Public transportation in Malta

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Malta ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Malta?

Thanks in advance for participating!

- Not very well

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?
- Ha. No. Taxis and buses

Do you use them?
-Unfortunately

How much is a fare?
-There are previous posts about this, but day ticket is 1.50 and week ticket is 6.50 for residents. Taxis are much more expensive obviously

-I do feel quite safe in the buses, they are much bigger than cars. Although they are Chinese made and are already starting to shake and rattle which is kinda scary.

- Buses, unfortunately! Too dangerous to bike anywhere, and I don't want to drive either, a lot of people here don't know the road rules.

That was kinda fun

Nice post Myrkur,

it kind of sums it all up.

The main advantage is definitly their size compared to cars and relativ safety. Most buses seem to have had contact with other vehicles since 3 rd July judging by all the scratches ,dents and missing parts. But that is the same with most cars in Malta too !

The prices are reasonable but there is still the issue of different prices for residents( Maltese and others who show a Maltese ID card) and non-residents (ie tourists or residents who don't show their ID card fast enough).

I do think they will get their act together sometime in the future and then we might see a good bus service. But until then expect delays,waiting time and buses not arriving or running.

Cheers
Ricky

PS You can walk too -)))) Come join me with the Ramblers.

ferries

thanks guys :)

Heyy,

I was acctually considering to buy a bike for the transport. Is it really dangerous that much as Myrkur said??

Armand wrote:

Hi all,

I think that apart from trains, there are the same modes of transport available as anywhere else.

The bus network is pretty well established, with additional routes added since the change to Arriva. 

In comparison, in the UK there is a huge public transport network but it is very expensive and just a reliable as here, long waits, 3 turn up at once etc etc.  In Spain, the bus service is awful in my experience.  Buses hourly, sometimes no service at weekends.... again, more expensive than here.

The taxis are a rarely used expensive form of getting around.  Purely because of their pricing.

Do you use them?

Although I do still drive, if possible I use the buses, because they are still the cheapest means of getting anywhere, (as long as you are shrewd when purchasing your fare), and you don't have to worry about parking.  It is also cheaper than going through your insurance after somebody who is not looking where they are going drives into your car. 

How much is a fare?

This is still a subject under much debate but I think the fares are actually reasonable.  If you purchase a day ticket at 1.50, you can hop on and off buses all day knowing you have covered your fares.  In the UK, one bus journey is £2.20  (single), if you then have to change buses in order to reach your destination, you will pay another £2.20 minimum.  To do an 8 mile journey, return, cost me £8.80 minimum.  In comparison, Arriva fares are not as bad as originally thought.

I always feel safe in the buses...  at least, nobody is going to get in your way if they are smart.

Car and bus.

Thanks in advance for participating!

Anytime.x

As an aside, is jogging also an accepted form of transport in Malta, I have never seen so many walkers and runners in my life....

:P

Wait a min! Are you being saracastic? Hmm...nobody jogs to work though :P

Although my bf and I do walk to Sliema or Paceville sometimes from home - about an hour (or less) walk depending how fast we walk hehe. And I walk to Qormi when I have training there - also about 40 mins...definitely faster than having to catch 2 buses! :/

I did go out jogging once in Bugibba at about 5.30 am (never again though, too damn early!) and there were a LOT of people jogging by the seaside and I mean a LOT, it was very surprising. It was during summer though but being so early was not hot at all but quite breezy and nice. Still, too early for my taste.

Borka..

It probably isn't if you bike all the way to your corner grocery shop. :P

But I stand by my opinion, I wouldn't use a bicycle as a means of transport in Malta...but see what other people say, maybe I am too paranoid!

Or maybe you just have a healthy sense of self preservation...grin