German formalities

Hi beth_1130,

Maybe you could help me with my problem.
I got married to a German guy a month ago but I haven't changed my status yet, still using my single name. we both want to work together specifically in europe where we can settle down.  We both work on a ship where we met.  But we planned to work on land now.  Is it easy for me to get a visa or a working permit from other country like London eventhough I don't have a German passport?

Hope to hear from you soon.

thanks in advance:cool:

Hi ichliebedich!

Your message was moved to a new thread on the Hamburg forum for better visibility.

Regards
Armand

Hello ichliebdich,

It would be a lot easier if you hold a German Passport and know some basic German language ahead of time before you get a position esp. on-land.

I can't give much further help because my in-laws helped me with the formalities and translations.

Germany requires far more documents than I anticipated!
So be prepared on acquiring them.

much luck to you:)

Hi sangie,
thanks for the info.  been studying German language at home to learn few words to interact. guess needs to stay in Germany for 3years in order to get German passport :(

A marriage to a EU citizen means you can get a work permit for any European country. Check the German embassy and let them guide you through the process.
And yes, they do require some residency before you can apply for a German PASSPORT. You can get a visa. You do not need a passport to stay legally.

You will also, if you come to Germany , need to sort out your health insurance status. Is your husband in the German public system? If so, and if you donŽt work or at least donŽt earn more than 375 euros a month , you can get co-insured on his at no extra cost. But you canŽt get residency without health insurance. The problem: if your husband is privately health insured, youŽll need to get your own private one. Not an easy task here for a non-EU citizen, even one married to a German.