Moving to Bogota

I am in the process of relocating to Bogota, Colombia.  I am looking for information regarding best ways and rules and regs regarding shipping cars, registering in Colombia and insurance.  Do I need a cedular card in order to register a vehicle there?  How about cargo such as household stuff?  I am thinking container shipped via water.  Any better or alternative suggestions?  I will need to obtain a cedular ID card.  Any way this can be fast tracked?  Best way to apply?  Also, banking.  I was hoping to find a corressponding bank in Bogota that is linked to US but find that there is a 6 month wait, after obtaining a cedular.  Any ideas how to get dollars into pesos? aside from an ATM?  I am looking for any suggestions.  Thanks.

Hi howardrherman,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Bogota forum for more visibility.

All the best,
Christine

Welcome Howard,
We moved from the UK 9 months ago.  Brought our belongings in a shipping container.  I really recommend getting some contacts in DIAN who you know by recommendation.  This should speed through the importation.  I was told that I could not bring any used vehicles into Colombia- from the USA may be different or perhaps a way around.  Regarding banking, get ready for a huge slowdown in your expectations- literaly.  We've been 100% cash transactions since arriving which means always getting out maximum ATM withdrawls.  Utilities and services all paid in cash over the counter.  The 6 month thing about getting an account I have also heard from a USer who moved here recently.

Hi...
Well is quite difficult to solve all this questions but here we go.
Is not possible to bring cars from the USA, besides, if you can it would be more expensive that bought one here in Colombia. The prices car are really high compared to the USA but you can get a really good one if you sell the one that you have and bring some extra money, if you want an all brand new car the only thing you can do is to come here and make your own bussines because there are a LOT of negociation alternatives, it also depends on the make and kind of car. If not, i recomend you to look for an used car is cheaper and if you have good spanish skills you could make  a good deal. Try to search on this pages,  tucarro.com.co/ - carroya.com/ -carros.com.co/ .... On this ones you can make an idea about used car prices.
About papers and cards, i dont really know, i mean , i have my lisence driver and you can get ir really easy, but you are a foreing one, soo maybe is different but i think you can use your USA licence, i give you this page, make you can find value info. simbogota.com.co/ ...
If you want a USA linked bank the CityBank is a good option. and if you want to change some dlrs for pesos is better to be attentive to the forex market and do the change when the market be high so you can get more pesos with less dolars. DonŽt change more than 5.000 dlrs otherwise they are going to charge you 4x1000 which is a nacional tax.
glad to help you.
Good look