Cost of living update (2011)

Hi

I know this subject has been discussed on the blog before, but could someone give me an updated (2011) idea of the cost of living for 2 people. We enjoy an active social life, the company will be paying for the house and car.

Tx
B

Wel you'll save a bunch on your social life .:D

hahaha.... well said mudman

If your employer will be paying for your housing and transportation, all you need to pay is for your food and other personal needs. It is not very expensive here in KSA, for 2 people you will only spend 1,500 Riyals max for your food. And maybe 200 riyals for other personal needs. If the two of you you will eat out you will only spend SAR 300 maximum if you will eat in a nice restaurant or in a hotel buffet.

The expenses here are mainly food based. and depending on the food culture taht you are familiar with, it can be something around 1500-2000. Your active socila life will be toned down a by a huge bit, or a huge bit to be honest.
other expenses, personal requirements, all depends on how you decide. shopping every weekend will make dents in the pocket.

Cheers!

Thanks guys

hey u will save a lot in saudi, guarenteed

Dear all,

I am planning to move with my family to Al Khobar. My company provides a car but no driver.

Which are my options in Khobar to offer my wife and children a reliable transportation?
   - Hiring a driver? Is it possible? How much?
   - Taking taxis? $20-30 a ride, can get expensive very easily ($700-1000 per month)?
   - Compound trasnportation? How flexible are they? I've been in China before and this compound transportation were not reliable at all, bad timing, etc...

How do families in Khobar arrange their daily transportation?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,

vqg

Well our bus leaves the compound at 9am everyday except fridays when there is no bus and collects you from the store at 11.30 without fail. The bus runs vary for each but are all regular and on time.

A driver can cost you upto 2000sar anyway so I find its not much of a difference and in fact can cost you more if you are not using him on a regular basis. If you get in good with a driver/company you will often find you can get discounts on regular routes etc anyway. Assuming Khobar is much the same as Riyadh.

I spend only 1000 RS for month for food and smoking . it easy to life here for example one meal of Macdonald  cost 4$ only

hi
i plan to live in Al Khobar with my family (3 kids and my wife) i'm currently negociating my contract and I would like to know the level of price for a 5 bedrooms villa ideally in a compound. also is it possible to have a private swimming pool with the villa?
thanks a lot for your help and see you all in Al Khobar.