Formalities to bring your pet in Belgium

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Belgium?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Belgium?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Belgium?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Hi,

I think it depends a bit where you come from and what pet you have.

If you come from the UK, you need a passport for dogs, cats and ferrets but smaller pets like guinea pigs can travel on the eurotunnel without any paperworks

Hi Liesbethvd!

Thanks for your contribution ;)

Armand

hi you need a pet passport basically its just a document from the vet to say your dog or cat has been vaccinated against rabies it cost around £80.00 and is accepted all over EU but check with DEFRA.CO.UK

Thank you for this info happyteresa1! :)

I moved to Belgium with 2 pet rats, during the actual move I was not required to obtain paperwork, only Cats, Dogs and Ferrets require a pet passport.

One thing to note however is that if you are using any of the ferry services (UK > France/Belgium) they will charge an extra £50 for you to take animals. You do not receive anything for this service and you are not even allowed to go back to the car deck to check on your animal. The ferry service will also not take responsibility if anything happens. I still don't quite understand how they can justify it.

Yeah and dont they have to spend so long in quartine