Anyone ever took the train to Malta from the UK?

It's a little while off until we go to Malta but I am wondering if there are alternatives to flying? Ideally I would have loved to sail there but I don't think you can go one way?  So our other option is the train then ferry. I know the flight is shorter and less hassle but neither my husband or I are fond of flying and our baby is currently five months so don't really want the hassle of flying with a baby. A cruise ship or train would be ideal.

Just wondered if anyone had done this?

Could not be easier they say, http://www.seat61.com/Malta.htm I would think flight from Preswick would be much less hassle with a baby than 3 or 4 days by train, boat, metro and you still need to get coach or train to London. Just an idea but if you have a year before you come invest the time in a driving license it would make your life so much easier if you want to travel with kids and all the kit that goes with them, Jim n Bev

You can travel by freighter as a passenger. Just do a google search and there are sites that allow you to enter the port that you want to depart from and your destination. Its not quick or cheap as sometimes the ship calls in at other ports to load unload cargo but the accomodation is a good standard.
We looked at travelling from Malta to USA this way but in the end it was going to take too long.
Terry

yeah, it goes past our house three times a day.

This company runs from UK to Malta, looks like it takes 5 days but as I said, not cheap.

freightercruises.com/seaworthy_news_1108.php

Terry

I would suggest driving down. A few stops on the way but best option if you dont fancy flying.