Secure your financial assets as an expat in Thailand

Hello everyone,

As we navigate the exciting world of living and working in Thailand, it's essential to make informed decisions about our financial future.
We'd love to hear about the different investment options available for expats: how to invest in Thailand or in your home country, explore international options or use online accounts.

To kick off the discussion, here are some guiding questions:

What are the investment opportunities as an expat in Thailand? Are there any specific investment programs?

In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages of investing internationally ? How is your experience with international investments?

What specific points should you consider regarding your investments as an expat (exchange rate management, international tax obligations or repatriation of funds)?

Do you use specialized banking services for expats, such as multi-currency accounts? What are the pros of these services and how do they help you with your finances?

How is the property market for expats? Are there any specific regulations or aspects we should be aware of when investing in real estate in Thailand?

What strategies do you apply to save and invest for your financial future in Thailand and/or to secure your children's financial future?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us!

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Are you moving to Thailand as your location says Mauritius? If you pay tax in Thailand, then consider RMFs and SSFs which can save you Thai tax (see https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal … ds/RMF-SSF but all banks do them). Otherwise for international investments, steer clear of insurance bonds and regular savings plans offered by most advisers as they are expensive. There are quality, reasonably priced international investment managers available.

I use Etrade mutual funds and Coinbase for digital coin investment ... have for years , only have local bank accounts for paying for day to day expenses , invest in Thailand ...lol .. other than having bought a house outright for cash 6 years ago and it has doubled in value due to the interest rates being overly high ... I can't see investing here ... laws ... rules ... management fees ... being an american I can maintain an American bank account , free of Thai influence or reporting requirement and taxes , as well as the overseas previously mentioned investment accounts ... rules and changing rules here are not conducive to safe secure investments in my opinion ... Thai being maintained under near martial law any time the military wants to doesn't warrant me investing here ... again just my opinion ... 10 years now living in and around Thailand so I think I have a fair assessment of the country on the whole .. but again ... mileage may vary ...

@PaulWyatt333 wrote:

Are you moving to Thailand as your location says Mauritius? If you pay tax in Thailand, then consider RMFs and SSFs which can save you Thai tax (see https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal … ds/RMF-SSF but all banks do them).

Will check on these too, thanks.

Question: I'm looking for a bank that offers premium account services with investment options (ETFs, indices, mutual funds in the international market) or a private bank. My private bank has an office in Bangkok, I will be based in Pattaya, I would prefer a bank with a local branch or relationship management office. Do you have any suggestions about how to go about my search? Both are tied to either getting an O- or an LTR-visa, and which way I go will depend on which visa I choose for me and my family (+wife +kid).

Thanks in advance and cheers!

I have both Bangkok Bank and Krungthai bank accounts and both are similar. Their RMFs certainly offer international investments. As to anything further than that I don't know.

@PaulWyatt333 - Thanks - based on this:

I have both Bangkok Bank and Krungthai bank accounts and both are similar. Their RMFs certainly offer international investments. As to anything further than that I don't know.

What does RMF mean in this context?  Reverse Mortgage Funding?  To try to contextualize this and previous responses.  I'm not familiar with some of the acronyms.  Thanks!

Royal Mutual Funds, I just googled it. Of course, I don't know what's royal about them. Maybe they only invest in Thailand?