Best place to live in Ecuador...

I would recommend the southern coastal area, such as, Salinas, Punta Carnero, Punta Blanca, Ayangue, Olon, Curia, San Jose.  If you want more details,post here or drop me an email.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

I had heard that Salinas was very dirty and had human poop and toilet paper in the streets because they have no sewer system.  Is that still true?????  Doesn't sound very sanitary to me!  I also heard that it was very dirty.  Those are what made me cross them off my list.  I'd like to know if that is true or not because if not, I will definitely put it back up on my list of possibilities!  Thanks!

Lol...I do not know who spoke such ridiculous nonsense about Salinas, but the city is fully on water/sewer and is the premiere resort destination in Ecuador!  It is not dirty at all and is kept very safe for tourists.  I would say definitely back on your list...and...whoever shared that nonsense should be off your list.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Thanks so much for your reply, Hector.  Salinas is DEFINITELY back on my list of possible cities to retire in!!!  Muchas gracias!!!

This "compare" thread is nice.  I am a lawyer in the US, looking to find a low-cost dream retirement.

I just heard about finding low-cost of living with great weather and surroundings in Ecuador.  I am going to visit and maybe stay for a month when I can line it up soon.

It would help people new to the idea like me if you could describe the various cities you mention by specifying these:

1.  Population

2.  Shopping amenities (generally described in terms of convenience, selection and quality) - if not good, how close to where it is good.

3.  Temperature:  typical daily low and high

4.  Rainfall description

5.  Rents:  maybe describe a nice condition, very clean 2 bedroom, 2+ bath home of newer construction (to American-like standards)

6.  Geography and proximity to coast.

7.  Crime.

I would like a place as proximal to the coast as possible, minimal crime issues (relative to Ecuadorian standards), daily low of 50 Fahr with daily high of 80-85 Fahr, rent less than $350, frequent rains of short duration, reasonable shopping nearby but does not have to be extravagant, city size of maybe 100k+, or very near to such a city.

Final question (probably the one that is hardest):  How likely is it that I could come down and practice law (get a law license) there?  I want to retire, but I can't imagine I'd like to never work.

Does this exist in Ecuador?

Thanks.

Jeff,

Wow! That's a lot.  Perhaps you can get more detailed info from me by contacting me at [email protected].  For now, let me address this generally, for the benefit of the forum readers.

First, beware what you read.  I have found 99% of it to be pure "horse-hockey".  I suggested Salinas.  Population is about 52,000.  Yes, there is nearby shopping.  The temperature ranges from 65-85 year round, with limited variance.  Rainfall...well...lol...exempting the last 2 years... very minimal.  Think Las Vegas dry.  It is basically like you took a part of Arizona and set it down on the Pacific Ocean.  You won't get your rental price point desired, for anything "American-style".  You will likely pay double or near double your targeted rental price point.  At least in Salinas.  It is a smoking hot resort market.  Salinas is right on the coast.  On a peninsula no less, so you are surrounded by water.  Crime.  We have some.  Everywhere does.  Most petty crime of opportunity. Violent crime is extremely rare.  Statistically, which is all that truly matters, Salinas is one of the safest cities in all of Ecuador, on a crime per capita basis.  They protect their tourist hot spot.

Lastly, as for what you describe as "ideal"...that is just, exactly, what it is ...an "ideal".  Come here with that mentality and you will likely walk away extremely pleased.  Start to view your "ideal" as a reality and you will likely walk away disappointed.  Low crime areas can be found all along the coast, with the statistically valid exceptions of the city of Esmeraldas and the city of Manta.  If you are saying you require lows of 50 degrees, forget the coast.  That is way too cold for coastal weather.  Coastal weather bottoms out at about 65 degrees.  The highlands might be more for you, sans ocean, of course.  Your apartment rental target can be readily met, but not at "American-style" living...no matter what the nice newsletters say...and no matter how often they point to the one exception in the last 5 years and try to sell it as "the norm".   There are only 2 coastal cities, coastal proper, which exceed a 100,000 population - Manta and Esmeraldas.  Therefore, if you must be right on top of a 100,000 city, you may want to consider Crucita (near Manta) or Tonsupa and Atacames, near Esmeraldas.  However, Salinas, for example, is a 2 hour drive down a perfectly maintained 4 lane road, straight into Guayaquil, the commercial capitol of Ecuador and a city with a pop. that tops 3 million.  Hope this helps a little.  If I can be of further assistance, contact me via email.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Well if you like golf and also being close to the ocean come to Manta Ecuador, there is this new project in Montecristi where they would sell a piece of land righ at the golf course
Let me know if you are interested

Well its been a good while since my last post/inquiry thanks to Uncle Sam sending me to some exotic places with lots of sand, but I'm back. After some delays in our plans, I've only been able to do minimal research. Can I lean on the groups patience and ask a few questions? My family and I are looking for a place in Ecuador that gets in the mid 80's in the day and no colder than mid to upper 50's at night that has fertle land to grow our food (need some rain, but not Seattle type rain). We're looking for low cost, not big cities, but close enough to places for shopping, medical care and transpartation (we don't plan on getting a vehicle) and low crime. A few english speaking folks around would be nice, but we're home bodies for the most part. So the big question...reccomendations??? and low cost, not inflated gringo prices areas...thanks.

That sounds like Montecristi, well you should come and take a look by yourself, I know a square meter now is 60 to 80 dollars which however I know the Cuenca is a great place so in my opinion you should come to Ecuador and learn about the two places personally

MCS: I'm not in Ecuador, so you'll certainly get better answers from those who are. I've researched the weather there quite a bit, though, and it seems like the problem you will have in finding a place that meets your specifications is that the mountains are cooler than what you want, while the coastal areas are mostly very dry (some coastal cities get less rain than Phoenix or Vegas).

You might have the best luck in the areas a bit off the coast, but not all the way up. What I don't know is what cities are in that category -- everything substantial seems to be either right on the coast (Guayaquil, Manta, etc) or high up (Quito, Cuenca, etc).

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Bob

EDIT: You might want to look into Quevedo -- seems to have the temps you're looking for, plus a decent amount of rain, and it's Wikipedia page touts it as quite an agricultural area. As a city of 100k, what it has in the way of shopping, medical, etc, is another matter, but probably worth a look.

Thanks, we are looking into the Moncristi area; also around Bahia...but seems like the prices have gone up...same with Catamayo and between Loja and Vilcabama. Any comments on those or others?

I know Vilcabanba is a great place however it could get too quiet, in Bahia there are some projects that you may also be interested, the only issue I have about Bahia and those other places you metioned is that hospitals and malls are far away, and that's why people preffer Manta,and Cuenca

mcs_guy,

There is no shortage of places in Ecuador that meet your needs.  I think while another party posted on the issue, I have not heard directly from you, as to your preference for proximity to a major city, or required amenities (shopping, hospitals, fire/police, etc.).  Can you elaborate, as that might be the critical factor?

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Sure, we love to garden and grow our own fruit and veggies. We live in central Texas now and don't care for cold weather. We are country folk and don't like big cities, but would like to be close enough (short bus or taxis ride) to a clinic, shopping markets and the like. We love the water (lakes, ponds, rivers/streams and the ocean) but not in the form of a lot of rain (like Seattle/Vancouver). So with that said...critical factors: highs mid 80's, lows mid 50's, furtile land to grow food, some rain but not too much, about an hour or less to a city that has a clinic/hospital, restaurants, shopping markets and a few english speaking folk around would be a bonus.
Thanks, Matt

Montecristi, suits you, but like I said come and take a look by yourself, let me know if you need some help to get around if you came of course.

mcs-guy,

If you can sacrifice the low temp range and settle for lows of 65º, there is plenty of product for you in the stretch that runs from Ayangue to La Entrada, at the far northern coastal end of Santa Elena Province.  I think that is likely your best fit.  We will have to see how that fits into your target budget, but I think it will likely work.  Otherwise, you might want to consider the coastal region encompassed by the range between 30 minutes to 60 minutes north of Manta, in Manabi Province.  Those are my best suggestions.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Hello:

I haven't seen a 2013 update to this blog.  I would like to talk to other Americans who have retired to Equador.

We have lots of questions, and need good, honest feedback.  Which city is best to fly into from Dallas/Ft Worth?  We will have less than a week to check things out in OCT 2013.

Thanks, and look forward to hearing from anyone, and maybe even some fellow Texans.

Go Dallas Cowboys!

Hello
Your best call would be to come and experience yourself, that'd be the best way to find what you are looking for without regrets

What questions do you have?

Gentisle

bluebonnet,

How about them Cowboys?!!! Always good to have a "Big D" fan joining us in Ecuador.  Your options for flying into Ecuador are limited to Quito and Guayaquil.  What is "best" is defined by many factors, such as price point for the options and convenience to your first "stop off" point.  Only you can possibly determine that.  What other questions do you have?  Here, on this forum, or via my email below, as you prefer.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Tom,

My wife and I are from Haskell, Oklahoma and have been doing some research regarding retirement in Ecuador.  I am an OSU grad (72)and fly the Oranage flag on our ranch!  What did you end of deciding to do.  Any info would be appreaciated.  John

Hi there!  My wife and I  want to research possible locations to retire in Ecuador and depending on who you talk to they are all different.  We want to visit Cuenca and Baha de Caraquez for sure.  Can you tell me where we should fly into and how do we get from there to Baha de Caraquez?  Anything and I really mean anything else you want to add would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, John

Hello

In my opinion the best way to go to Bahia would be from Guayaquil, have someone take you from there to bahia, I know comapnies that you can hire without takiing the risk of going with a cab driver you don't know if you need more info, let me know
Cheers

jpwinters,

As opposed to how already already advised, best way to get to Bahia is from Quito.  Best way to get to Cuenca can be a connecting flight in either Quito or Guayaquil.  You might want to consider Salinas, more on the southern coast.  Also, if you are willing to consider Bahia, the Sua, Atacames to Tonsupa stretch, even further north might be an option.  Salinas is best accessed via Guayaquil, while the Sua-Tonsupa corridor is best accessde via connector through Quito, while landing in the airport in Esmeraldas.  Hope that offers some initial clues.  Ask any other questions either here on the forum, or via email at [email protected]

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

hello...iŽm now in Guayaquil, with my wife and kids, prospecting the possibilitie of staying here to live...we are looking for any kind of guidance you can provide...we arrived today and donŽt have much of na inside knowledge, so as you can understand any help is good...:)

eduardomasc,

Need a little more than that for guidance.  What type of info are you looking for, specifically?

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

on the safest and best zone, near the sea, good for a therapist and a yoga teacher to fit in...not that we are picky but we have 2 small kids, and need a good área for them...the moving around is a bit complicated for now with them...

I know someone in Guayaquil who can help you out personaly
Let me know if you want to contact her

Hector,

This is Karla Winters from Tulsa, Oklahoma.  My husband John has been corresponding on the blog regarding the best regions to live in Ecuador.  We are actually looking for a fairly small village or city that is resonable close to hospital, good health care, shopping malls, food markets, and not extremely far from the airport.  Most importantly a safe place.  It is funny to say safe when there are murders in Tulsa almost every day, but most are drug related and centered in a certain spot that is far north of where we live.  Right now we live on a ranch with cattle and horses, I am a gardener and love fresh vegtables and fruits.  We would definately want to be close to expats as we have taken spanish, but did not use it so it has been lost except for very little.  I am very outgoing and love people, would be wanting to make sure it would be ok for me to go for walks alone or to the markets etc by myself and not worry.  I have heard so many different opinions, we would like to be able to live comfortable on $2,000 or less a month so that I would be able to travel to the states every few months.  We had planned to move to San Miguel, Mexico, but the cost of living has gone up quite a bit there and so has the crime, so Ecuador seemed a better chose.  San Miguel was a little mountain community with several expats.  Very clean, everyone was very friendly, it was like a small European village that had never changed, but the incentives were not near what I have been told exist in Ecuador.  Cost of housing, food, healthcare and quality, as well as airfare.  At first I thought Cuenca was the place for us, but now I am hearing that the Northern areas are lovely.  Could you give me a little insight if you don't mind.  I will  quite rambling now and wait to hear from you.  Thank you for all your help.

Hello

You shold google Santa Marianita-Manta Ecuador, you can rent a house for $800 or $100 dollars beach front in a safe area

eduardomasc,

I would recommend Salinas or Manta if you are targeting the coast.  Likely in that order.  Manta is a larger city, but also more crime.  Both have reasonably good education systems. No other real options, imo, for your specific situation.  At least, not on the coast.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

jpwinters,

Well, first, let me address what I think I hear, but I want to be sure, so I can best respond in a future message.  You are looking to live in the sierra region, not the coast...is that correct?  No coastal consideration?

Next, let me discuss what I know for certain you stated and the challenges that go with it.  You stated that you wanted:
"...fairly small village or city that is resonable close to hospital..."  Please be careful here.  Someone's idea of "reasonably close" might differ from another, and someone's idea of "quality healthcare might differ from another.  Also, are you bilingual?  If not, have you considered that the closest medical facility may not always have bilingual staff, especially in the more remote regions?  Point is...quality medical care, by my barometer, is really limited to about 6 central areas of Ecuador.  Stray too far from those areas, into more distant "small villages" and the quality of healthcare drops dramatically.  Also, in some regions, travel times can vary between "wet seasons" and "dry seasons", so it gets more tricky to generalize.  If medical care is important, please be very careful as to where you select to live.  I wouldn't stray too far from Quito, Guayaquil, Cuenca, Loja, Salinas or Manta.  Not listed in any specific order.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Santa Marianita is 15min away from Manta, safe and fun I would live there if I could

When you factor in that most people posting are wanting a "nice" town, these are Americans who are thinking "nice" means "looks quaint and elegant, like a nice American historic town."

I have not been to Ecuador, but have really scoured all over the net looking for information and videos of various towns in Ecuador.  By American standards, there aren't many towns that fit the bill.   Quito does.  Cuenca does.  Guayaquil might, but it would be too hot for most (me anyway).  Cotacachi might.  There are a few towns which are really suburbs of Quito, like Cumbaya that seem to work.  But once you get outside of these, it's third-world all the way.

Salinas has a great coastal resort.  But look at the town itself.  From what I saw, most Americans will probably stay and shelter in the beach resort strip like living in a beautiful compound.  Outside the strip, it's rough and raw.

Some people are quite accustomed to rough and raw, and to them, the ghetto has a type of beauty that simply attracts them for its essence of "real, humble life."  It does have that.  But if you did not grow up that way, you will be a fish out of water.  It won't take long to figure it out.  Go stay in Salinas for 2-3 weeks, and see if you don't start feeling land-locked.  I am not targeting Salinas; this seems to be the same for all the other "small towns" and coastal resorts.

Quito looks so cosmopolitan.  There, you can find it all - from ditch diggers to genetic researchers.  After all, I would think if you're going to live in Ecuador, you should plan on making friends.  Who do you see yourself hanging around with?  Are you going to be best buds and share hobbies with the guy who sells tomatoes from a ply-wood fruit stand on the corner?  Will he have any interest in the things which interest you?  If this is you, then, the small towns will be just fine.  I am not trying to come off as haughty or anything.  Really, all I am saying is people need to really look at the conditions under which they have been raised and under which they live in order to determine what they can become accustomed to. 

I hear many Americans get a little rude sometimes over there because on occasion, it's not "American enough."

Actually, as someone that lives in Salinas, the concept of "rough and raw" most definitely must be "relative".  Like any city/town, it has "rough areas", but for the most part, Salinas is an attractive, well paved, beautifully maintained town.  Now, if one's only definition of "modern" is seeing towering skyscrapers, well...yes...then you are limited to the vaunted Salinas Malecón (boardwalk).  However, if you like quaint single-family home neighborhoods, with the occasional 3-4 story condo building,  a large part of Salinas could well fit your bill.

As for Guayaquil, it is hard to imagine a more cosmopolitan city in all of Ecuador, so I certainly think it well qualifies, likely better than any other city, when one wants a "big city" lifestyle, complete with all the amenities, as well as the drawbacks (crime, traffic, etc.).

Hector, would you be kind enough to show a few photos or videos of the nicer areas within the city of Salinas that are not on the resort strip?

Most videos only show the resorts.  I saw one guy who bothered to video a drive through the city streets, and it did not look good.  Maybe he was just showing the bad in the city and not the good.

Really, folks, take what I say with a grain of salt.  I thought I might be being helpful, but as I disclaimed, I have not been there.

Hector, you might be able to show me something to revitalize my interest in that area.  I wrote it off.

Long post. Sorry. Not even sure where to begin.  Let's consider Hawaii.  Some beautiful country in the interior.  So, how many photos do we all generally see of Hawaii, which don't include the beautiful beaches? The occasional volcano shot, right?  Las Vegas.  Some beautiful desert country in the Vegas area.  So, how many photos do we generally see posted about Vegas, which don't include some aspect of "The Strip"?  Few...right?  Salinas is no different.  The majority of online videos and photos in some way incorporate the Malecón. Why shouldn't they?  The Malecón is gorgeous.  I don't argue that the Malecon isn't amongst the most beautiful parts of Salinas, just that it isn't the only beautiful part of Salinas, surrounded by Hell-hole.  So, given that we sit on a beautiful peninsula, surrounded by ocean, hard to avoid Malecón and/or ocean shots.

Set that aside for a minute.  Yes, I do have video and photos which show the "the other [great] side of Salinas", besides just the Malecón strip.  However, most of it is specifically linked to my area of commercial enterprise.  I don't long to turn this forum, unlike too many others, into a crass commercial forum.  Note, I don't even use my business email on this forum.  So, I don't want to post a bunch of photos which will be viewed as "crass commercialism".  Frankly, don't even know if the forum administrators here allow that, since I am not that familiar with forum policies.

So, as a compromise, I plucked a handful of Salinas, Ecuador photos of a "non-Malecón" nature.  They can be viewed at:

https://www.box.com/files/0/f/918869238/Salinas_Photos

If this doesn't suffice, give me like 3-4 weeks (as my biz schedule allows) and I will tailor some photos just to this discussion and post them.  Bottom line...much beauty in Salinas and not limited to the Malecón.

As a final note, I am familiar with the "video in question", showing Salinas in less than a flattering light. Anyone aware it was "objectively shot" by someone looking to promote Cuenca, Ecuador, with business interests directly tied to Cuenca?  So...folks...my stuff...anyone's stuff...huge grain of salt. Come on down and explore for yourself. Only real way.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

the link is not open to public and wants log-in.

Let me correct that. Odd...was created as public!

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Try this link, as I just created a "collaborative site", but for "everyone".  If this doesn't work...let me know.  Here it is:

https://www.box.com/s/9b6lhz6ex2wp3xrj4a68

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]