Close

What do I need to get married to Ethiopian girl in Ethiopia?

HI everyone!
I am a citizen of Germany even though I have not resided there in 30 years.
I need to know the real deal on marriage to an Ethiopian citizen:
What do I need paperwork wise:
A passport, but what else?

Hi am Addisalem .I am leaving in Ethiopia.
If you need further discussion please write via my email address xxx

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You may exchange them through the private messaging system.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi everyone,

@ Addisalem, it would be very much appreciated if you could provide some info on the forum itself so as other members may also benefit from your inputs.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thank you. And yes, while I do need the information soon, I also want to make sure that whoever has the answers will benefit future readers on this forum with it.

Hi Firetown, So you want to get married to an Ethiopian lady ? You only need your passport.
What else do you need ? Patience of a Saint ! Plenty of money !! Talk to local men, they will advise you !!! My advise, is civil partnership, or else you will be trekking down a long and dark road to oblivion my friend 😂😎

Be very careful that you are not making the biggest mistake of your life.  I got married in Addis Ababa in Jun11, mainly due to the fact that my Ethiopian girl claimed I was the father of her child when we met in Yemen.  After the birth, she put my name on the birth certificate while I was deployed to the USA and we were NOT married at the time.  I then got them both to the UK.  After arrival in the UK, she claimed domestic abuse and got a conviction against me despite it all being a complete lie.  The race card was played and she got her Right to Remain. Next she stopped me seeing the child and told me I was not the father and would never see the child again.  I then forced a DNA test which returned NEGATIVE.  It also appears that she used a false name and passport to travel to Yemen.  Also the documents she used at the marriage were also altered.  I am now in the process of divorcing or annulling in the UK, got a mountain of debt and a conviction against me for nothing.

If you decide you wish to go through with the marriage, you need the following:

1. Your passport.
2. Your birth certificate.
3. A sworn certificate from your Embassy that you are free to marry.
4. If you have been married before, the Decree Absolute.

Those are the only things you need.

There must also be 3 witnesses present who should be known to both parties but that is rarely fulfilled.  It can be anyone.

Been there and done it.

That is a very sad story and unbeleivably wicked on her part. I feel so sorry for you at this dreadful deception. What a nightmare.
I am curious how you got her to the UK ? The process ia long and complex usually.
Also, you met her in Yemen. What was she doing in Yemen ?
Hope things improve for you.

Dear,
What the girl did is really sad and cruel. But let's stay positieve. I do belive that there are rotten Apple amidist of the crowd. Please keep your faith and do not Carry THE grudgr to your future relationships. Put a fullstop there and go forward with your life as life is short.
Good luck

Expatriate health insurance in Ethiopia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ethiopia

Moving to Ethiopia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ethiopia

Travel insurance in Ethiopia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ethiopia

Flights to Ethiopia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ethiopia