Banks in tripoli?

ARe banks open and functioning?
thanks
fk

Banks are open and functioning but there is a severe restriction on cash withdrawals. I think it's LD 750/month, if I am not mistaken, that can be withdrawn from the account in cash.

It is causing a bit of a problem with payments and causing liquidity issues with companies. Payment by cheque is fine but a lot of people are refusing to accept cheques as they themselves will face the same cash withdrawal problem.

USD/LYD exchange rate in the black market is around 1.5LD/USD. I don't think that Western Union is functioning at this time. There are no foreign exchange remittances ongoing at present.

Guys i don't believe that u had been in Libya during the war,i've just came to check if there's someone here!!!

I'm in contact with all of my friends in tripoli and all what Siddiqui said is 100% right.

Hope things would go better soon and i'll be back.

What about safety there for expats?

Western Union is working for some time now. Though the transfer rate was 1.4 almost 2 weeks back when a friend of mine used it. The USD inter-bank rate is 1.25. They are only  keeping huge margins.

any word on when ATMs may be operative??

Any news about when western union will be operative?

MCITP wrote:

Any news about when western union will be operative?

i believe someone posted here that WU is supposedly working.

I called Aman bank on Gargaresh, which was previously reported working, and the lady there told me Western union was closed and she didn't know when it would be back up.

That's what I heart too and they told me that possibly on January!