBravo wrote:

Awesome!

I will give you the price ranges

-Wet suit 45-150lyd (depending on how much you would like to spend and the quality but a decent suit can be purchased for about 50-60 which would do ya fine)

-A weight belt with weights / belt 5lyd weights 3lyd per kilo I use 7 kilograms but i also have a thicker gauge suit you may need 5 or 4 again this depends on the gauge of the suit you purchase.

-Goggles and snorkel 30lyd for a nice pair

-fins can range from 30 to 200
Getting a cheap pair can get you into the sport until you feel like hey i really enjoy this i dont mind paying a bit more for a decent pair when the time comes, but you can absolutely feel the difference between free diving fins and scuba fins there is a huge difference in flex and propulsion.

last but not least the gun.
- it can cost anywhere from 75 bucks to 200
I bought 2 guns here in tripoli
mares jet 70 paid 100lyd (good gun for shore hunting around tight spots great power and easy reloads)

mares phantom carbon 75 bought for 140 Which is one of my favs, very light great power great accuracy very easy to maneuver.

Then there is the Hawaiian sling. Which is one of my favs as well. it takes the sport to a whole other level. Its pretty much a slingshot but underwater with a longer lighter spear. It can be made very simply. And the cheapest method to hunt with spear under water. the slings range from 20 to 40 lyd and the spears about 30 lyd
This method separates the boys from the men! haha i think that is the saying needed here but it essentially means you have to be alot sneakier and get quite closer. It removes the technological aspect out of the sport and evens the battle ground even more. But i would say it does require a bit more experience to get used to. But this method can be built very simply and once you get used to it you will fall in love with it.

iShouldBsurfn wrote:

I spear fish in San Diego and am moving to Tripoli in 2 weeks!

I use a traditional Hawaiian sling. Makes life a little more fun and there is more game to it :)

I would like to go out soon after I arrive!

Bring your gear! i had trouble finding a spear so i crafted one my self they may have brought more I havent been to the shops lately I will make a trip out soon to check what they have.

Ohh i forgot to say... IŽm totally inexperienced in diving, actually im a good swimmer. Hope you guys can give me some tips on how to do it once i get in Libya, the activity seems very relaxing and entertaining.

As for the prices, things are really cheap in Libya, thats nice! very very nice!

LeBravo wrote:

Ohh i forgot to say... IŽm totally inexperienced in diving, actually im a good swimmer. Hope you guys can give me some tips on how to do it once i get in Libya, the activity seems very relaxing and entertaining.

As for the prices, things are really cheap in Libya, thats nice! very very nice!

its quite easy... but takes time to perfect. if your a good swimmer you will enjoy this... you can move about 2 or 3 times the speed and just with some flippin and floppin. Going under is the intense part. That is the part that takes skill and battling waves. shooting, Aim ahead and letter rip! haha youll get the hang of it.