COST OF LIVING IN Nairobi

Hi all,

I need some advice as I am being offered a position as country Director job in Nairobi for a year, they will not pay relocation, so  I need to give my yearly salary expectation asap,  we are a family of three, my son being 3 years old. I understand that the income tax is 30%, and have to include everything like the international health insurance for three, also have to include my cost of relocation in my yearly salary in USD (yearly flight average 4000 Usd per person) .

Could you guide me as to what bracket I should suggest.

Thank you so much

Fer

Check this out..I hope the link works..

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … mp;rent=28

Hi.

I read your post. I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I'm in the US, looking to Kenya, the Nairobi or Mombasa area, because of my girlfriend. I don't have a job lined up as you in the area. In terms of of flights you can find much cheaper flights. Try Skyscanner. Thought I'd help. Thanks.

Regards.

Medical insurance for our family (two adults and a child) was in the region of Ksh 260,000 per annum ($2500 approx) for a comprehensive cover.  I found that taking insurance cover locally was cheaper than an expat policy.

Property rental in a good area may start at around Ksh 50,000 per month.  More choice at the level of around Ksh 80,000 plus ($777 approx).

I've just briefly checked Sky Scanner - return trip price for all of you coming up at around $6600!

not the correct figures

<<not the correct figures>>

Why don't you enlighten us Barry........with what you feel are the correct figures?

I write from my personal experience, as an expat and from searching online.

Look my friend, here my details.

First of all the real estate here its too too to complicated for some one picky like me so its depend on you, but to get something nice and comfortable and safe for your family starting from
Kilimani one bedroom unfurnished cost you 55K and 2 bedroom 65K  this mean 550 USD to 650 USD.

Electricity from 20 $ to 35 $
Water 5 $
service 50 $ ( including security)
Internet 50$
taxi between 3.5$ to 5$ depending on distance right now UBER is the cheapest.

For a year i guess you must go to furnished but its more expensive can cost you 1500 $ to 3000$ depending on where you live ?

My advice at the end if you want the cheapest way is like this in my complex the 2 bedroom cost you 81,200 K including " internet, water, service, DST 10 channels, gym, swimming pool, rooftop" and you can buy your home appliance from 2000 to 3000$

and if you need any help I am happy to support good luck.

Kenya is so so so beautiful very nice place to live :)

Thank you for that tip. I did not know of the website SkyScanner.

Concerning real estate, you definitely need to be in Kenya and devote a day or three to looking at properties. Don't entrust anyone else to do this for you, as you are the one who must live there.

Furnished accommodation is significantly more, but you must balance this with the cost of furnishing and the hassle of disposing of the furniture at the end of your contract.

As for the post above, getting an apartment is probably the best option.  If you can get bills included, so much the better. 

By the way; the taxi fares quoted above are far too little:  350 to 500 shillings?  Most start  from around Ksh 1000.

Hi,

I am planning to move to Nairobi in April 2018 and looking for a 1/2 bhk apartment (preferably furnished).

Can you please suggest some good and safe locality for expats. My budget is 80,000 KSH.

Thanks
Saurabh

Having been in this country long enough... Cost of living is commensurate to where you live... For instance,  when I first moved here,  I got a project at the gigiri offices,, since It was just me,  I found a nice unfurnished one bedroom apartment for $270,,,including all amenities (dstv, internet, gym and garbage)  costs came to around $500...so,  like I said,  it depends on the area

Hi Saurabh
Are you moving from India if yes. Which city. I am moving from Bangalore let's connect. I will be there in June

Hi Maverick,
Have you already moved to Nairobi?
I am planning to move in next 02 months (from India)....
Where in Nairobi are you putting up?
If its ok to you, I want to ask a few questions...
Thanks.