Travel alert in Thailand

I just read this on an Australian 'Smart traveler' website...

"Exercise a high degree of caution to Thailand overall due to the risk of civil unrest and the threat of terrorism, including in Bangkok and Phuket.

Higher levels apply in some areas"

Is that right? Or is just another misinformation Australian government is giving travelers?

They say it commenced at Nov 10 and it still valid, but I've been in Khao Lak for a week after Nov 10 and didn't hear anything about any risk...

I just read this on an Australian 'Smart traveler' website..."Exercise a high degree of caution to Thailand overall due to the risk of civil unrest and the threat of terrorism, including in Bangkok and Phuket. Higher levels apply in some areas"Is that right? Or is just another misinformation Australian government is giving travelers?They say it commenced at Nov 10 and it still valid, but I've been in Khao Lak for a week after Nov 10 and didn't hear anything about any risk...        -@Guy Dolev

Why do you read nonsense like this?? Have you heard about official news websites?? Where do you think expats in Thailand read news? I mean expats that can read.

@Guy Dolev

1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg

@Leeds forever!

I know it's not true,since I actually was in Thailand recently and felt very safe. I just wondered why a government website put fear in travellers head...That's all

@Pilouthai

Do you speak any languages other than 'Emojish'?

There is a constant risk of terrorism in Bangkok and more so in the south of Thailand, i was caught up in the Erawan Shrine bombing about 9 years ago and narrowly missed the bombing in Huahin. I wasnt perturbed by it as i come from Belfast . Follow media alerts and if you see thais running try and keep up.

Terry

@Terrymedlicott

Thanks for that. As much as it's not encouraging, it's good to know and to be alerted

Its a daily occurance in muslim south but rare for tourists to be targeted.

@Terrymedlicott

So it's mostly around the Malaysian border?

Provinces of Pattani, Narithawat, Songkla, Yala , Nakon si Thammarat, Satun , and Surat Thani.

"Exercise a high degree of caution to Thailand overall due to the risk of civil unrest and the threat of terrorism, including in Bangkok and Phuket.

Is that right? Or is just another misinformation Australian government is giving travelers?
They say it commenced at Nov 10 and it still valid, but I've been in Khao Lak for a week after Nov 10 and didn't hear anything about any risk...

-@Guy Dolev

Agree with Leeds. This is nonsense. 1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg

-@Guy Dolev

It has been common knowledge for years that anywhere south of Phuket is dangerous due to cultural inhabitants and random bombings, which I why my Harley trips NEVER go south of Phuket.  It has been much quieter in the last 5 years or so.

@Karambit

I thought the only thing south of Phuket is the sea...Being an island...

thailand-admin-map.jpg@Guy Dolev

Ever heard of Songkhla and Betong?

@Terrymedlicott

Where donyou live .  i live in Surathani province and i go to Nakhon Si Thammarat every month . the risk is not far from zero. The most ”dangerous ” one is Pattani

@Guy Dolev we just left Bangkok and heard nothing about that from our guide or anyone else while we were there.

@carter032210

So it's just misinformation from the Australian government, as always...

There was a Church bombing in the RP on Sunday, and Isreal - Gaza situation. Possible...maybe. Likely...low.

There was a Church bombing in the RP on Sunday, and Isreal - Gaza situation. Possible...maybe. Likely...low.         -@WiredTight

What has that got to do with nonsense travel alerts in Thailand from a clueless aussie website?

There are more s*** going on in Europe and the US every week compared to 5 years in Thailand,if we exclude neverending problems in muslim provinces in the south.

@Leeds forever!

If the intent is to spread, or focus more world attention to the current Israel - Gaza conflict as a rallying cry, or press the Thai gov't on issues in the Southern provinces, then yes. This Xmas season might be on the list. Again, probability is Low.

I guess not only are you an Expert on Thailand knowledge, but it also on world Terrorism.

@Leeds forever!
I know it's not true,since I actually was in Thailand recently and felt very safe. I just wondered why a government website put fear in travellers head...That's all

-@Guy Dolev

Pay no attention, he love to be sarcastic, its in his blood.

He is a leeeeeeeeeds fan, that explains it all...

I visited a friend in Hat Yai that is located in the Songkhla province.

She has a friend that is a soldier and he showed me video of a fire

fight between the Thai military and muslim insurgents. There is

definitely problems with Muslim ppl in Thailand as well as in the

Philippines.

As to how often this happens and to what degree we didn't get

into a lot of detail. But, it is a real concern. But as someone else

said I think by and large the tourist areas are not in the crossfire so

to speak.

I just read this on an Australian 'Smart traveler' website..."Exercise a high degree of caution to Thailand overall due to the risk of civil unrest and the threat of terrorism, including in Bangkok and Phuket. Higher levels apply in some areas"Is that right? Or is just another misinformation Australian government is giving travelers?They say it commenced at Nov 10 and it still valid, but I've been in Khao Lak for a week after Nov 10 and didn't hear anything about any risk...        -@Guy Dolev

Anything can happen south of Nakhon Si Tammarat, and ofcourse Bangkok is always a target to insane islamists!

But, you cant trust aussie mainstream media, so why read or listen to them.

They are just as trustworthy as the insane islamists!

Philippines.
to speak.

-@scbrock

But then 1947 or 48 (Memory fails), a mix of Muslims being bugged by Thailand and (later) drug dealers got the job running again.

At the end of the day, there is an issue, but not that big a one by world standards.

As a note, the south of Thailand is absolutely magical and very much worth a visit.

As for the Aussies and alerts - What a bunch of wimps.

Philippines.
to speak.

-@scbrock

What's happening in the south is totally irrelevant when it comes to tourism. You're a rookie in Thailand, and maybe you dont know that 3-4 provinces in southern Thailand have for many years been on alert lists at embassies all around the world. Even thai authorities have for many years informed people about problems down south.

@Fred

Haha you're right about the Aussies. But then they flock in millions every year to Bali! Bali!!! Where they had the biggest terrorist attack against Aussies! 😂

@Leeds forever!I know it's not true,since I actually was in Thailand recently and felt very safe. I just wondered why a government website put fear in travellers head...That's all        -@Guy Dolev

Pay no attention, he love to be sarcastic, its in his blood.
He is a leeeeeeeeeds fan, that explains it all...

-@Stucker

I'm not even trying to be sarcastic, you'll know when I am. I actually know what I'm talking about after many years here. This is 'expat.com' not 'sittinginthesofabackhome.com'. Just saying.

I visited a friend in Hat Yai that is located in the Songkhla province.She has a friend that is a soldier and he showed me video of a firefight between the Thai military and muslim insurgents. There isdefinitely problems with Muslim ppl in Thailand as well as in thePhilippines. As to how often this happens and to what degree we didn't get into a lot of detail. But, it is a real concern. But as someone elsesaid I think by and large the tourist areas are not in the crossfire soto speak.        -@scbrockWhat's happening in the south is totally irrelevant when it comes to tourism. You're a rookie in Thailand, and maybe you dont know that 3-4 provinces in southern Thailand have for many years been on alert lists at embassies all around the world. Even thai authorities have for many years informed people about problems down south.         

-@Leeds forever!

Thanks for setting me straight. I know I can count on you to show

your expertise. Whether it's wanted or not. I am surprised we are

even worthy of your time. I should be grateful you are willing to

"enlighten" us "rookies"

@Leeds forever!

Hmmm...So if a bomb, gunshot, or a Firecracker was to go off (south, north, east, west)...and someone was injured...are you saying the the current Thai PM wouldn't be on the horn to assure the world that all is good in the Land of Smiles.

Sir Leeds, I think you should stick to quoting Immigration, and other domestic comments (which I appreciate), and leave Life outside of Thailand, and other subjects to other more qualified people...After all...you've been in Thailand for soooooo long, maybe you need to step outside your bubble, and get breathe of air. Have a good day...Happy Fathers Day.

If you have ever been to Betong and travelled through Yala, you would see first hand what the troubles are like there. It looks like Belfast in the 70s. They advise only essential travel in these areas! I was already there before I looked it up!