Living standard in Nairobi

Dear Friends!
I am getting a job offer in Nairobi.Please provide me the following informations for a family of four.......

ESTIMATE

1.Cost of Grocery per month in USD
2.Cost of Expat schools mainly for British School average Monthly fees from nursery to senior standards in USD.
3.Cost of Petrol/lit. in USD.
4.Cost of a new Car (2 lit.eng.capacity).
5.Cost of Average Electricity/Water Charges for a A.C.2 bedroom appartment.

As per the informations posted in the forum I came to know the followings....

1.Theft/Robbery/snatching/rape are very common.
2.Police dept. are corrupted and have lest control.Security and security alarm at home is recommended??????????
3.At Night moving in the streets/shopping with family is not recommended at all.
4.Frequent Power Cuts ?
5.Water Supply once a week ?
6.Uncontrolled Traffic and unrepaired pot holes in the roads.
etc........ etc..........

If all these are common then how the expats are surviving????
Friends,Please provide me your honest answers!
cheers!

Hi soham100,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have moved your topic on the Nairobi forum for better visibility.

You may have a look at other threads on the Cost of Living in Nairobi forum.

I wish you good luck.
Christine

HI my friend, as i no, there is no much problem with security, it depends where you stay. If you stay in such a place where someone can get into your house then no body can help you. Even if you stay in US or UK in such a place its common. It depends where you stay. cost of living for me is high, coz i am from india and kneya is little expensive than my country. For food items per month may be 200$ for 4, this is just an estimation. It may be less than that. Schools i dont know, Petrol is 125 shillings(may be 1.4$) per liter. here they have wide range of models and types so price of Car i dont know. why do you want A.C 2 bedroom flat? you will die in A.C hahaha.. here no need ot use even fan, the climate is so awesome. I have no where seen any A.C selling in any mall or any shopping stores. 

Robbery, theft and rape are not common, here there are many many foreigners who are much safe and happy. It may happen in rural, but not common in nairobi. even it depends where you stay. Yes police department is corrupted, whole government is corrupted. But people are scared to do mistakes or bad things. At night moving in street depends where you are moving.. i usually go ot in nights every time. so no problem, we go to clubs, discos and many places in night. There are many secure places, no need ot worry much. Frequent power cut, sometimes, but not every time. In nairobi there are many people from different countries.

You think once, why the tourist ratio is so high here and many foreigners here???? coz what all you know is not true... some truth is there but it only happens sometimes some where you might not even know.

rest is up to you to decide....

Hi soham100,  With regard to security issues, it isn't as bad as you have stated (perhaps except for the traffic), but it certainly is far less safe than the UK, for example.  Having said that, neither my wife or I have experienced any problems in Kenya.

Robbery is more common than in the west and you certainly have to pay much more attention to your security, for example, you are likely to live in a walled compound and possibly with some type of security guard. 

When out and about, you do have to think carefully about WALKING and take advice from others about where to and not to.  Walking around at night is a big no.

On the road, doors and windows should be kept locked at all times.  At night, be vigilant and look out for anyone following you.

I could go on.  To summarise, be sensible, be aware of your surroundings and dont flash expensive mobiles, jewelry, etc in public.

Regarding power and water:  power cuts can be frequent, particularly when dry weather affects generation capacity, but you could look for accommodation that has a back-up generator.  Some areas of Nairobi have a water supply problem, due to the infrastructure not being designed for the number of residences that there now in the city.  Water can be rationed in periods of drought.