Australian wanting to live and work in France

Hi there folks

I am Australian and my wife is french. We were married in France 8yrs in her hometown. We have since moved to Australia and lived here for 5 yrs. She has her permanent residence and holds and Australian passport. It's now time to move back to France to be closer to her mother.

After a short call to the embassy my wife explained that we can apply from here and it should all be pretty straightforward. That is, still quite a lot of paper work and all that but as long as we complete everything it should be fine.

So I am under the impression that all I need to do is achieve my level B1 french delf or equivalent, fill out the visa application and have an in person meeting in Sydney, or Perth at specific dates.

But what is unclear to me is what does the visa actually allow me to do in France. Are there certain restrictions or requirements that I must then meet once there. Is there a certain amount of money and tax I must earn and could I work in other parts of EU. Casual work full time and other considerations like that.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated to put my mind at ease. Thanks everyone 😁

The européen borders âge open in Europe. I à Dutchman don't need à workpermit to work in France by exemple, just an adresse tempérament and a fiscal number

Hi Chefjpk,

As your wife is French, you will be granted a "private family visa". This will enable you to work in France, but not in Europe. You can visit other European countries for 90 days, but if you wish to work or live in another European country permanently you must request a visa or residence permit there. If you are a freelance there is not minimum amount to earn, if you are an employee your company must pay you at least the minimum wage, but the salary is not a condition for this specific visa.  Stable ressources are required if after an amout of time you wish to apply for citizenship or permanent residency.You will be tax resident after staying 6 months in France in principle.

You can work for any employer in France. However, if your job consists on working remotely for an Australian company, although you will not need a work permit specifically, your company must pay social security for you so this is an important information to know.

The application is indeed straightforward but beware to have everything legalised/apostileld and translated by sworn translators. Depending on your activity in France, it would be useful to have some documents with you as well.

(I hope this helps, I am an attorney in France. Do not hesitate to contact me in private if you wish to have a consultation or more information)

Yuliana