Selling UK car in Malta

Hi

First of all, I'm new on this forum, so hello to everyone!

I brought my UK car into Malta last year and got a 12 month temporary admission permit from Transport Malta - which is due to run out March 2012.

The registration tax is 3500eur - which is not exactly a good investment as I'm only going to be staying in Malta until September - so my options are either drive it back to the UK or try and sell the car here.

As I understand it, to sell it here I would still need to pay the registration tax, verify the mileage, get the VRT done (+ anything else I might not know about?!) - which I don't mind doing if I know I have a buyer, but not before, just in case I don't sell it and have to drive it back to UK.

I'm sure the process is probably less complicated than it sounds but bear in mind time is running out and selling cars isn't really my strong point :/ I feel like I need some help!

So any advice related to any of the above or tips on where to advertise/car dealers that buy cars, is much appreciated :)

Hi miss bereni,

welcome to the forum.

I think you should try and talk to a friend who knows something about cars. You cannot sell it or even give it away without paying the registration tax so the question is: Is it worth it? Will you be able to sell it for a decent price after paying the tax? From what I hear from other Expats you can only easily sell a car in Malta if it is priced like a give-away! I saw a BMW with a Temporary Permit here in Sliema the other day! Is that your car ?

Financially you might have to take a loss or drive it back to the UK before the permit expires.

Cheers
Ricky

Have you thought about asking for a further extension until September or October maybe, then you can drive it back when you are ready to go

Julian

Thanks for replies, much appreciated  :)

I've asked around and people pointed me in the direction of Malta Park to get an idea of value to see if it was worth paying the registration tax, but to be honest I'm none the wiser as there are such big differences in price for very similar cars.....life is so much easier with Parker's guide! 

Ricky - if the car you saw was silver and parked towards the Balluta bay end of Sliema - then there is a fair chance that was my car!

Julian - I hadn't even thought of asking for an extension. Thinking back to when I applied for the permit I'm sure it was stated that is was a maximum of 12 months, but shy bairns get nowt....so has to be worth asking!

Having said that, even if I did get an extension on the permit, my MOT runs out on 14th Mar....road tax...insurance...

Anyway, I'll post back any more info I find out in case it's of use to anyone in the furure

Hi ,

it must have been as I live near Balluta Bay!

I've heard from friends selling cars on Maltapark that you will probably get a lot of rediculous offers for a decent car - like 250 € for a 10.000 € car so I wish you luck.Even if you post it with a really good price you will get these calls !

I wish you luck.
Ricky

Speak to a Dealer and see what they would offer you... you might be surprised.

Julian

How about a 2007 Range Rover Vogue 3.7 diesel. Would there be a queue to buy it if it was driven from the UK to a Maltese buyer.

@vincj123

Hello and welcome !

Please note that this is an old thread from 2012.. the members are no longer active.

Feel free to start a thread of your own on the Malta forum so that active members can guide you.

all the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed - 2012]

Closed