I'm considering moving to AD w/husband and 2 kids...schools?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and actually am in the process of applying for a teaching job in August (I have an interview next week).  But to help me in making this rather huge and scary decision, I'd love to get some input from those who have "been there, done that" especially about the issues surrounding taking a family along... 

My son is 14 and my daughter is 9.  Thankfully, neither of them has any serious "special needs" though they both do need proper motivation from time to time.  They both attend an excellent local public school here in Portland, one that focuses on world history and cultures, and it has been a great experience for both of them, so I would say finding a good school for them over there is going to be a big piece of the puzzle.  Does anyone have any specific suggestions for me in this regard? 

I must say, they both responded to the idea of moving out of country for this job very positively... they both think it would be fun!  Of course, they don't have anything to base that opinion upon, but I'd love to get some early information on schools so I can tell them more about what it would be like if we do go... my son will be matriculating to the high school next year anyway, so for him it is just a different kind of change.  My daughter will just need to feel she has some friends and she'll be fine.  She's very active and athletic, so a school with a good sports program would be best for her.  My son has more interest in technology and art, especially computer gaming, so programs along those lines will be of interest to him.  Both smart kids, with a strong creative side... Can anyone give me some leads on where to start in terms of looking for schools, costs, etc?

Sharon

Check pearl school, canadian school, and brighton

Hi, I see you posted this sometime last year and wondered if you've moved there and how it is. My husband is in the interview process for a teaching position in Abu Dhabi and it's a big and scary decision so I'm trying to gather enough information so we can make an educated decision if he gets an offer.

We are in our late thirties with 2 young boys ages 7 and 3.5. I think they're the perfect age for living abroad for three years.

I'd be really interested in your feedback if you have any to share. Thanks very much!

Hi nmdavis717,

Please note that this thread is a bit old.. 2012 :)

You should feel free and start a new topic on the  Abu Dhabi Forum ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team