Expiration date of CRNM

Hello,

How do I know Expiration date of CRNM for each Autorização de Residência?

I want to know the period of CRNM for Autorização de Residência por Uniao Estavel.

I heard CRNM for this is 9 years validated and with this, it's possible to work in Brazil too from many people.

But is this sure? Or depending on the applicant or situation, the period varys?

01/06/24    Hello,
How do I know Expiration date of CRNM for each Autorização de Residência?
I want to know the period of CRNM for Autorização de Residência por Uniao Estavel.

I heard CRNM for this is 9 years validated and with this, it's possible to work in Brazil too from many people.
But is this sure? Or depending on the applicant or situation, the period varys?

-@koirj

The expiration date is the "Validade" date that shows on the CRNM.

For a marriage or a união estável, the residency period is for up to nine years, at the discretion of the Polícia Federal; when a resident foreigner passes 60 years of age, the period becomes "indeterminado".

A foreigner who's residency is based on "reunião familiar" -- marriage, união estável, or having a Brazilian child is free to work for Brazilian employers, unlike Digital Nomads.

@abthree

Thank you for replying.

It's "up to 9 years"?

It means that it can be 1 year?

Policial Federal decides the "validade" based on what?

01/06/24 It's "up to 9 years"?
It means that it can be 1 year?

Policial Federal decides the "validade" based on what?

-@koirj

No, There's an excellent chance that the first time will be for the full nine years, but the PF is increasingly sensitive that foreigners may be arranging marriages of convenience or "uniões estáveis" of convenience to evade the immigration laws, without any intention of staying with their Brazilian partners.  If they suspect that may be the case, they have the authority to grant a shorter period the first time.  A year would be too short; four or five years would be more like it.  If the relationship is still intact after that time, the renewal would almost certainly be for the full nine years.

@abthree

Thank you for explaning well.

I understood it.

I wonder how difficult it would be to switch from a current retirement residency to a marriage one? Right now I'm in the middle of a 2-year retirement residency. And what's the difference between a reunião familiar and a união estável? Is there any difference in the documentation between a retirement and a marriage residency? Do you have extra rights as a marriage resident versus a retirement resident? Thanks

01/06/24  I wonder how difficult it would be to switch from a current retirement residency to a marriage one? Right now I'm in the middle of a 2-year retirement residency. And what's the difference between a reunião familiar and a união estável? Is there any difference in the documentation between a retirement and a marriage residency? Do you have extra rights as a marriage resident versus a retirement resident? Thanks     

-@jasonlovesdogs

It shouldn't  be too hard.  Brazilian citizens have a constitutional right to live in Brazil with their family members, and for their sake, residency by virtue of Reunião Familiar is privileged and easy to obtain for those who qualify and follow the procedures.

Reunião familiar is available through marriage to a Brazilian, establishing a união estável (civil partnership)  with a Brazilian, having a Brazilian child, and a few other routes that depend on close family relationships.  In the case of a união estável that has NOT been legalized at a cartório, the Polícia Federal will ordinarily want evidence that the couple has been living together and sharing household expenses for at least a year.  In the case of a marriage or a união estável legalized at a cartório, the cartório certificate generally is sufficient to establish the relationship.

The required documentation is not very different from what you would have to produce to renew your Residency Authorization based on Retirement, except that you will not have to prove or meet any income requirements. 

@jasonlovesdogs

Bom dia amigo!

I was on a 2 year Retirement Visa that began in 2022. I married my Brazilian wife in August, 2023. I just went through the process of getting "permanent" residency through "Family Reunion" in November.  The process was very easy.  Much easier in fact than actually getting married. Lol.. Our marriage required a lot more completion of forms and notaries and apostilles and bureaucracy than my getting permanent residency. Or what they call "Residencia Indeterminda."  That just means it never expires.  As long as we are married, my status will never change. I keep my same RG number and the Policia Federal just took a new foto, and new fingerprints. 

The process is explained well on the gov.br site.   

Boa sorte com tudo! 

@abthree Great information

@MA22 Wow. We are basically in the same boat because I got married in October and I was on a retirement residency. I wonder if I should wait until it almost expires to switch it to a marriage residency? Did you do it yourself or did you hire someone? I had to hire somebody to do my marriage and my retirement visa because of the bureaucracy. Is it hard to do a marriage residency? What documents would I need? Do I need an apostile again? Can I just go to PF? Are there any benefits to one from the other? Thanks for the response.

01/06/24    Hello,How do I know Expiration date of CRNM for each Autorização de Residência?I want to know the period of CRNM for Autorização de Residência por Uniao Estavel.I heard CRNM for this is 9 years validated and with this, it's possible to work in Brazil too from many people.But is this sure? Or depending on the applicant or situation, the period varys?        -@koirjThe expiration date is the "Validade" date that shows on the CRNM. For a marriage or a união estável, the residency period is for up to nine years, at the discretion of the Polícia Federal; when a resident foreigner passes 60 years of age, the period becomes "indeterminado".A foreigner who's residency is based on "reunião familiar" -- marriage, união estável, or having a Brazilian child is free to work for Brazilian employers, unlike Digital Nomads.        -@abthree

The reuniao familiar is very very expensive. lol ( child route )

@jasonlovesdogs

Bom dia!

I did this all myself.  No need to hire anyone. My expiration was a few months away, but I decided that there was no good reason to wait, so we went ahead and completed the forms, signed everything, paid online and set up the appointment with the Policia Federal.  I will send the link for you with requirements.  The only glitch we had was I needed a new criminal background check here in Brazil, since my previous one had been in the US, back in April, 2022. They pulled up my info online at the PF office here, I paid another nominal R$ 20 or so for that and then they were able to process and approve my "Permanent Residency."  Residencia Indeterminada.

https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … o-familiar

You can get this in English too....

Send me a private message if you need any more specifics... Boa sorte!  Abaço.

@MA22 Excellent. I sent you a message with questions. Thanks.