Best ways of finding work?

hi everyone,

I'm planning to move to France this year and I need to find work in the Nantes / Loire Atlantic area, I wonder if anyone has any tips on ways to find work before moving to the country?

To give some background I am a IT trainer and am thinking of doing a TESL type course and trying to find work this way, my other idea is to work freelance I have heard of auto entrepreneur but is this status open to non-French nationals living in France?

thanks

Teilo

Hi and welcome to the forum Teilo!

This article should definitely help ;)

Good luck
Armand

Being an autoentrepreneur is certainly possible for you - you can use this to start teaching English. A TEFL qualification helps with this, and the ability to teach "business English" is helpful too. But unless you are very lucky you are unlikely to earn enough to live on. Various language schools such as Wall Street Institute are always looking for teachers - a sure sign of poor pay. The agencies don't really worry - there is a steady stream of Brits, Americans, Australians willing to give it a bash.

Also, it is very helpful if you speak French - explaining English grammar to someone whose English is basic is very time-consuming.

If you are really desperate to work and will do anything then the best chance of a job in the short term is working nights in a cold store making up orders. All the employment agencies down here are always advertising for staff. Pay is 9€19 per hour gross. Not my idea of a job.

But for these things it is really necessary to be here.