Arriving 10 October: A few questions

Hi!

I will be arriving in Riyadh on 10 October, final destination as yet unknown, probably Tabuk, but I have no problem where I end up.  I need advice on some practical issues:

Voltage:  My home country uses 220v.  Do I need an adapter for my notebook and mobile (iPhone)?
Dress:  I know the dress code for the office but do I need to wear long sleeved shirts in public as well?
Home life:  I will be staying in a western compound.  Anything I should focus on to bring, to make things more homely?
Money:  I have both VISA and MC so I guess I will be able to readily draw money.  Any comments in this regard?
Items to bring:  What daily use items in western countries are unlikely to be found in KSA?  I do not plan to do anything stupid but will definitely bring my Bible along for personal use.  iTunes on the notebook contains a variety of music.  Am I likely to find my notebook and mobile searched?

Best regards

Andries O

WELCOME to saudi arabia Andries O

About voltage you don't need to worry as almost all places there are both 110V and 220V.

I think no problem, you can wear any kind of shirt you want.

Westren compunds have plenty of facilties, its depends upon you how you want to live there.

I don't know about all parts of Saudia, but main cities have everything.. and there are big malls, Markets, branded Companies, Western food etc

Thats what i can help you.

bye

wsmhagazi

Many thanks!  I think that settles many of the questions I may have had.  Have worked outside of my country for a few years before but KSA is a radical move.  Looking forward to it though!

Andries

i dont know why people automatically affiliate saudi to radicalism. specially if youre living in a compound, its not going to be any different from any other european or american city! believe me, you are going to be fine!

220 volts...pssshhaaa.....you can even find 360 and even 480 volts if you want here!! just make sure they are 60Hz. i know certain european manufacturers may only manufacture 50Hz devices.

andrieso wrote:

Voltage:  My home country uses 220v.  Do I need an adapter for my notebook and mobile (iPhone)?

iPhone charger is usually dual; It works with both voltages.
Most of laptop chargers are also designed so.

Btw, 110v will be eliminataed soon in KSA

andrieso wrote:

Dress:  I know the dress code for the office but do I need to wear long sleeved shirts in public as well?

Not at all. You can wear even shots covering knees anywhere in public.

andrieso wrote:

Money:  I have both VISA and MC so I guess I will be able to readily draw money.  Any comments in this regard?

Your banks may charge heavy 'financial charges'. Please check their policy about international withdrawal.

andrieso wrote:

iTunes on the notebook contains a variety of music.  Am I likely to find my notebook and mobile searched?

Most likely not
iTunes account will work as it works in your own country.

TheLegendLeads

Many thanks for the comprehensive answers!  Much appreciated.

Andries

Andries! Hoegaanit?

If you end up in Riyadh, let me know, I have been here for five months now. I know a few South Africans over here, maybe it will help to make life this side a little bit easier!

Best of luck!

Vinnie

Verseker!  For sure!  There has been a delay with the visa so I may only arrive on 12 October.

Ciao

Andries

Hi Andries

Welcome to the blog and soon to Riyadh.
Dont forget to vacume pack your biltong - u can bring ti but it must be vacume packed and clearly labelled 'beef'
Am sure you have read the 'no pork' products, alcohol etc.
Once you get your Iqama and open a back account here you internet transfer your money to home - SARS will be waiting on the other side, however, not much - label your money 'maintenance' - if you label it 'salary' they take more tax.

Normal clothing, T shirts, slops, but shorts below knees for men - other wise ok.

When you come, register with South african embassy - for your own security just to let them know you are here, but also to go on mailing list for activities.

Hope this helps a little.

Hey guys, could you please highlight with further details the difference between life in the compound and outside? Thanks a lot.

elfuego wrote:

Hey guys, could you please highlight with further details the difference between life in the compound and outside? Thanks a lot.

Freedom in one not in the other!

OK, so I arrived in KSA later than planned.  It had to do with the availability of seats due to the Haj, with flights from Johannesburg to Jeddah mostly fully booked.  Anyway, things were made easier in Johannesburg as I was collected from the back of the queue and allowed to check in in another queue, bypassing all the Haj travellers.

Flight from Johannesburg to Jeddah was uneventful and first impressions on arrival in Jeddah were very positive.  Connect flight to Riyadh was on a 747 with no more than fourty passengers and in the time I was waiting for my flight, at least six flights left for Riyadh, all with no more than fifty passengers.

I am supposed to go for a medical today and then off to the workplace, which at the moment I have no idea where it will be, so I could end up staying in Riyadh or else destiny unknown.

Thanks for all the online assistance so far.  I am sure I will have more questions in future!

Welcome now to Riyadh.

Glad your entry went smoothly - hope you settle in well. Find your nearby shops, Carrefour or Hyperpander are the big shopping markets. Tamimi supermarket will sell a lot of your home/UK/USA goodies.

Find a good taxi guy who speaks english, and take his mobile number - your life will be much better. Always go with a metered taxi if you dont know the prices between distances as they can rip you off if they know you are new in town. After a while you can bargain your price in an unmetered taxi.

Take care and travel safe.

Sparrow wrote:

Welcome now to Riyadh.

Glad your entry went smoothly - hope you settle in well. Find your nearby shops, Carrefour or Hyperpander are the big shopping markets. Tamimi supermarket will sell a lot of your home/UK/USA goodies.

Find a good taxi guy who speaks english, and take his mobile number - your life will be much better. Always go with a metered taxi if you dont know the prices between distances as they can rip you off if they know you are new in town. After a while you can bargain your price in an unmetered taxi.

Hi there,

you know how you said take a taxi number, I was wondering can women do this as well?

Hi Sizzles

Yip, woman can do it to. But never get into a taxi with a saudi arab driver.

sizzles wrote:
Sparrow wrote:

Welcome now to Riyadh.

Hi there,

you know how you said take a taxi number, I was wondering can women do this as well?

It is probably best to get a taxi recommended to you. Talk to your compound or hotel. Most will have private drivers that look after the residents. They tend to be a bit more expensive but what price on peace of mind?
Being a bloke I have little idea of what it is like for the girlies here but I would be very careful about a lot of the taxis about town.