Any advice for a mainland USA college grad considering moving to PR?

I'm going to be graduating from Fordham University in New York City soon and I have recently been contemplating moving to San Juan. I was born and raised in CT/NYC but I'm of Puerto Rican descent(4th generation) but have visited he island several times. I would like to know if the market down there is any better for college grads from the mainland? Also, what could someone expect to make in San Juan working in the marketing,communications,media,advertising sphere? I'd love to move down for 2-5 years and get some experience in a smaller market and I have always loved the idea of living in Puerto Rico, any advice from salary expectations, companies, cost of living info or how companies might view or treat college grad americanos would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Neosonicrooney wrote:

I would like to know if the market down there is any better for college grads from the mainland? Also, what could someone expect to make in San Juan working in the marketing,communications,media,advertising sphere?

First off, keep in mind I'm no Puerto Rican, I'm from the Netherlands, so it could be that locals would have different answers.
Expect less than in the mainland. Less jobs, less money in comparible positions.

Neosonicrooney wrote:

any advice from salary expectations, companies, cost of living info or how companies might view or treat college grad americanos would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Cost of living: comparable to the mainland. The city is more expensive than el campo.

How you will be treated depends mainly on your self. If you behave nice and friendly, that's what you get in return. Do you speak Spanish? If not, start learning yesterday! Don't behave as a know-it all. That's the main problem locals have with 'Gringos' and you might be considered a gringo...

You are half way there.....don't worry. First, you have your degree. Second, you speak english. Third, you must learn spanish and you are all set. Check out MY USA JOBS / USA JOBS.gov, and surf this Federal employment website that gives you details about job openings in the Island. It's probably the only way you will be able to enjoy the lifestyle, while at the same time getting paid what you know your worth. BEST OF LUCK :)