Somewhere warmer than Cuenca

Since I know there's really no accurate online source of weather information for Ecuador, I'm hoping some actual residents can help me answer this question.

I keep reading that Cuenca is, essentially, a cool to cold place, yet with enough humidity that homes can have problems with mold.

I'm looking for an illusive combination of a warm place (70-80-ish degrees during the day) with low humidity. That leaves out all coastal areas of every Latin American country, of course.

Are there inland towns warmer than Cuenca without being hot, and with lower humidity? So far, cursory reading has indicated that  Loja, Vilcabamba, and Santa Isabel may be such places.

Or am I mistaken, and there really is NO place in Ecuador without higher humidity levels, unless one likes the cold?

Keep in mind that many coastal areas (I spent a summer in San Diego years ago and "discovered" that phenomenon) have morning and evening clouds/fog that keep the temperatures from getting as high as they might otherwise.

You might do well to look into the south coast around Salinas (weather info is available online) and La Libertad; you might find something close to your desires.  It is an area that I am now considering in my relocation to Ecuador.  I am also evaluating Quito and Cuenca and, as a long time Portland'er used to frequent rain, I would still welcome the comparatively warmer temps.

PLUS, I'd rather get my 36" of rain per year via infrequent downpours as opposed to Portland's months and months of gray skies and drizzle.

At the risk of sounding too judgmental, it seems from your post that you might have a few "opinions" that are masquarading as "facts" ...

Keep listening, as there are several very well informed expats on this forum who will soon provide meaningful input for you.  Loving Ecuado is one such expat who lives in the Salinas area, generously offers her insight in this forum and isn't in the real estate business trying to sell you anything.

Good Luck in your search!

Carlos    aka "El Gringo Bueno"

Me again ...

My spelling is pretty good, my typing ... not so much!

Look for input from Loving Ecuador, not Loving Ecuado .... :cool:

Carlos

GringoBueno wrote:

At the risk of sounding too judgmental, it seems from your post that you might have a few "opinions" that are masquarading as "facts"...

Not so. In fact, I would love it if it were true that my facts were actually only opinions.

My judgement about the coasts, for instance, is based on the dew point humidity readings of all areas on the Pacific Coast--and especially the Caribbean coasts!--of every place south of San Diego.

It's not the temperature of the coasts I object to, it's the humidity.

But I can only collect weather facts from the people who've actually been there, which I'm assuming will be better than the two websites I currently use.

The info I mentioned about Cuenca, for instance, I got from reading the posts of many people who already live there, as was the mold & humidity info. Could never have guessed that from the weather data I've seen.

Humidity is MY concern about the coast as well. 

I understand from reading posts from expats already living on the EC coast is that the northern coast is very humid while the Salinas/La Libertad/Santa Elena area is quite arid and as a peninsula, has pretty consistent breezes to help one's "personal humidity experience" ...

Carlos

PS  Salinas is on the Pacific Coast, not the Gulf of Mexico {Caribbean} which is a MUCH warmer body of water than the Pacific Ocean (generally speaking, of course).  You're likely aware of that, but it wasn't obvious from your last post.

Carlos

GringoBueno wrote:

I understand from reading posts from expats already living on the EC coast is that the northern coast is very humid while the Salinas/La Libertad/Santa Elena area is quite arid and as a peninsula, has pretty consistent breezes to help one's "personal humidity experience"

Well, that would certainly be welcome news, if true! I think my DH would love living on the coast.

Humidity can be so subjective (which is why I ignore it in favor of dew point readings on the weather websites). For instance, one would assume that all of Hawaii is humid, if one believed the weather websites. But I had actually been to Honolulu for a couple of weeks in my teens (about a million years ago), and found it to be quite comfortable.

Now, contrast that with Florida, where, at about the same age, I spent a "summer" there one Christmas and loathed every minute that I spent trying to get dried off after a shower. YUCK.

Years later I went back to Florida to help my MIL, and was nearly overcome by the steambath that slapped me in the face when I entered the jetway. At midnight. In October.

So for me, the Caribbean will never be.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

The weather websites say that the Salinas/La Libertad/Santa Elena area has a dew point above 60 every single day of every single month. Were I to rely on that info (and I have been), I would not consider living there.

But the same website says that Honolulu ALSO has a dewpoint above 60 every single day of every single month, and I already know what that feels like, and would gladly live there had I a wealthy relative on death's door.

I don't have the cash to be able to pre-visit ALL the places in the possible Latin American countries I'm considering (Mexico, Colombia, and Ecuador), so I have to rely on the residents.

So, for those of you living in the coastal areas around Salinas: do your closets become moldy? Your walls? Does it feel like Florida, or like somewhere actual humans could live comfortably? Do you need to keep replacing your electronics every other year because of the salt in the air, or have you found a way to protect them?

Glad I took the time to get "involved" in this thread since I hadn't yet thought of the salt air impacts on my electronics.

On the other hand, don't most of today's electronic devices become obsolete before they rust out?

I'll be checking back for responses on this one ...

Carlos

Cuenca's elevation is in excess of 8,000 feet so for what you want look at valleys in the 3-5,000 foot elevation range and you're good to go

Sounds like you want to live in Vilcabamba. It truly has the best climate in Ecuador. Unfortunately, it also has problems from being inundated with expats, causing a clash of two cultures, as well as an over inflated financial ecosystem. Yet, some live there and seem very happy. It would be worth a look if you are just checking out places in Ecuador.

I personally dislike Vilcabamba, but every time I go there, I can't get over how nice the weather is. I am about 40 minutes from Vilcabamba (in Loja) and we have had more than a month of unseasonably cold weather. There have been days I have had to wear gloves in the house. It is also true that we can get mold. I just found some in my wardrobe the other day.

tfpob wrote:

Cuenca's elevation is in excess of 8,000 feet so for what you want look at valleys in the 3-5,000 foot elevation range and you're good to go

Thanks for the tip. Can you point me in the general direction of areas with that elevation?

Joseph K wrote:

Sounds like you want to live in Vilcabamba. It truly has the best climate in Ecuador. Unfortunately, it also has problems from being inundated with expats, causing a clash of two cultures, as well as an over inflated financial ecosystem.

Yes, I seem to keep forgetting I'm not the only one who's looking for "perfect" weather. The more Westerners who discover such places and move there, the higher the prices go.

Thank you, Joseph.

I live in Cumbaya and love it. It's around 7,200 ft elevation and only 25 minutes to Quito. It's way warmer, safer, and sunnier than Quito.

Amy,

I go to Cumbaya from Quito almost every weekend.  I do love the weather there although we have been hitting mid 70's every day in the city also.  Cumbaya is great but people must consider Cumbaya is an affluent area and prices will reflect accordingly. 

However, Cumbaya has all the infrastructure you would expect from a wealthy suburb of a metropolis including beautiful Malls, multicultural restaurants, and shopping centers.   

Mike
themiddleoftheworld.com

Hi all,

Don't see anything here about dehumidifiers and moisture absorbers.  We are currently in the Seattle area, (humidity level here today @ 73) but in the market and currently searching for an inexpensive location to retire, hopefully around water.  Ecuador seems to be a viable alternative, but still have quite a few reservations aside from temp/humidity.  (But that's a different thread).  After some research, if we do pull the trigger in Ecuador, we are looking at the Canoa / Bahia area.  After looking at a couple websites for year round humidity levels, those areas appear to be fairly humid, but hopefully do have the breeze off the ocean providing you live in an area in one of those cities that gets the breeze.  Today for example, Canoa..  88 degrees but feels like 98... with humidity at 66 but a dew point of 75.  That humidity level is actually low compared to the typical readings I got from other sites.  I am not really up on dew points/humidity etc..  so certainly no expert here.  Do humidifiers work in those locations that have higher humidity and dew points?  We ALWAYS use an exhaust fan when showering here in the Seattle area and NEVER had any problems with mold.  We do not have air conditioning here.  Few houses do.

Thoughts?

Frank

frogwash wrote:

Today for example, Canoa..  88 degrees but feels like 98... with humidity at 66 but a dew point of 75.  That humidity level is actually low compared to the typical readings I got from other sites.  I am not really up on dew points/humidity etc..  so certainly no expert here.  Do humidifiers work in those locations that have higher humidity and dew points?

Hi Frank,

Am also from WA state (I seem to see a lot of us on these boards lately!) For comparison, I use a dewpoint of 60, which is when I start to feel humidity where I live. So a dewpoint of 75 is extremely muggy, and very uncomfortable unless you like a Caribbean climate.

And I think you meant "dehumidifiers", no?
I currently have one in my garage. They are expensive even here, but I, too, would be interested to hear from anyone in Latin America how well they work at making one's home, at least, feel comfortable.

that would be Santa Isabel really nice weather We go there on the weekends to escape from this cold . In a place call Yunguilla

dreams-of-latin-america wrote:

I, too, would be interested to hear from anyone in Latin America how well they (de-humidifiers) word at making one's home, at least, feel comfortable.

I have not seen them in Loja, but I think someone did mentioned seeing some for sale, probably in a bigger city. The problem might be the integrity of the home. Since there is typically no central heating or cooling, there is no attempt to seal homes securely. I suppuse, if you are in a multiple dwelling building with one outside wall, and opening to the enterior of the building, it may work. But if you are more exposed, typical of larger homes, or have a terrazza, it will be difficult. A tarrazza is is the top floor (often uncovered) which serves as a patio. I live in a very large home with a terrazza. This is where we wash and hang our clothes. I love the tarrazza, and often go up there at sunset to watch the sun set over the mountains. But most of the home is loosely sealed, especially the stairwell to the terrazza. So, there is a steady air exchange in the house, which is us usually not a problem in Loja, except during stretches of cold or humid weather. One could try sealing everything, but it would be custom work since materials for that task (door seals, etc.) are not commen here. As I mentioned on another thread, I do have a heater in my bedroom, but must always keep my bedroom door shut. Heating the whole house would not be practical.

Maybe the more modern buildings more geared to expats are less like this. It is something to consider when looking.

amyf wrote:

I live in Cumbaya and love it. It's around 7,200 ft elevation and only 25 minutes to Quito. It's way warmer, safer, and sunnier than Quito.

Is it reasonably easy to find a long-term rental in Cumbaya that is comfortable, furnished, has a reasonable view and allows cats?

I am looking at Ecuador to retire. I have lived in MX. In the past so I understand living in a foreign country.

I need a place that is not moldy since I have had mold illness in the US due to Home Depot installing a dishwasher incorrectly........I was out of my home 4 1/2 years.

I would also like to bring a cat and a dog with me.

Any insight that u can give me would be appreciated.

I was looking at Cuenca but since I keep reading about mold, I have to cross it off my list. Thanks for your help

dreams-of-latin-america wrote:
tfpob wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Can you point me in the general direction of areas with that elevation?

Joseph K wrote:

Sounds like you want to live in Vilcabamba. It truly has the best climate in Ecuador. Unfortunately, it also has problems from being inundated with expats, causing a clash of two cultures, as well as an over inflated financial ecosystem.

Yes, I seem to keep forgetting I'm not the only one who's looking for "perfect" weather. The more Westerners who discover such places and move there, the higher the prices go.

Thank you, Joseph.

Yup, there is no perfect weather. Having lived in coastal areas in US, which could sometimes very humid the ocean breezes affected the subjective experience of humidity. Maybe that's why Hawaii felt so comfortable. I don't think dew point data acounts for this

This is pretty simple, come down stay 6 months seek out the elevations I spoke of earlier of 3=5,000 feet or lower using Google earth which gives you elevations, roads ,cities villages and other key data on any point of interest you may find.
Joe K was right in his assessment if Villacomba but their political and ethnic divides take it off my list. Look at Loja, or on the beachside olon next to Montanita both about 86 feet over seal level.
Seek and ye shall find.
Hokey but true.

Hi, thank you for your reply.

It was a much nicer reply than hearing I didn't clean my house properly. Lol

I appreciate your thoughts.

I could see myself living in Cuenca very happily but not if there is mold. I was also thinking of checking out
Santa Isabel........any thoughts on that place?

Again, thank you for your kindness. Mary

Ibarra is lower elevation, and dry. It sounds like about as close to your ideal climate as is possible.

Santa Fe my husband and I have lived in Cuenca for 2 yrs and your definitely not going to like the weather their because it can get spells that are pretty chilly.  Now I don't know anything about mold here...but any where there is rain and old stuff you know it can start I shall not lie...
My adopted daughter is building in Porta Lopez and it is all new.
When it is new you can control a lot of thing...it is warmer there and the altitude is not so high also.  But you have a very small town and all Spanish and everyone know one another and no big stores and you go far to shop and you have to load up.  She comes to Cuenca in a truck to get supplies.  Your really you there.  She has a computer there and nice items coming but your not going to the American Beach there are issues I would not come without seeing it and understanding how far out it is.  Allergies are high here because we have breezes in the Andes and breezes at the Beach so you have to consider this.  There is a film all over everyones home in Ecuador and they would be lie
ing if they said different.  a few close all windows and use a purifier but that can be hot because you don't have air conditioners and you need the breeze.  So come for three month and leave go home and organize and decide if it is what you want and then come back.Hope I helped a little. smmr

What kind of film is there all over everyone's home in Ecuador? Dust? Pollen? Dirt? residue from car and bus fumes? Is this only in the cities? How awful. What does everyone do about it?

suefrankdahl wrote:

What kind of film is there all over everyone's home in Ecuador? Dust? Pollen? Dirt? residue from car and bus fumes? Is this only in the cities? How awful. What does everyone do about it?

That would be impossible to generalize, since the people who have contributed to this thread are from all over Ecuador.

I thought Quito was fairly smoggy since it sits in a high altitude bowl, and the buses looked to be burning raw diesel. Not so nice.

Guyaquil was a bit smoggy and very humid. Lots of construction as well.

The Manabi province on the coast is desert dry in most parts, and there is a lot of dust and sandy silt floating around.

Ecuador would seem to have many micro-climates in a fairly small country. So plenty of choices.

gardnarer1 or Expat from MX this film I wrote Expat is a dust from dirt roads or from the breeze all the pollen from the flowers I am no expert but my older adopted Ecuadorian daughter says it has been in Ecuador and something women have always delt with daily in cleaning their homes.  Each of us handle it differently espicaly if you have a person with allergies.  I makes sure all drawers in kitchen are all closed all the time and get mad when some one forgets.  All food and jars must be closed after using not felt out on shelf. I insist beds are made when they get up and pillows in bed are covered every day with a double sheet to help my husband with allergies.  House is dusted daily by me good completely floors and all even mirrors even curtains even art.  You should see the mount of dust and file after you do it once you will do it every day you will be amazed no shocked.  really I do it for health reason.  There are other reasons I do thing here for health reasons but I love the weather I love the low cost of living and I love a lot of things here but can your boby take the altitude is another question we are very high.  Some people can handle this easy but others need to go lower this location is a little cooler I like that because I like to walk and not be hot.  So you have to decide yourself.

Ecuador has a number of micro-climates. For example we live north of Quito between Pomasqui and San Antonio. Were we are is drier than Quito itself. Since we arrived in May we have experienced daytime temps in the 70's and 50's in the evening. With the high altitude and bright sunshine many days feel much warmer. We close things up late in the afternoon, which keeps the house comfortable in the evening and throughout the night.

Denise give us some info do you speak Spanish.  Do you mind if the town is very small and everyone know one another.  do you want to build or rent?  Example I have a daughter building a house and 2 rentals disconnect from her main home.  It is in a small town close to the coast of Ecuador.  It is warmer there she loves the beach.  Now the rentals will not be ready until 9 months but she thinks sooner.  They would be new.  Her area is growing fast.  Her husband is a Gringo and she is an Ecuadoriana and is learning to speak English fast and does very well.  Spanish is her main language but she is very smart and extremely pretty.  A very tiny little thing but a spit fire as I say.
Drop down in altitude and you start to get warmer but you always have a rainy season and in some places they are in swamps and forest and not for me.
Are you coming to really check things out first which I high recommend you do.  I offend say to people come for 3 months and rent a furnished place your visa allows that and learn find out if the country is even your cup of tea it might not be.  I would be happy to live in a one bedroom apt some people would not but I could not live without my dog or an oven so we all have our things we must have.  Some peole come rent a place make arrangements hold the place put there money down lock it up and come back with there things...and the gringos they meet protect or watch there place a little.  And when you return you move in.
Some gringos move into my building and use it as a stop off...they feel it is to expensive to live to live so they move on and find a better deal..great.  I have been in the same place for 2 yrs and I like it.  And until I am kicked out I will be here.  Good Luck on your Journey

jessekimmerling -- Ibarra is a possible choice for us, but it's very hard to find any info online, presumably because few gringos live there (unlike nearby Cotacachi). I'm more interested in learning about housing (rental), shopping (grocery and general),healthcare, and also education options for my primary-school age kid in Ibarra. I've been searching a few real estate websites but no results found in Ibarra. Would you (or anyone else) help direct me to any websites or discussion groups devoted to Ibarra? Thanks.

HI,

I found some websites for house rental in Ibarra, but the info is in spanish.

http://casas.trovit.com.ec/http://casas.mitula.ec/casas/arriendo-d … tos-ibarrahttp://ibarra.olx.com.ec/arriendo-casa- … -632296436

You may try and trasnlate the info, but check the date that was published (there are some old ads).

bye

Hi, I've been looking for the same climate as you.   Dew point versus Humidity isn't something most people understand, but for those who are concerned with mold, etc. . .dew point is essential.   The mystery of the dew point in Hawaii, versus the dew point in another region, . .you felt better in Hawaii.   I always check weather underground, and check the dew point and temperature graphs.  If the dew point reaches the temperature, than the air saturation point is reached, and you have condensation occurring everywhere.  I think, this is likely the major factor--comfort versus discomfort.  athough dew point greater than 65 is uncomfortable anywhere.   So I've learned that, Its not simply dew point less than 60, but dew point  in context of the temperature.  I was in Rio Negro, Colombia, and at night the dew point intersected the nighttime low temperature, and everything, including my sleeping bag was wet.   So I'm looking at areas where the dew point does not intersect with the temperature.  So a place with dew point of 75 degress, and weather of 65 degrees would be terrible.  As well as a place with dew point of 60 degrees, and the weather is 60 degress.  But a place with dew point of 60, and temperature of 75, should be comfortable.

have you found a place that met your needs?   Tacna Peru or Chiclayo Peru seems to have better dew point indicators than any coastal city in ecuador.

dankoo78 wrote:

I always check weather underground

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues, 1965

dankoo78 wrote:

have you found a place that met your needs?   Tacna Peru or Chiclayo Peru seems to have better dew point indicators than any coastal city in Ecuador.

Chiclayo, the fourth largest city in the country, is in northern Peru.  In fact, it's known as "the Pearl of the North." 

Located 9 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean, Chiclayo has a warm and very dry desert climate.  Except for summertime, strong winds called "cyclones" moderate the temperature most years, keeping Chiclayo temperatures much milder than places further inland.  Every seventh, tenth and 15th year, it gets particularly warm in Chiclayo.

Tachna, the tenth largest city in Peru, is a border town in the extreme south of the country, near Chile and Bolivia and the Pacific Ocean.  It has an arid desert climate.

source:  Wikipedia

footsoldier wrote:

jessekimmerling -- Ibarra is a possible choice for us, but it's very hard to find any info online, presumably because few gringos live there (unlike nearby Cotacachi). I'm more interested in learning about housing (rental), shopping (grocery and general),healthcare, and also education options for my primary-school age kid in Ibarra. I've been searching a few real estate websites but no results found in Ibarra. Would you (or anyone else) help direct me to any websites or discussion groups devoted to Ibarra? Thanks.

I use olx.com.ec for all my online real estate browsing. Ibarra has plenty of shopping. It's half a million people. The city is beautiful. I'm told there are some decent options for schools, but I havent researched schools myself. Avoid real estate near the bus station and the far north near the nightclubs. The area around the hills just south of the city limits tends to be the upscale suburbs. That, and the areas around the lake and the historic center.

Another city with a nice climate and low dew point... Playas. It's on the coast between Guayaquil and Salinas. It's the weekend playground for folks from Guayaquil. I only met one expat living in town, though I'm sure there's a few more hiding out. Real estate is still dirt cheap there.

Sounds like Ibarra has changed a bit since I was last there 40+ years ago. Not nearly that many people then, maybe 10,000 at the most and I doubt if it was even that.

footsoldier wrote:

Ibarra is a possible choice for us, but it's very hard to find any info online, presumably because few gringos live there (unlike nearby Cotacachi).

That's a reasonable presumption.  We never seem to hear from Expats in Ibarra on this forum.

It's close to the famous Otavalo market .. only about 40 miles from Quito .. has high temperatures in the 70's year-round .. and is known as the beautiful "Ciudad Blanca" or White City.

So why so few Expats in Ibarra?

It's not the close-by Imbabura volcano.  That's inactive:  hasn't been active in 14,000 years (Wikipedia).

cccmedia in Quito

The Yunguilla valley is spectacular.  Perfect temperatures with an altitude around one mile.  It's 55 km from Cuenca towards Machala.  I run a lodge down there if you want to check it out.

Livethelifeinecuador.com

Is it possible to live in Cumbaya on 1,200 usd/month. I understand lotsa rich people live there! Thanks!

frankg69 wrote:

Is it possible to live in Cumbaya on 1,200 usd/month. I understand lotsa rich people live there! Thanks!

It depends on so many variables, and factors you haven't mentioned. Or basically what kind of lifestyle you want. Do you plan on eating out at nice places around town, then a single meal with a few drinks can easily cost $25-$30 per person. And are you interested in excursions to the beach and mountain resorts, those will definitely add up.

Some people will quote you the lowest price for an apartment but more often than not with the cheapest ones there will be issues and some that your landlord won't even bother addressing because they'd be too expensive to repair. Some will quote the ever cheap $3 almuerzo, but you'll never hear of a Fish and Chips that costs $15, and a nice stout for $5. You want a nice gym then that's a good $75 more a month at least.

And if you have a wife/girlfriend then the costs also increase because some women love going out and love weekend getaways.

Additionally, what about trips back home or neighboring countries. So clearly everyone's budget will vary depending on their lifestyle. What's your's? But IMO, $1200 is quite low for the capital.