Best place to live in Ecuador...

Ensatina wrote:

Mexico is a wonderful place but the violence which affects the people living there...is a bit devastating. Sorry to go on like this, it is a sore point with me.

No, your experience is very needed as a balancing point. I would like to see it on the more active Mexico forums.

The expats who write--especially on the latest thread I've read--have lived there between two and forty years. All speak Spanish and few live in expat enclaves, so most of their friends and neighbors are native Mexicans, and they would be as subject to local violence as anyone.

I believe in the case of the ones who've lived there the longest their opinion of Mexico is based more on the past than on the present, though if they or anyone they know had been the victim of such violence as you describe, I'm sure we'd hear about it. They seem to think that if one is not involved in the drug trade (or is a cop, apparently), the cartel violence does not affect them.

Everyone's opinion of any place they live in the world will be based on their experiences of it, of course. It sounds to me as if the universe is very strongly telling you that Mexico is not the place for you :).

Thank you for writing of your experiences, and I apologize for helping to steer this thread into OT territory. Carry on :).

I'm not trying to start a political jousting match here, but ...

As someone who thinks global warming is a reality, has the climate in Ecuador and the region in general seen significant changes over perhaps the last decade or so ...?

For example, here in Bend , Oregon we haven't had snow "stick" in town for many years although as recently as a decade ago it was a typical ski town with snow on the ground for weeks at a time.

I'm not too concerned about the snow in Ecuador (I'm not planning on scaling Cotopaxi anytime soon), but am curious if the wet/dry seasonality or average daily temps have changed much in the past decade or two ...?

Carlos

Carlos,

There is no doubt that weather patterns are changing. One only needs to access the latest data. The cause is not necessarily important to this discussion.

Here in Loja, we are experiencing some very strange weather patterns (much more rain and wilder temperatures fluctuations). I have only been here for two years, so I have little to base this on. But the family and I have discussed this many times over they last month. They have lived here a long time and have extended family in Zaruma, Malacatos, Quito Guayaquil, and a few other places. They have all said that the weather is not "normal." By that, they mean not the same as past years.

My background is heavily rooted in science and I too believe in global warming. But this is such a complex phenomenon it takes a lot of data and study to be more definitive. I do know that weather patterns here seem to be quite stable, but are becoming a bit more erratic; maybe one of the signs of global warming, but most certainly a sign that change is occurring.

Oh boy, that mold took over your mind! sorry to hear that. Well, weather has also been unusual in La Libertad. It has been cold.
Ok. Let me put my words in perspective: to me cold means below 65F :)However, the highland tourists have still been coming to enjoy the ocean. They tell us horror stories of temps in the 40s. Bbrrr.
Hope you manage to get rid of thet mold.

Hola!

You have to be more specific about what you are looking for, amigo.
Best for what? Surfing= montanita, city buzz=Quito, chillin' = Vilcabamba, etc.

Cuenca is a delight because it has all the amenities of a big city, some find it a bit chilly in the mountains. But as the locals say, you can have all four seasons...in the same day!

Buena suerte

Here's a good summary of expat communities in Ecuador:

http://yourescapetoecuador.com/retireme … n-ecuador/

Cuenca!

Who knows what's in store for our lil blue orb ... in the long run?

Thanks for responding.  It's so hard to get comfortable with weather data in developing areas, even in the Internet Age.

Sounds like "in the short run" the weather has been less desirable as of lately.  Perhaps in my remaining decade(s) of existential relevance I can at least hope for the same or better weather as you've all experienced recently.

Carlos   aka "ElGringoBueno"  :cool:

PS  Loving Ecuador, most Oregonians (i.e., west of the Cascade mountains) are accustomed to "mold" in our heads and everywhere else, so I should fit right in.  Now, about those voices ...  :whistle:

Chuckdee, I was just browsing you linked website and looked at the requirements for the pensioners visa.

Read this:

"Getting Your Documents Apostilled

Consulates don't do apostilles. These are done by the Secretary of State for the state from which the document originated. If it's a federal document like a social security income letter, then you would need to send it to the U.S. Secretary of State in Washington, DC."

The US Secretary of State has to apoistille  verification of Social Security income? Holy fricking cow. I had no idea that document needed to come from the Sec of State. Any one have experience doing this?

It is my understanding, and my experience, that Social Security has to be Apostilled by the State in which it is received (not the U.S. State Department). For example, if you live in Florida, the proper Apostilling authority is the Secretary of State of Florida and you send your documents to Tallahassee (I believe, you'll have to look that up). On the other hand, military retirement is Apostilled at the Federal level (the U.S. State Department in Washington DC). The titles are confusing, but the key is where you send your documents to be Apostilled. If you have to deal with the U.S. State Department, be aware that their turnaround times can be maddenly slow. Because of the time constraints for documents, you should probably first prepare and send off all documents requiring an apostille from U.S. State Department, before dealing with the other required documents. Things do change so you may want to verify this by calling or going the the SS administration nearest you.

Cuenca is very comfortable and safe in my opinion. I actually like to see the military roaming the streets and I have never seen any weapons except for the bank security.
It is colder here than I expected but I just put on more clothes and enjoy sleeping in this climate.
Cuenca will be my anchor until I have time to explore more options.
Love Ecuador!

Joseph is correct.
Go to the on line Social Security site, and download your letter. There is a link just for this purpose. Then, you get it notarized. I had to explain to the notary the reason for it having to be notarized, then you bring it in for the apostille at your State Attorney Generals office.
Good Luck,
Neil

Before I left Texas, I called the local SS office, explained what I needed and they sent proof of income as well as documented history of payments from the time of eligibility.
My bank notarized for free and I walked a couple blocks to the Secretary of State for an Apostille.

Mehrlyn wrote:

I live in a furnished 2 bedroom apartment that is very comfortable.

How much do you pay per month?

Was your place furnished?

Did you find it fairly easy to find acceptable accommodations?

Different towns have different levels of "safe for a woman to walk around in."  My husband and I have been traveling the Ecuador coast for almost 5 weeks.  Olon is the only town that we visited that I feel even partially safe walking around alone, but limits will always exist, just like in the states.  I would not recommend a lone person (esp a woman) walking anywhere alone at night, even during the day you need to be alert in your surroundings.  Olon is a small community where you can pretty much get to know almost everyone, and I love all the people here.  But, new people are constantly coming in, the town is growing, and many Ecuadorians from Gye and Quito come to the coast for holiday.  You must always be alert to your surroundings but at least in a small town you will get to know the locals and know who isn't a local so you can be more aware.

Olon, very near Montanita, has a very active expat community.  They meet most Wednesday evenings at Ojas, and Saturdays they are usually on the beach at Jerry's Cabaña at 1.  From what I hear (just visiting but planning to move to Olon within the year) they are also active in the orphanage that is just a short distance up the beach.

Hey there , we feel very safe here in Bahia on the north Coast.  Rated the safest City in Ecuador.  As stated after dark watch where you go.  Especially alone. Enjoy Ecuador. 
Living It and Loving It here in Bahia, Ecuador

The main facebook forum I used initially was Ecuador Expats.  Once I decided on the coast, I joined Ruta del Sol Mates and Ecuador Coast.  They are, as you can guess, more geared to coastal questions and info. 

We did a lot of research before making our exploratory visit, and even started Spanish lessons, but most of it cane together once we got here.  We are at the end of our 5 weeks here, found that some places we were really interested in, from what we read on line, didn't match up once we got here, and some that weren't on our radar we really loved once we arrived there.

It is VERY important to do your research but visit as long as you can before making a decision, then rent at least 6 months before you buy.  We are trying to escape the Texas heat but, unfortunately it is now "winter" in Ecuador so we still don't know how hot and/or humid it can get during their "summer."  That is why we will rent first, if it gets too uncomfortable we can easily move to a different climate (Ecuador has many different elevations, thus different climates, I am sure we will find the perfect place for us).

Don't see much posted about Olon/Montanita. Is Olon as "active" as Montanita? How is the health care (hospital, doctors) in the area? What about rentals (condos, Apartments) in the area?

Texas Red,

Hard to separate Olón from Montañita. They sit 5 minutes away from each other and Olón is the residential "ying", to Montañita's entertainment/commercial "yang".

Healthcare in that region is far from stellar.  It truly requires an hour drive to the La Libertad/Salinas region.  Condos in that stretch are virtually non-existent as of today.   Rentals come mostly in the form of sfhs in Olón or hotels in Montañita.  Both can book up quickly during the high-season.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Montanita is where you go to party, lots of hostels, restaurants, and open drug use. Olon is more like going home after the party.  I would NEVER live in Montanita, you can't even drive down the streets due to all the "hippie" type street vendors. 

There are a few long term rentals, and about 10 hostels/hotels in Olon, some really nice and others just a place to crash.  I see all this changing drastically over the next year.  There is so much building going on, and prices are definitely going up in Olon.  Prices, according to those expats we talked with, have about doubled in the last couple of years.  I fear that, by the time I get back there in a year, we won't be able to afford Olon.

You are correct, Montanita and Olon are EXACT opposites!

They are exact opposites but have one thing in common. They are two beaches that are too far from any city with modern infrastructure, making them both difficult places to live long term.

Hi everyone (and Hector and LE particularly)- just finished reading this thread- all 7 pages of it!  My situation might be a little different from yours. I actually still need to work!  I do have a small income of $700 a month but recently ditched my fairly well-paid university job and took a CELTA course so I am a certified English teacher with degrees etc. hoping to find employment. I'm single, Canadian , 50 and on my own looking for the perfect destination that suits me. I am immensely attracted to Equador because of all the wonderful things I have read about it. I definitely intend to visit there before deciding on a permanent location but I am having trouble narrowing down to the best cities/towns to concentrate on. I want something smaller than Quito, less rainy than Cuenca, preferably on or near the coast, inexpensive, with a demand for English teachers!  I am not a fly by night teacher- extremely responsible and looking for a long-term job.

So of all of these lovely towns many of you have convinced me would be wonderful, which ones should I check out first that might have job prospects as well as a fab location. I am definitely coming to see Salinas. Where else would there be a chance of being hired?  BTW, I know the salaries are low there but have some online work too so will be fine.

Any and all responses really appreciated!

Barbrey wrote:

Hi everyone (and Hector and LE particularly)- just finished reading this thread- all 7 pages of it!  My situation might be a little different from yours. I actually still need to work!  I do have a small income of $700 a month but recently ditched my fairly well-paid university job and took a CELTA course so I am a certified English teacher with degrees etc. hoping to find employment. I'm single, Canadian , 50 and on my own looking for the perfect destination that suits me. I am immensely attracted to Equador because of all the wonderful things I have read about it. I definitely intend to visit there before deciding on a permanent location but I am having trouble narrowing down to the best cities/towns to concentrate on. I want something smaller than Quito, less rainy than Cuenca, preferably on or near the coast, inexpensive, with a demand for English teachers!  I am not a fly by night teacher- extremely responsible and looking for a long-term job.

So of all of these lovely towns many of you have convinced me would be wonderful, which ones should I check out first that might have job prospects as well as a fab location. I am definitely coming to see Salinas. Where else would there be a chance of being hired?  BTW, I know the salaries are low there but have some online work too so will be fine.

Any and all responses really appreciated!

You will need $25,000 to invest so you can get a visa. According to International Living Magazine, two can live well in Ecuador on less than $900 a month, so your economics should work out.
Good luck!!

Hi Barbrey,

I am from Vancouver too and live in Ecuador, Bahia de Caraquez. Im far from being retired.
There is a demand for English teachers here. but the pay is usually low.$400-800 a month.
You could open your own school.
Also There are many hotels along the coast that you might be able to work as a receptionist,speaking Spanish would help.
The good thing about Bahia and Salinas is that they are small and you can walk everywhere. You would drain your funds on transportation cost just about everywhere else in Ecuador, Manta, Quito and Cuenca ect.
In and around Bahia food prices are very low, so this would be a big savings on a tight budget.

Hope this helps.

Barbrey,

I would not advise focusing on anyone suggesting you can live "comfortably" in Ecuador $900/mo.  Bare bones minimum is likely closer to $1,500.  Even then, depending on your lifestyle requirements, it could require you to live in a more rural/remote area, which would be counterproductive to your maximizing income options.  Catch-22.  Teaching English is always an option, if you have your certification, bit more challenging otherwise.  As another poster accurately suggested, a good teaching salary likely tops out at about $800/mo., which would require you to supplement income to reach my recommended minimum of $1,500/mo., depending on your lifestyle.  Is that $700/month income a steady pension income or similar?  This also, of course, is predicated on whether you see yourself a renter or property owner, which creates an additional dynamic.  Furthermore, all these considerations are essential in establishing what type of Permanent Residency Visa you will be applying for, in order to be granted permanent status in Ecuador.  In fact, if you are looking for an Employment Visa, you must secure the employment first and have your employer initiate the Visa application process.  This takes quite a bit of thinking through the process and being properly informed. As for your smaller than Quito, less rainy than Cuenca...on the coast criteria, with your needing employment, I would really think twice before considering any locale not named Salinas or Manta.  If I can be of further assistance, I present my contact info below.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Thank you for responding, and for the valuable information. It was very kind of you. Hector, I will PM you. Cheers, Barbrey

I am the world's worst PM candidate...try email.

I have talked to several couples and singles living in Cuenca and seem to be living very well on $1000- $1200 per month. I guess it is all in what you want to do. These people eat out often, shop and do some traveling. I see people who say you can't get a decent place to live for under $700 a month, yet it seems like many are $350- $400 and nice. One couple sent me pics of their fairly new single family 3/2 they rent close by for $400 per month. Face it, the reason most people are moving there is because they can't afford where they are now, and it sounds like once they get there it turns out to be more that just the money. I can't wait to make my move, I need some adventure in my life.....

Movinon,
I whole heartedly agree, I've seen some beautiful rentals in the 400.00 A month range. I met a couple that has a beautiful home, on the river, 4/3 with green space. Total monthly, all inclusive runs them about $ 500.00 per month.
Not to be argumentative, but the majority of ex pats I've met are pretty well off. Some chose because of adventure, and others because of the political climate in the US, and the ( non ) health care system.
I realize that for some cost of living is a driving factor, but I would certainly say, from my experience so far, the are the minority.
What ever the reason, it's a wonderful choice. I wish you the very best in your adventure!
Neil

Neil,
Was basing the cost of living factor to move to Cuenca on what I have read on this blog and others, you are there so you would know better. Does seem like some people try to make it sound more expensive than it is though.Have read that you will live in a shack if not spending $700 or $800 a month and I know from talking to others that is not the case. Anyway hope you are all squared away in your new condo and life it what you had hoped for. Hope to get there and we will have a cold one.
Take care,
Randy
p.s. think you will have to "ponder" your season this year...

movinon wrote:

I have talked to several couples and singles living in Cuenca and seem to be living very well on $1000- $1200 per month. I guess it is all in what you want to do. These people eat out often, shop and do some traveling. I see people who say you can't get a decent place to live for under $700 a month, yet it seems like many are $350- $400 and nice. One couple sent me pics of their fairly new single family 3/2 they rent close by for $400 per month. Face it, the reason most people are moving there is because they can't afford where they are now, and it sounds like once they get there it turns out to be more that just the money. I can't wait to make my move, I need some adventure in my life.....

Cost of living is so subjective, is it not? $3-400 range rentals may be perfectly acceptable, and be perfect for some, and yet others it could be a big downgrade from what they want, and expect. Not like there is a right or wrong, rather a matter of opinion as to what one finds acceptable, and is looking for.

Same for eating out and traveling. Now are we talking about eating out at some of the nicest places frequently, or some of the more budget friendly places frequently? Same with travel. Are you traveling using public transportation, and staying at low budget hotels, or something a bit more expensive? Is not really like one is better than the other, but people tend to give opinions about price based on what they find an acceptable lifestyle, and for some that will be significantly higher, and others significantly lower.

Dude!!!!!!
There is no need to Ponder.... make the switch.
I know a number of people that live in a beautiful place for $ 400.00 a month. Very nice, new high rises can be had in that amount, and as I mentioned , single family homes. I know one guy that is bummed because they may raise the rent on his 2 bed/ 2 bath place, on the river, new building.... to 400.00 from 350.00. It even has a small terrace!
You would be hard pressed to pay 700/800 per month unless on a short term. And that would be a palatial place.
Some like to fear monger, or, they didn't do due diligence.
Cold ones in the fridge.... just stop by.
Good Luck,
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Dude!!!!!!
There is no need to Ponder.... make the switch.
I know a number of people that live in a beautiful place for $ 400.00 a month. Very nice, new high rises can be had in that amount, and as I mentioned , single family homes. I know one guy that is bummed because they may raise the rent on his 2 bed/ 2 bath place, on the river, new building.... to 400.00 from 350.00. It even has a small terrace!
You would be hard pressed to pay 700/800 per month unless on a short term. And that would be a palatial place.
Some like to fear monger, or, they didn't do due diligence.
Cold ones in the fridge.... just stop by.
Good Luck,
Neil

Now you are talking my language Neil. I see you're a biker. Let's sit down have a few cold ones, and talk about bikes one day. Did I ever tell you how I was supposed to inherit 2 mid 40's Indians from my grandfather before my uncle got his hands on them, and they disappeared. Still a sore subject with me to this day.

I found my best place to live, la Merced de Buenos Aires. It's a 2 hour drive from Ibarra. Probably not for most folks. It's small, pop 500, no pharmacy, doctors, big stores. I like it for the low costs, perfect climate, the food, friendly people, beautiful views, and quiet small town vibe.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C97ku4AV1Nk/UkH7RqtkarI/AAAAAAAAAC0/SwZkdUtg2Lc/s1600/1234182_10151988468165579_241075082_n.jpg

Any place on the coast from Olon to Puerto Cayo.
I would say Puerto Lopez!

ssshh jessekimmerling, dont bring Merced de Buenos Aires up under the radar or it would no longer stay a quiet, nice and small town anymore...that happened in La Libertad too, this former small beach town that feels like a small city now but still manages to stay away from the Salinas buzz :D

jessekimmerling wrote:

I found my best place to live, la Merced de Buenos Aires. It's a 2 hour drive from Ibarra. Probably not for most folks. It's small, pop 500, no pharmacy, doctors, big stores. I like it for the low costs, perfect climate, the food, friendly people, beautiful views, and quiet small town vibe.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C97ku4AV1Nk/U … 5082_n.jpg

Define perfect climate!:cool:

James-Esq wrote:

Define perfect climate!:cool:

Cool at night, bright and sunny in the morning, just when it seems like it might be getting too warm the fog rolls in every day at 1 pm.