Organize your move to Ethiopia

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Ethiopia.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Ethiopia:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Ethiopia?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Ethiopia?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Ethiopia?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

1)    What would you bring and what would you leave behind?
You will bring books and some cloths especially underwear as these are in short supply when it comes to quality. Credit cards and International debit cards are a plus as you won't have it in Ethiopia and you will be among the privileged few to buy online.
2)    Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?
Furniture and domestic appliance are available, though pricy.  And it is advisable to check on the voltage of electrical appliances. Ethiopia uses 220 V.
3)    Any foodstuffs that are banned in Ethiopia?
Not to my experience. I say, generally, food stuff are not banned.
4)    Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Ethiopia?
If you will have a duty free privilege, highly recommended to bring cars. Ethiopia taxes cars on about 150% of the cost. Make sure of your duty free status and the presumed cost of your car at the customs office in advance because your car may be deserted at the customs site for the exorbitant taxation, as is a common case. It is not uncommon to pay $ 40,000 in taxes for a $ 10,000 car as the car may be evaluated more than its actual cost.
5)    Any advice for the ones who are moving to Ethiopia?
Laptops in excess of one per person are taxed at about Birr 1,000 each ($ 60). Bookstores are not widely available. Good quality grocery items are not available at supermarkets while the available items are generally expensive. You will be using a satellite channel for your TV. CDMA and evdo gadgets may help you for your internet needs. It is better if your cell phones are unlocked as there is a sole telecom service provider. Better to search for rental of houses in advance through your connections as the real estate brokerage is largely informal, unorganized.

Sincerely,
Suave

Hello suave!

Thanks very much for your help ;)

Armand

Hi there! thanks Suave. this sounds like good information. since i plan to stay only for a year or so i would not like to buy any furniture or appliances - is it possible to rent a fully furnished service apartment - perhaps 2 rooms. if so, for how much?

yes you can rent that and the price will range from $500-700 depends on the area. if you rent condominium

Thanks for the info - what would you suggest - my place of work will be the ministry of education, adwa st. I'd like to stay at a walking distance from there. could you send some links of economical and safe places nearby, please.

Hello shvetauppal,

Chances are you might get a government condo of 2 bedrooms, furnished for Birr 6,000 and a private apartment unit could be around Birr 10,000. I am not aware of private apartments in that area. you might also want to share a house in a private compound for someting like Birr 8,000 to 10,000.
(1 USD is about 17.5 Birr)

hello dear friend, ministry of education is in arat kilo so you can rent condominium there or around 6kilo or near kazanchis.
when will you come?

:), If all goes well around end of nov. or begining dec. have you heard of mr martin's cozy place?

Greeting Greeting,

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

I would bring clothe, GOOD WALKING SHOES, books, Ipod/Iphone, Laptop, good music, Advil, eye drops (air is pretty polluted in Addis), sun screen, bath & body products (such as good facial soaps, shampoo, conditioner, etc) and OPEN MIND!  Most products are imported in Ethiopia so it is quit expensive!!!

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Just get a furnished guest house or apartment! It is not worth for you to buy or bring furnitures/domestic appliance because you are only staying for a short period of time!!! RENT a furnished apartment/guesthouse/house!

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Ethiopia?
None, bring lots of gum, candy and chocolate if you like sweets!!!  Good wine is also a good idea :D

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Ethiopia?

Like above bringing a car is pointless so just buy one here, and it will be very easy for you to sell it when you are ready to go!

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Ethiopia?

Be open minded, patient and adventurous --- otherwise you might not enjoy the move as much as you should!

Cheers,

FantaLove!

thanks fantalove- that sounds like good advice. specially the shoes. what do people wear to work - formal or casuals (say black jeans and a printed cotton top)- shoes? are offices and apartments heated - water heaters? and such things

It depends on your work place and your position at work.  For example, I dress business casual most of the time, esp. since I meet with potential clients, suppliers, etc.  So black jeans and printed cotton tops will be good on regular days but you might need to put on a nice dress or dress pants and dress shoes depending on the occasion.

Pack comfortable, functional and dressy clothing!  It is very hard to find clothe you will like in Addis because there are limited style and size and some of the price are ridiculous for cheap ass materials! So bring as much clothe as you can ....

Hi guys. I've just arrived in addis and hunting for a house. I saw a few but my hunt is still on. Let me know if someone have any option available.  Thx.

If you join the 'What's Happening Addis' group on Facebook, houses are often advertised there.