Hello Mauritius!

I have moved to Mauritius for two months.  I will be looking at the possibility of moving here.
My first concern is finding an apartment.  I find most of the rates very inflated, for the fairness of my skin perhaps.  I am not sure how to find a cheaper long term rental, a one bedroom or studio apartment.  I am also not sure what rates I should expect to pay.  Also, what areas are best to live in, where to get a car, what to pay...  Could you please give me some advice?

Thank you.

Welcome!

I have moved the discussion to the Mauritius forum

Have you read the other threads?

Cheers,

Julien

You should have a look to http://www.lexpressproperty.com/index.php?lang=en for accommodations.

You can also temporarily stay at Residence Peramal (in G Baie) I heard they're not expensive.

Where to live? It depends where you going to work.

Not that easy to find a good car rental these days :/

Julien

Today I found a place in Grand Baie for 300 rupee per day.  It has two bedrooms and a kitchen, is a ten minute walk to the Super U, and is close to the beach.  It is very modest, and I like it!  Maybe I could have found a fancier place, but.

Next I will try to find a car.  I walked into a place from the street and the guy quoted me 1900 rupee for the month.  I think this is very expensive.  He explained that maybe the cheaper rentals have the black licence plate, which means without insurance.  He said that the yellow licence plates are insured, and that is more expensive.  It still sounds very expensive.  I told him I would talk to my friend and find out what he pays, then get back to him on what I think it should cost.

So, any input?

also, I had heard the same thing about Residence Peramal.  I went there and the manager was very nice, and I think the places are very nice, but he wants 900 rupees per day.  Too bad for me, so I found a cheaper place.  Over two months it makes a difference, but for temporary I think the Residence Peramal would be a good choice.

also, I am interested in an english - creole dictionary... has anyone ever seen one around?

Island Pearl wrote:

Today I found a place in Grand Baie for 300 rupee per day.  It has two bedrooms and a kitchen, is a ten minute walk to the Super U, and is close to the beach.  It is very modest, and I like it!  Maybe I could have found a fancier place, but.

Good! I would be interested in getting in contact with the landlord, we never now, it could help one day...

Next I will try to find a car.  I walked into a place from the street and the guy quoted me 1900 rupee for the month.  I think this is very expensive.  He explained that maybe the cheaper rentals have the black licence plate, which means without insurance.  He said that the yellow licence plates are insured, and that is more expensive.  It still sounds very expensive.  I told him I would talk to my friend and find out what he pays, then get back to him on what I think it should cost.

I think you mean 19 000 rs? Yes it is very expensive. All the expats I know have a black plate, and we are insured. I currently pay 12 000 rs for a very small car (Kelisa), I am pretty sure I could find a better deal. But it's not easy these days...

yes, I did mean 19000 rupees.

hi island pearl .. got a small dictionary if u still interested..let me know ciao 0)

Arlette
thks for your reply
a very good site created by your team,keep it up
concerning accomodation here,its better for members to bargain and rent for minimum 3 months for a much better price..
rds

shailen

Hi Pearl,

With regards to Where to rent an Apartment once u move her, as Julien said it wud depend on where you work! Guess most of the expats are based around Quatre Bones, Rose-hill, Flic and Flac and Tamarin.. Wen do ya plan to come n settle down here?