Public transportation in Bogota

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Bogota ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Bogota?

Thanks in advance for participating!

I use the Transmilenio in Bogota. It has a good route that covers a wide range of the city but there are some areas which the Transmilenio does not cover, which does make it difficult to get to some areas. Taxi is the best form of transport in this situation. I tend to get the Transmilenio to the stop which is closest to my destination and then a taxi.

I feel it is a safe means of transport as there are generally auxiliary police on patrol at most stations everyday.

The cost of a single trip is $1,700 COP which is reasonable as once you're within the transmilenio station you can travel all day on many different routes if you wish. (as long as you don't leave the station and just keep travelling!) You have a card which you can top up with an amount of money, or an amount of journeys, ie 10 journeys.

Taxi's are cheap. (This is in my opinion and comparing it to the UK!)

There are smaller buses which operate in the city, although I have been advised to avoid them, as a female when I'm out alone, as they are not the safest way to travel and we have heard of thefts on these buses. These however do cover the areas that the Transmilenio does not and can take you to towns outside of Bogota such as Chia.

The Transmilenio is not the most comfortable way of travelling at times, it is similar to the tube in London and the subway in New York. At rush hours you have to fight your way on and travel with your face against the window/door! But at other times it is just perfect!

I hope this helps you! :)

Hi NicoleW678,

Thank you for this information. :)

Its good to mentioned that there are also bicycle routes for many of the areas in Bogota, not all of them, but you can move in the principal areas with no problem and specially in rush hours when transmilenio is packed it could be an interesting solution.

:)

Thanks for your help DFRA80 ;)

Armand