Is the Clock Ticking?

Boa Tarde,

I recently had a very successful appointment with the  Federal Police for my Permanent Residency Visa by Spouse. My wife, lawyers and translator left with what I consider a Win and I subsequently paid the large Over Due fine. At the appointment the Federal Police said I had 60 days to travel to the USA and arrange for my updated documents and apostilles.

The only hitch was having my Brazilian-American daughter stand in for my Brazilian wife at the Brazilian Consulate for the registration of our marriage.

I am still waiting for news on that arrangement.

When does the 60 days start.? Is it when we had the Federal Police meeting, when I paid the Overdue fine, or when their is agreement for the Brazilian Consulate?

I have nervously made mock travel arrangements and packed and unpacked several times, but I am hoping I am not losing Days. Anyone Know?

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

02/01/24 @roddiesho.  You should confirm with your lawyer,  but the clock is almost certainly ticking,  and Day #1 of your 60 days was probably the day after you walked out of the PF office.  You're asking for the Foreign Ministry to waive a hard-and-fast rule:  you can't count on that happening, or on that process resulting in an extension from the Justice Ministry.

Congrats man. your making healthy progression, When I had to pay my past due - Consulate in canada told me that I need to pay fine. Once fine is paid your gucchi, and due to the already time ive spent outside that it was no problem to start my registration for my RNE which you need to do as soon as you land. that gets processed in no time depending on where you live! Mine was quoted 60 days, we saw it in about 2 weeks

@Mikeflanagan So was yours's the same as abthree suggested. The clock started ticking once you left the office?

@abthree Thanx, I am going to talk to the boss. The only challenge for the 60 days is the FBI Background apostille. That is quoted at 4-6 weeks. The rest is done in about a week, including the Birth Certificate apostille.

yeah, mine was pretty much as soon as the fine was paid. ( to be honest I dont think they cared because I paid the full amount ( with multa / juros ) got wife to make me a stamped certified copy and showed them was all processed on the spot really ( canadian consulate )

@abthree To the best of your knowledge, if I have paid the fine and I have the 60 day paperwork to go to the USA and come back, but the Brazilian Consulate portion does not work out, where do I stand. I have complete control over going to Social Security, updated Birth Certificate, updated FBI Background Check, Apostilled and more.  I am all set and completely ready to go take care of my documents, storage etc. in the USA., but the Brazilian Consulate seems uncertain.

The lawyers want my father and mother's names again. etc., which is normal, as well as information on my daughter. The elephant in the room, which I seem to be the only one concerned about is that my wife WAS married before in the USA. In fact I was present during some of her divorce proceedings. According to the appointment papers that is kinda important and if nothing else is an In Person subject that I don't think my daughter should handle.

I don't want to sound selfish, but I really just want to get my gear in storage and do what I do. If I have to go thru all kinds of process's while I am here, so be it, but right now I am, how does my wife put it "the needy old guy" in the attic while she is the toast of the town with her Sorvete Shop.

I feel like Superman with his cape on layaway.1f614.svg

02/02/24 @abthree To the best of your knowledge, if I have paid the fine and I have the 60 day paperwork to go to the USA and come back, but the Brazilian Consulate portion does not work out, where do I stand. I have complete control over going to Social Security, updated Birth Certificate, updated FBI Background Check, Apostilled and more.  I am all set and completely ready to go take care of my documents, storage etc. in the USA., but the Brazilian Consulate seems uncertain.

-@roddiesho

Great about your docs and apostilles -- get them ASAP when you get to the US, with extras if you can, keep them safe and take care of the Sworn Translations when you get back. 

You need to work out a game plan with your lawyers about how to handle the Consulate, and they need to have a plan on how to proceed with getting you a CRNM if the Consulate declines to register your marriage.  I go into that, and the divorce issue you raise, in the DM that I'm sending as soon as I submit this post.  Hang in there.

@abthree We are having a horrendous time with the Internet and Electricity, so I guess my reply did not make it through, so I will make this one real short.

It looks like the game plan, I have been told is a FAMILY REUNION and will really not involve my wife, but our daughter who is a Brazilian Citizen with a Brazilian Passport and AAA Documents.

The lawyers are going to send me the necessary papers for me to leave and come back to Brazil. It appears that I may leave the Monday or Tuesday after the Super Bowl.

P.S. So I did see this in one of your other posts and am not sure how this will go

.... Declaration, under penalty of law, that the sponsoring family member (“Chamante”) resides in Brazil;

She just had an Open House for a very luxurious apartment in Maryland.

Yeah, family reunion is the route I went as well due to my daughter to avoid a slog of headaches ( Canadian consulate suggested this route ). Great plan

02/03/24 @roddiesho.  So you're going for a VITEM XI based on your relationship with your daughter.  It could work - fingers crossed.  In that case the documentation of your wife's divorce shouldn't be required,  the new visa will get you back into the country, and make requesting your CRNM a lot easier.

@abthree Something else occured to me. Tell me if the new route is ok or to stick with what we just posted. My 97 year old Brazilian 2nd. mother is really the reason I came to Brazil, besides my wife. She is the Family Reunion and still lives here. I have her driver's license, social security benefits statements and once I go to R.I. I may have her Marriage Certificate. I would present my daughter as standing in for her as far as a reunion on Brazilian Soil. I also could get a connection to our address via the prescriptions my wife has for her.

02/03/24  @abthree Something else occured to me. Tell me if the new route is ok or to stick with what we just posted. My 97 year old Brazilian 2nd. mother is really the reason I came to Brazil, besides my wife. She is the Family Reunion and still lives here. I have her driver's license, social security benefits statements and once I go to R.I. I may have her Marriage Certificate. I would present my daughter as standing in for her as far as a reunion on Brazilian Soil. I also could get a connection to our address via the prescriptions my wife has for her.Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

The way I read the rules, if she's your birth mother, she can bring you to Brazil.  If she adopted you (you'd be her "enteado") she can't, unless you're a minor or 100% economically dependent on her.  If she's your foster mother ("mãe de criação") with no formal legal connection, she cannot.   Here's the rule, to review with your lawyers:

https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … chamante-e

Rod, it seems as if your journey became a bit of adventure, maybe even an odyssey.  This is why lf l am ever finally able to move to Brazil l want to have all this taken care of before l ever set foot on an airplane. Boa sorte irmão!

@KenAquarius Not always possible. I was in the courtroom when my wife was going through her divorce proceedings with limited English. Who would have known that 24 years later it would come back to haunt us. In reality the big problem was that both of us are well known by what started out as our nicknames that were always used by family and friends. I had mine officially changed, my wife did not and now she has aliases all over the place.

@abthree It looks like we are IV, but with a little make-up I could look decades younger and qualify for III.1f60e.svg

@roddiesho My wife has told me about how they are with legal documents in Brazil. Any miss spelling or even a missing accent mark could be grounds for rejection. To that end l had to get some of my documents revised as my middle name was spelled wrong

My wife, lawyers and translator left with what I consider a Win and I subsequently paid the large Over Due fine. At the appointment the Federal Police said I had 60 days to travel to the USA and arrange for my updated documents and apostilles.

I can't remember the background story exactly so I might be getting it totally wrong but, in case you have overstayed within your current stay and went to the Policia Federal to pay the relevant fine before leaving the country... That means those 60 days are your limit to leave Brazil and they are counted from the day you visited the PF.

You don't necessarily have to go to the US or to arrange your documents within this time frame.

The 60 days thing works like this: You overstay, you pay the fine voluntarily going to the police, you receive a final 60 days "warning" to exit the country without being fined for those extra days.

More importantly, I would definitely confirm with the lawyer when to come back exactly without headaches, I do remember you had a stressful experience once.

@rocade, @abthree Well you hit the proverbial nail on the head, because I am on the NEXT PLANE OUT of here and i am scared sh____less. My wife told me not to buy a roundtrip ticket (I know there's a joke in there, but I am too nervous.) Luckily I am a born planner and I have pre-planned my documents, luggage, tasks, contacts and everything...but still.

So I will travel to R.I. do the FBI Background Check (then send it off for apostle - 4-6 weeks), Fingerprints, updated Birth Certificate with my new name on it., apostille it - same day for state, Visit Social Security to get a copy of my personal cost of living change - could not access the website, Do my Turbo Taxes on the road, Get my stuff from Public Storage then drive to MD. to meet my daughter and go to the Brazilian Consulate and await their decision. My wife said depending on the decision I could be in America for several months if I am even allowed to come back.

Luckily there is a street corner I am fond of.  Well thanx to the EXPAT.COM Braintrust. Cross your fingers for me.

It'll work out OK for you Roddie.......

@roddiesho Good luck! I have a friend just south of Boston in case you need help changing a flat tire. 😀

@alan279 Thanx, took me most of the day to get the willies out. I am booking now.1f602.svg

@roddiesho I'm booked to leave Tuesday from Fortaleza to Sao Paulo to the USA.1f60e.svg

02/04/24 @roddiesho I'm booked to leave Tuesday from Fortaleza to Sao Paulo to the USA.1f60e.svg-@roddiesho

I HATE having to go through Guarulhos to get anywhere since the pandemic!  Have as good a trip as you can.  You'll be in my prayers.

@roddiesho Boa viagem! Take warm clothes.

Alan

Flights from Recife to Florida resumed some time ago - avoid going down to SP and then back up if you can!

@alan279 Thanx, took me most of the day to get the willies out. I am booking now.1f602.svg-@roddiesho

You do know what a willy is in English…? 🤣🤣🤣

@Peter Itamaraca No is it a good thing or a bad thing?  Anyway I got them out, so I am moving on.

@roddiesho

I am not going to tgel you! Google willy slang...

ya, if your flying. try direct from REC > MIA or REC>FLL FLL better choice as the flights tend to be discounted due to disney promotions. from there you can book anywhere you want in usa lol

@Mikeflanagan

Recife to Orlando as well as Ft Lauderdale...

@abthree

This is it!!!

The Passport, Apostle'd documents etc. have all been submitted Thursday by Federal Express by the Brazilian Consulate Advisor.  i do not know the timeframe but have been told that I will either 1). I Be Approved, 2) Changes Requested, 3). Denied.

"02/03/24 @roddiesho.  So you're going for a VITEM XI based on your relationship with your daughter.  It could work - fingers crossed.

the new visa will get you back into the country and make requesting your CRNM a lot easier.

Roddie in Retirement

could work - fingers crossed.  In that case the documentation of your wife's divorce shouldn't be required,  the new visa will get you back into the country, and make requesting your CRNM a lot easier.

Reply Quote

roddiesho

Reply Quote

abthree

abthree03 February 2024 15:27:54Report#13

02/03/24  @abthree Something else occured to me. Tell me if the new route is ok or to stick with what we just posted. My 97 year old Brazilian 2nd. mother is really the reason I came to Brazil, besides my wife. She is the Family Reunion and still lives here. I have her driver's license, social security benefits statements and once I go to R.I. I may have her Marriage Certificate. I would present my daughter as standing in for her as far as a reunion on Brazilian Soil. I also could get a connection to our address via the prescriptions my wife has for her.Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg-@roddiesho

The way I read the rules, if she's your birth mother, she can bring you to Brazil.  If she adopted you (you'd be her "enteado") she can't, unless you're a minor or 100% economically dependent on her.  If she's your foster mother ("mãe de criação") with no formal legal connection, she cannot.   Here's the rule, to review with your lawyers:

[link under review] … chamante-e

Reply Quote

KenAquarius

KenAquarius03 February 2024 16:37:13Report#14

327Santa Catarina

Rod, it seems as if your journey became a bit of adventure, maybe even an odyssey.  This is why lf l am ever finally able to move to Brazil l want to have all this taken care of before l ever set foot on an airplane. Boa sorte irmão!

Reply Quote

roddiesho

roddiesho03 February 2024 18:21:14Report#15

@KenAquarius Not always possible. I was in the courtroom when my wife was going through her divorce proceedings with limited English. Who would have known that 24 years later it would come back to haunt us. In reality the big problem was that both of us are well known by what started out as our nicknames that were always used by family and friends. I had mine officially changed, my wife did not and now she has aliases all over the place.

Reply Quote

roddiesho

roddiesho03 February 2024 18:26:45Report#16

@abthree It looks like we are IV, but with a little make-up I could look decades younger and qualify for III.1f60e.svg

Reply Quote

KenAquarius

KenAquarius03 February 2024 22:03:17Report#17

327Santa Catarina

@roddiesho My wife has told me about how they are with legal documents in Brazil. Any miss spelling or even a missing accent mark could be grounds for rejection. To that end l had to get some of my documents revised as my middle name was spelled wrong

Reply Quote

rocade

rocade03 February 2024 22:25:14Report#18

My wife, lawyers and translator left with what I consider a Win and I subsequently paid the large Over Due fine. At the appointment the Federal Police said I had 60 days to travel to the USA and arrange for my updated documents and apostilles.

I can't remember the background story exactly so I might be getting it totally wrong but, in case you have overstayed within your current stay and went to the Policia Federal to pay the relevant fine before leaving the country... That means those 60 days are your limit to leave Brazil and they are counted from the day you visited the PF.

You don't necessarily have to go to the US or to arrange your documents within this time frame.

The 60 days thing works like this: You overstay, you pay the fine voluntarily going to the police, you receive a final 60 days "warning" to exit the country without being fined for those extra days.

More importantly, I would definitely confirm with the lawyer when to come back exactly without headaches, I do remember you had a stressful experience once.

Reply Quote

roddiesho

roddiesho04 February 2024 15:27:47Report#19

@rocade, @abthree Well you hit the proverbial nail on the head, because I am on the NEXT PLANE OUT of here and i am scared sh____less. My wife told me not to buy a roundtrip ticket (I know there's a joke in there, but I am too nervous.) Luckily I am a born planner and I have pre-planned my documents, luggage, tasks, contacts and everything...but still.

So I will travel to R.I. do the FBI Background Check (then send it off for apostle - 4-6 weeks), Fingerprints, updated Birth Certificate with my new name on it., apostille it - same day for state, Visit Social Security to get a copy of my personal cost of living change - could not access the website, Do my Turbo Taxes on the road, Get my stuff from Public Storage then drive to MD. to meet my daughter and go to the Brazilian Consulate and await their decision. My wife said depending on the decision I could be in America for several months if I am even allowed to come back.

Luckily there is a street corner I am fond of.  Well thanx to the EXPAT.COM Braintrust. Cross your fingers for me.

Reply Quote

Gasparzinho 777

Gasparzinho 77704 February 2024 15:41:24Report#20

268Rio de Janeiro

It'll work out OK for you Roddie.......

Reply Quote

alan279

alan27904 February 2024 16:57:26Report#21

@roddiesho Good luck! I have a friend just south of Boston in case you need help changing a flat tire. 😀

Reply Quote

roddiesho

roddiesho04 February 2024 19:06:32Report#22

@alan279 Thanx, took me most of the day to get the willies out. I am booking now.1f602.svg

Reply Quote

roddiesho

roddiesho04 February 2024 22:26:13Report#23

@roddiesho I'm booked to leave Tuesday from Fortaleza to Sao Paulo to the USA.1f60e.svg

Reply Quote

abthree

abthree04 February 2024 22:35:52Report#24

02/04/24 @roddiesho I'm booked to leave Tuesday from Fortaleza to Sao Paulo to the USA.1f60e.svg-@roddiesho

I HATE having to go through Guarulhos to get anywhere since the pandemic!  Have as good a trip as you can.  You'll be in my prayers.

Reply Quote

alan279

alan27904 February 2024 22:39:03Report#25

@roddiesho Boa viagem! Take warm clothes.

Alan

Reply Quote

Peter Itamaraca

Peter Itamaraca04 February 2024 23:40:29Report#26

Flights from Recife to Florida resumed some time ago - avoid going down to SP and then back up if you can!

Reply Quote

Peter Itamaraca

Peter Itamaraca04 February 2024 23:42:07Report#27

@alan279 Thanx, took me most of the day to get the willies out. I am booking now.1f602.svg-@roddiesho

You do know what a willy is in English…? 🤣🤣🤣

Reply Quote

roddiesho

roddiesho05 February 2024 20:32:55Report#28

@Peter Itamaraca No is it a good thing or a bad thing?  Anyway I got them out, so I am moving on.

Reply Quote

Peter Itamaraca

Peter Itamaraca05 February 2024 20:47:39Report#29

@roddiesho

I am not going to tgel you! Google willy slang...

Reply Quote

Mikeflanagan

Mikeflanagan05 February 2024 21:19:21Report#30

ya, if your flying. try direct from REC > MIA or REC>FLL FLL better choice as the flights tend to be discounted due to disney promotions. from there you can book anywhere you want in usa lol

Reply Quote

Peter Itamaraca

Peter Itamaraca05 February 2024 21:30:47Report#31

@Mikeflanagan

Recife to Orlando as well as Ft Lauderdale...

Reply Quote

Reliable financial advice

Connect with our financial advisor in Brazil for expats wealth management and financial advice.Click here

roddiesho

roddieshoToday 05:46:29Report#32

@abthree Apostille 

Reply Quote Edit

Quick post

Your reply...

Unsubscribe

Consolite advisor, Fed Eps on Thursday.  

Unsubscribe

Z

04/01/24 @roddiesho.  🤞🏻

@Mikeflanagan

Bom dia. Where are you seeing any DIRECT flights from Recife to MIA or FLL?  The only things that pop up for me are again, heading down south through São Paulo, then back to Florida!

@roddiesho, after Easter prayers go with your application and you....