Mauritius in the news

I guess I have to be careful what I say, especially at the moment. I'm interested in current affairs and the politics of Mauritius. Is there anywhere that I can find out more (in English) from sources that have a genuinely independent view? It seems very difficult to find?

Strawb,

That's a tough one. Most of the breaking news comes from L'Express or Le Mauricien, and both are published in French/Creole. The site newsnow.mu used to offer English-language news, but it seems to have been taken offline for some reason (check their site for the cryptic notice).

Frankly, your best bet is to find someone you trust to translate the local papers for you (e.g. my wife, whether I want to hear it or not). Or learn French.

Note: As the size of the English-speaking ex-pat community expands, the demand for a reliable English-language news source will increase. Here's hoping someone with the time and means will "do the necessary" since we really need to know what's going on behind the scenes, especially in political circles. Scary stuff! :(

RCK

You do have stuff written in English in L'Express.

It's hard to find something that is not biased here!:whistle:

Try theindependent.mu it is an English newspaper. If you register free, you get it thru e-mail.

Cheers!!!
Terence

Thanks! The independent seems quite good. :)

Hello. The independent does provide some interesting views indeed. As an independent financial advisor I provide my clients with a daily update of main economic and corporate news in English. [Moderated: No free ad on the forum]