Gay couple considering move...

Hello everybody!  I was wondering if you guys could give some advice concerning a possible move to VN/TPHCM.

Me:  male, mid-20's, 3/4ths Vietnamese, 1/4 white, born in the US, moderately fluent in Vietnamese and OK at reading it, has decent French and Japanese language skills, has federal job in bio research lab

Boyfriend:  male, late-20's, Caucasian-American, very fluent in German and moderately fluent  in French, but learning Vietnamese

A.   What would the job situation be like for someone like me to jump into VN?  Would you very strongly recommend getting a work offer beforehand?  I would like to branch out of hard science and am open to almost anything.  Fortunately, we're saving quite a cushion and have some good connections in business through my mothers' friends in TPHCM, hence we're strongly considering just moving in and testing the waters while we're there...

B.  Is it very difficult to convert a tourist visa to a work visa?  Is exit and reentry mandatory for that?

C.  Any good opportunities for those with French and German language skills?

D.  As for our relationship, I figured that we would have to keep it under wraps in the workplace, particularly in something like pedagogy.  My mother says that otherwise amongst close friends and at home its fine, and that the Vietnamese don't care that much, particularly in such a large metropolis, as long as we have some basic common sense.  Anyone with experience with this in VN/TPHCM?

E.  Are TPHCM and Hanoi the only two truly viable options considering jobs and social tolerance/non-nosiness?

F.  Will the Viet-Kieu/ Mixed (I look noticeably mixed)  part really hurt me?  My name is Vietnamese, and have heard of job discrimination for Viet-Kieu.

Sorry for dumping so much, and thanks a million for listening!

Hi guys,
Just wanna drop in to say "hello". We are a gay couple too living in Oklahoma, USA. We're thinking about moving/living in VN too someday. Wish you luck in finding a job in VN and have fun living there :)

Finding a job in Vietnam is not very hard if you have a university degree in any field.  You are more likely to find work teaching than anything else, so you may want to consider language certification.

French and German are probably not going to help you get a job if you are US citizen.  There are only a small number of jobs for those languages and I would imagine they generally go to expats that are native speakers.

Being Viet Kieu will hurt you more than it will help you.  Even if you weren't mixed, they would know.  Yes, there is discrimination and it is not just against Viet Kieu.  Vietnamese companies (and foreign here) discriminate based on race, gender, height, weight, you name it.  However, it is still possible to find work and your language skills will be useful and appreciated.

Sexual orientation in Saigon is not really a big deal.  This is a fairly progressive city.  Honestly, outside of small towns it is not really that big of deal.  This means that the locals will more or less not care about your personal life, but it doesn't mean they won't judge you or act goofy when interacting with you and your partner.

All in all life here is quite easy, but it isn't the US by any means and don't expect it to be.  The important thing to remember is that it is a different culture (even if it is your familial past) and people will think in a way that is hard to understand.

welcome to vietnam, I will a tourguide for you, if you want, just want to learn english and make friend, no costs and friendly. I will show you something for gay, give you some sencere advice,
contact with me by yaho sr_iamg and send message note something you don't know.

A.   What would the job situation be like for someone like me to jump into VN?  Would you very strongly recommend getting a work offer beforehand?

-YES

B.  Is it very difficult to convert a tourist visa to a work visa?  Is exit and reentry mandatory for that?

-There is no such thing like a work visa. In order to work legally, you need a work permit and residence permit and/or sufficient in Vietnam invested funds.
Each of those again have different requirements, like degree, the job can not be filled with Vietnamese, Health certificate, police clearance of your home country and .......
Consider 12 Weeks a short time for processing this paper works

C.  Any good opportunities for those with French and German language skills?

-Skill is commonly quite a lot around. The points are, you can work when required with very little legal support on times and locations. Legal rights do exist, but do not rely on them. They tend to fail for foreigners and Vietnamese.

D.  As for our relationship, I figured that we would have to keep it under wraps in the workplace, particularly in something like pedagogy.  My mother says that otherwise amongst close friends and at home its fine, and that the Vietnamese don't care that much, particularly in such a large metropolis, as long as we have some basic common sense.  Anyone with experience with this in VN/TPHCM?

-It depends a lot, on where and what you work and what you want to show in public. As for living; In the city is most likely ignored/not seen. In a small Village, it might catch some attention.

E.  Are TPHCM and Hanoi the only two truly viable options considering jobs and social tolerance/non-nosiness?

-No. Any bigger city. It is the same, as in the western world some 20/30years ago

F.  Will the Viet-Kieu/ Mixed (I look noticeably mixed)  part really hurt me?  My name is Vietnamese, and have heard of job discrimination for Viet-Kieu.

-As Viet-Kieu you have in theory the same rights like Vietnamese (after sufficient paper works).
Discrimination (a kind off) you might only experience during price dealings (where they are not fixed)- there is almost for all sorts of things a not visible foreigners allowance.