Availability of medicines

I take medication for diabetes and blood pressure. I read that most medicines can be obtained "over the counter" without a prescription. Is this the case? Are there any concerns about"counterfeit" drugs?

Preferably go to one of the State-Hospitals and they will be helpful to you... including medicines.

Hi Boxzilla.....I...too...am diabetic and would like to know about te availability of insulin,syringes, and some blood pressure meds. I spent the last year in the Philippines and you had to have a doctors prescription for everything. Even getting asprin was a hassle. Please let me know what their policies on these are....thank you.....Chuck

For most medicines that require a prescription in the US, you would need the same in Thailand.  For sure that includes blood pressure medicine, because I take that myself.  Going to the doctor to get a check up and prescription in the US is an expensive hassle, and that is where Thailand is different.  Go to any private hospital in the Thailand --- there are many good ones in Bangkok --- and just drop in and go to the front desk.  You will surprised (at least I was) how they are extremely pleasant and can see you right away.  Almost all doctors speak English and were trained somewhere in the West.  I visit a doctor in Thailand regularly, and also visit a doctor in the US at least once a year, and frankly the quality of medical care in Thailand is Better than what I get in the USA.  Plus the costs are very little.  In Thailand, I pay 100% (too bad of a history to get medical insurance), but my cost (in connection with my blood pressure) for a typical doctor's examination, the regular blood tests and other tests, plus a good supply of my medicine runs about a hundred dollars. In the US, that is about the same as my co-pay with insurance for all of that.  The Thai medical places seem to have a higher level of technology in equipment than what I see back home, plus for sure you are treated much better.  So don't be nervous to get all your medical needs in Thailand.blog site An American Expat in Chiang Mai
Here's an article posted:  How do Diabetics eat in Thailand? And how difficult is it for a Diabetic to travel around in Thailand?