Hello Everyone....I'm In Need Of Some Hand-Holding.

My name is Ken.  I'm an American from NC/Mass.  I moved to Cartagena on April 30 of this year,

and have been living in an AirBnB in BocaGrande since I arrived. 

I have already applied for the 90 day extension, which would allow me to remain here until sometime

in late October.....the 26th, I believe.

Since I retired a few years ago, I have always intended to become a more-or-less permanent resident

of Colombia.  I have a bit of money in the bank (although no one would call me rich...) and my SS check

is well above the $800 threshold required by the Colombian government.

I have contacted (and paid for) a professional Immigration Assistance Service in Medellin recently.  They

sent me a list of steps I need to take and complete in order to successfully submit for an M (Migrant) Visa,

which can be renewed on an annual basis, or a P (Pension) Visa, also annually renewable.

I have an understanding of most of the steps I need to take. 

I know I need proof of health insurance.  Okay, that's pretty straightforward.

I know I need a Colombian doctor to certify that I'm reasonably healthy.  Again...pretty straightforward.

I have forwarded a digital copy of my passport to the Visa Assistance Agency.

And I know about the Apostille process for the docs regarding my income verification, and the FBI background

check.  I have someone in the states who will do that for me....for a fee.

The one that is keeping me up nights is the FBI Background Check.  I'm not worried about what's in my history....

as far as I know, there shouldn't be anything that presents an issue. What is baffling me is the fingerprints on a

very specific form thing.  I can download the form from the FBI site, I know that.  I don't have a printer at this point,

but a friend can print that out for me.  What I don't understand is who to go to here in Cartagena, who can do the

fingerprints on that form, and who the FBI will accept as legit.

I am ashamed to admit, I totally wasted the whole first 5 weeks of my stay here, and I'm getting a very late start on

this.  I really have to get all the steps right before I submit my Visa application to the Colombian government.  I cannot

afford any re-do's or re-submits because this or that is wrong or missing.

Can anyone out there hold my hand through this process and guide me to a successful Visa application?  I'm an emotional

wreck right now!!

Ken Allen Moore

I was just checking on a retirement visa. It's the pension visa I think you're talking about. It's an M-11 visa and it's now renewable every 3 years. The site I was looking at specifically mentioned you can't have mental health issues or PTSD or bad physical issues and your income must be verified and apostled. It says you can apply online and must be at least 65 unless you're a disabled veteran (which is my case). This is the government website to apply for a visa https://tramitesmre.cancilleria.gov.co/ … Visa.xhtml

https://www.cancilleria.gov.co/tramites … requisitos

Thanks, khobbs, but what about my issues on fulfilling the FBI background check requirement?

Also, If there are no major hiccups in the visa application itself, is there any reason to fear that it

may be rejected?

KAM

Hello, I'm kinda in the same boat. My family and I moved to Cartagena as well. 

I'm here with my wife and 2 children. I am aiming to put them in the colegio de britanico, however i don't know why I did not think of visas. We just got here 4 weeks ago now so I am not sure on what the steps are for us.

Do we apply for the educational visa for the children? will that extend to us being that they are 3 and a half and 6 years old?

If not what exactly do we do in this situation? my original plan was for us to come and live her for only 14 months then head back to the states but it looks like thats getting more and more complicated.

Anyone have any advice?

I'm not sure about your concerns with the background check but I have heard that it's wise to use a visa company because Colombia is very particular and is prone to rejection. This is who I'm using***

There's also visas by James

This link addresses the retirement visa specifically. A lot of good info here.

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : Companies other than official websites should be shared in private. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Osaya check the 2 links I just posted. Like I said I've been told it's wise to use a visa service because Colombia is very particular and prone to rejection.

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : Commercial companies should be shared through private message.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Osaya, welcome to the forums of Expat.com ...

If you're serious about Colegio Británico, ask them

to guide you in your next steps and to support

acquiring whatever visas may be involved.

cccmedia

@khobbs40

@Osaya check the 2 links I just posted. Like I said I've been told it's wise to use a visa service because Colombia is very particular and prone to rejection.

I think the hot new name in visa processing is a German lawyer in Medellin named Christoph.  I think Peligro will consult with him before his next visa application, and may even have him process his application.