How to proceed to get Mauritian pension as expat?

Hi, I am new here in the Forums,

I am a German and since 25 years married to my Mauritian Wife, our Daughter grow up here too. Working since 2003 permanently in Mauritius and now starting to prepare for my retirement. The questions are : How to proceed with that request? Is it necessary to apply for the Mauritian Nationality (it seems one colleague in same situation had to do so)?

I would really appreciate, if someone had this experience and can help me to answer the questions.

Thanks a lot in advance,

@uwag

Hello and welcome !

Yes, you need to apply for Mauritius citizenship first to be eligible for local pension scheme.

Find out more about citizenship here : https://dha.govmu.org/Pages/Services/Citizenship.aspx

All the best

Bhavna

You have to be Mauritian to get all the benefits of retirement. Apply as soon as possible, there are lots of documentations to go through.

Dear Bhavna,

many thanks for your quick reply.

Will start to prepare all documents requested and hopefully will be accepted to receive Mauritian Citizenship.

kind regards,  uwag

@uwag

It will be easier to obtain since you are married to a Mauritian citizen,

Feel free to keep us posted and to ask any questions you might have.

All the best

Bhavna

Were you married in Mauritius, or abroad? It might be easier if your marriage certificate is Mauritian.

We were married in Mauritius

@uwag

Before you apply for the Mauritian citizenship, I would recommend that you wait until the new "Staatsbürgerschaftsgesetzt" in Germany is valid (maybe in Aril 2024), as otherwise you will loose your German citizenship. Or you will have to apply for the "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" first, which also takes time and costs.

@mewa does Germany not allow dual citizenship?

No, Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship in general, but as I said it will change soon with the new law that will come in force soon, maybe in April 2024.

If you cannot wait you need to apply for the 'Beibehaltungsgenehmigung'. With that you can have the German and the Mauritian Nationality.

@uwag

No, Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship in general, but as I said it will change soon with the new law that will come in force soon, maybe in April 2024.

If you cannot wait you need to apply for the 'Beibehaltungsgenehmigung'. With that you can have the German and the Mauritian Nationality. Better contact the German consulate for any information.