Riyadh Compounds?

Hi There!

I'm moving to Riyadh on the 27th of November 2011 and I need to get a compound, my work is trying to get me in but said its very difficult, they suggested FAL as it has places available, however I've heard it's not the greatest place for a single woman. I will be put in serviced apartments first off, will I be safe there?

Any advice on which compounds to try and get into? I'm a single woman, in my early 50's and will be working near the airport.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks

sorry, thought i'd add, my budget would be around 150'000SAR per year, and I would be happy with an apartment 1-2 bed or a small villa...

youtube.com/watch?v=kgnBmDvnmis

inriyadh.com/arabic/compounds.asp

saudicompound.com/index.php?do=view.news

hello sizzle i give you the sites  and call him ask is better because the prices change with erea
best regard

Thank you so much Fleurdelys7 :)

A good idea is to check for a book called 'Riyadh Today 2011'. I guess the important bookshops / libraries have it there. It is similar to the explorer guide and it mentiones almost all the necessary info for a new mover; including compounds, shopping, things to do, social life and of course some few important laws

Hello Sizzles,

Are you going to work with PNU?
my advice for you to ask your company to book for you at Madareem Crown Hotel
madareemcrown.com

there also compound beside the Hotel, you can check it,

Hi Alone_in_Riyadh

I had a look at that compound on the net and it got some really bad feedback, there was even a post about someone being robbed living there, maybe that information is old, but do you know what the security is like there now?

Thanks

Sizzles, compounds are the safest places in general. They have tight security measures, and no strangers are allowed inside unless via invitations. Of course, wherever you go, the general rule always apply and that is 'You need to keep your valuable things safe'.

Hi Sizzles
Please read a lot more about Saudi arabia,two weeks ago we beheadded 8 bangladesh and 2 saudi's in Riyadh in the execusion square were we all go to market. This is the Shariah law here for robbery and murder.

If you are going to be working by the airport the best compounds to be looking at are probably Arizona, Cordoba, Al Hamra or Kingdom City which are all at the top end (both in facilities and price).
Places like Eid, Granada and Nadj are on the right side of town too.
All are notoriously difficult to get into. Getting in will depend on some contacts you develop once you arrive. Most of the accommodation is held on long leases by companies for their employees so it can be rare that stuff comes up.
Do not give up though, it is better to wait to find the right spot rather than take something poor.
It took me three months to get the spot I wanted but it was worth the wait.

Guys; compounds has a long waiting list... I have been in almost three now for the last four months... I hate that... why is that I do not know...

if any one can help i would love that...

Hi Sizzles:|

I'm moving soon too and will also be a female stashed in apartments since my employer doesn't use compounds. I haven't signed the contract because that worries me.

I hope you find one.

yesterday i went to a very nice compound call Al wadi, i think there r some vacant apartments.

@ Nadimento thank you for the suggestions

@ Zeki Khalil, thanks for the reassurance about safety in compounds, hopefully I can find one

@Sparrow, that sounds quite scary, I had read about things like that but I guess thats the law of the land and something Ill have to take on board

@josullivan thanks for the detailed list of possible compounds! thats really helpful and I'll look into it and see if I can rustle up some connections too :)

@SamUSA I think I'll be waiting on those lists too soon :(

@Itchyfeet24 My company will happily put me in a compound but I don't think they have it all set up like some companies there already, apparently the place I'll be staying in the interim has a female pool and gym area which may make it more livable. Have you decided to sign your contract?

@Hallaq thank you for the suggestion I will look into it :)

I'm still having them look at it.