Public transportation in the Canary Islands

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in the Canary Islands ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in the Canary Islands?

Thanks in advance for participating!

I certainly wish this question was answered.  WHen I get my Lonely Planet guide book, I will know if there is transportation, but not the kind of detail that a person who lives there would know.

Hi!
The public transport on the islands does exist. If it's good compare to other places, that's another question. As I am on Gran Canaria, I will talk about this island :)

There is no subway or train, but the buses. They cover most of the island and practically you can get anywhere with it. The price across the island from north to south is 6-7 euros, but if you go some village to the mountains or moving in the city the fares are different. Not so long time ago was complicated to get to airport, as the bus was leaving you just on the highway, so for some new-landers was a bit confusing. The thing was that taxi took over the tourism, but now with the new government there are positive changes, and even a project for the tram conecting Las Palmas with Maspalomas.

The inconvenience is that most of the buses don't circulate late in the evening. For ex the last bus from Las Palmas to south leaves around 20 o'clock, so if you missed it you stay there or take a taxi around 80 euros. 

If it's safe? Yes, if the driver not speeding enough while driving around mountains, and by the way, it's not uncommon to see how they are stopped by police to get a ticket. if you talk about people, it's very safe here.

My meaning is, the best is to have a car, or at least a scooter. there are plenty of rentals and no problem to get one.

But you can survive, everything depends on your life-style, the location and how open-minded about crazy new experiences you are ;)

Good luck and greetings!

very good public cheap safe service
no worry
it is just fantastic

Thank you !!!!