The importance of local language in Thailand

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in Thailand.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in Thailand? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in Thailand?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

@Cheryl hi. im in thailand over 10 year. i can't speak very good thai.. but if you want live here  you find some free place to learn thai. and in thailand you can speak english  its normal here. no problem. if you want to know more  connect me please.  good luck

@Cheryl hi. im in thailand over 10 year. i can't speak very good thai.. but if you want live here you find some free place to learn thai. and in thailand you can speak english its normal here. no problem. if you want to know more connect me please. good luck
-@tehrann1212

"and in thailand you can speak english  its normal here. no problem"

You can't have been around much out in the sticks in Thailand. Try to speak English up in for example Isaan. I've been around for many years and the only places where you can speak english and they will understand you, are places where tourists are staying. I've been living in three provinces both with and without farang and the difference is huge.

I've been in Thailand For about 3 years off and on. I've been trying to learn the language in part to take in the culture and also out of respect to the Thai people. I really haven't tried to learn to write the language. There are many apps to learn the language I use one called simply Thai and practice with a few Thai friends.

I find that the most difficult part of the language to grasp is the inflection as there are as many as seven different ways of speaking the same word with different inflections and the words have completely different meanings although it's the spelled the same. It doesn't make it any easier with 44 letters in their alphabet there are new sounds to learn to pronounce. English only has 26.

I find that the Thai people that speak the best English are usually in the tourism industry that shouldn't be surprising. I traveled to Hat Yai and stayed for 10 days and saw very very few white people and most of the Thai people did not speak English.

Also, as we age it gets more difficult to learn a new language. When I was 19 years old I stayed in Korea for two years in the military and still remember much of what I learned but I'm finding it much more difficult at this age to learn and retain a new language.

I've been in Thailand For about 3 years off and on. I've been trying to learn the language in part to take in the culture and also out of respect to the Thai people. I really haven't tried to learn to write the language. There are many apps to learn the language I use one called simply Thai and practice with a few Thai friends.
I find that the most difficult part of the language to grasp is the inflection as there are as many as seven different ways of speaking the same word with different inflections and the words have completely different meanings although it's the spelled the same. It doesn't make it any easier with 44 letters in their alphabet there are new sounds to learn to pronounce. English only has 26.

I find that the Thai people that speak the best English are usually in the tourism industry that shouldn't be surprising. I traveled to Hat Yai and stayed for 10 days and saw very very few white people and most of the Thai people did not speak English.

Also, as we age it gets more difficult to learn a new language. When I was 19 years old I stayed in Korea for two years in the military and still remember much of what I learned but I'm finding it much more difficult at this age to learn and retain a new language.
-@scbrock

Thai is a so called tonal language. There are only 5 tones,not seven. Where did you get that from? It's low,mid,high,falling and rising. If you can't hear the difference between those 5 tones, you can never learn to speak Thai or other tonal languages.

Yes, you are correct there are only 5 tones.

Did you have something to add to the conversation

as far as your experience with the Thai language?

Yes, you are correct there are only 5 tones.
Did you have something to add to the conversation
as far as your experience with the Thai language?
-@scbrock

I manage quite good in Thai. I've been here many years,and I speak way more Thai daily than English or any other language. But one thing I often think about is the amount of retired expats with almost non-existing Thai language skills. I know loads of expats from many countries and most of them can't say 10 words in thai,and some of them have been here several years. They have sort of given up,and they don't actually care. They meet friends from same country almost every day and speak 99.9% of the time in a language other than thai.

There of course isn't a requirement to learn Thai and it's a matter

of personal choice but there certainly can be many advantages of

knowing the language such as in business situations and too many

others.

I would think that in business knowing the language and with it some

of the customs would go a long way to closing deals and having good

relations with partners etc. But I'm not speaking from experience.

Most of the Thai I learned was from a Thai friend that was very patient

and she spoke very good English

@Leeds forever! I live near a small town in Loei. Very little English is spoken here which does make it difficult. I am trying to learn Thai but catching the tonal inflections is difficult for me as I am moderately deaf. I am trying but even with hearing aids I am still having a difficult time with that.

@Leeds forever! I live near a small town in Loei. Very little English is spoken here which does make it difficult. I am trying to learn Thai but catching the tonal inflections is difficult for me as I am moderately deaf. I am trying but even with hearing aids I am still having a difficult time with that.
-@rzugnoni

Many years ago I stayed in Khon Kaen province with my gf. Not one person in the neighborhood spoke one word in English. I understand your situation. That's the problem with tonal languages.

-@rzugnoni
Many years ago I stayed in Khon Kaen province with my gf. Not one person in the neighborhood spoke one word in English. I understand your situation. That's the problem with tonal languages.
-@Leeds forever!

I've learned to be careful about trying. If I don't say my brother-in-law's name just right I'm actually calling him "horny". Fortunately he sees the humor in that. I'm not sure anyone else would.

Hey everyone,

I would like to thank you all for your valuable contributions to this thread!

It is truly remarkable how each individual brings their own unique experiences and viewpoints, making this discussion even more enriching.1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Compared to other languages in the region such as Vietnamese and Khmer, Thai (and Lao) are quite easy to learn, both speaking and reading.

However, listening and writing are still somewhat difficult.

Look for a copy of "The Fundamentals of the Thai Language".

Also, there are numerous instructional videos on the internet.

Compared to other languages in the region such as Vietnamese and Khmer, Thai (and Lao) are quite easy to learn, both speaking and reading.
However, listening and writing are still somewhat difficult.

Look for a copy of "The Fundamentals of the Thai Language".
Also, there are numerous instructional videos on the internet.
-@jayrozzetti23

Listening and speaking Thai goes hand in hand. If you can't hear the differences in tones,then you can't speak as well. Saying that Thai is easier to learn than Vietnamese just shows you haven't got a clue.

@scbrock Thanks, good info in your message.

I find it intimidating, but reslly want to.

My wife is Thai but not a patient, good instructor.

Lol.

I always have too many questions.

Will checkbout Simply Thai.

Thank you again.