First trip to Brazil1

hi Everyone, I am Traveling to Brazil at the end of January, 2012 to visit My Brazilian Girlfriend who Lives near Goiania. I would really appreciate any advice as regards vaccination's, general do's and dont's, etc. Many Thanks!

Hi,

If you already haven't done so read my post "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil". It has most of the information you will need to know.

With regard to vaccinations you will need to take a Yellow Fever shot at least 10 days prior to your planned departure. About two days before departure you should start taking Doxycycline daily to prevent Malaria, it also can prevent some additional infections (e.g., Rickettsiae and leptospirosis) and so it may be preferred by people planning to do lots of hiking, camping, and wading and swimming in fresh water. Your physician will know the correct daily dose. To my understanding the medication must be continued for 4 weeks after your return home.

Many Thanks WJ, for your insightful and Informative help.:-)

Hi, and this will be one of the few times I disagree with my friend, Mr. Woodward.   Brazil requires no vaccinations to enter the country unless you are coming from a country with yellow fever, like Bolivia.  Malaria is not a problem in Goais, and CDC and WHI people I know tell people too, but when here take noting.  When I asked them about this, they asked if I had heard of lawyers.   If there has ever been a case of malaria in a state, even if someone didn't get it there, the place will have a malaria warning forever.  I have been guiding nature tours and have been in the field almost 8 months of each year, all over Brazil, without having any vaccinations except yellow fever (for my other travels), with no problems whatsoever, nor have I found anyone with problems!   Paranoia has millions taking unneeded drugs!

Douglas is correct, I misspoke - using the word NEED. Brazil does not REQUIRE Yellow Fever vaccinations. I should have used recommend. There is a good link below with an extensive list of the recommendations for travel in Brazil. The subject of vaccinations develops a great deal of controversy, which I am not about to argue. I believe that the main issue is public health and to that end am in favor of vaccination.

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinati … brazil.php

You don't have to have any vaccinations but the 1st time i went to Brazil i didn't get my hep A or B injections and got food poison. Now i don't know if it was because of this or not but i have been back 5 times since this and never got sick!

But have a great time with your girl :) I came here in 2006 to see my girl for the 1st time and now we are engaged and i'm moving there in March :D