Ferry crossing with a car

hi,
i will be moving to malta by car. i wonder how does the ferry crossing look like - is there any border control in valletta port? i'm asking because i will be taking two pets with me and i don't want any hassle with that. i'm also going to have my small gerdenia plant with me.

if anyone has done it before (coming into malta by car) or knows anyway please let me know!

thanks!

Hi travelEU,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Your dogs will require an import licences and pet passports

hello Christine! thanks for a warm welcome!

Have you investigated all the ramifications of bringing your own car into Malta - it can be a minefield and potentially very expensive depending upon your circumstances, expectations etc.

Tim

Seriously Tim,

I really didn't have that much of a Problem getting the car sorted.... everyboody says how much of a problamatic system it is and really if you follow the rules and guidance then there is not problem..

The only new thing is the Odemeter reading which you can get done by email or ring them and pay.

As long as you check the details and dont try to hide things then its no problem

Julian

Regarding the bringing of your own car into Malta, it very much depends upon your period of ownership and whether or not you aim to apply for the registration tax exemption.

Friends recently went through the exemption route and simply had to prove that they had owned the car for greater than 2 years and that the car had only been in Malta for a short period pre making their initial application and undertaking the VTR etc... All went quite smoothly for them once the TM had undertaken their investigation and issued the exemption certificate.

On the other hand, I decided to sell my Land Rover in the UK and purchase something more suitable for Maltese roads, I therefore had no exemption rights and simply shipped the purchased car over by transporter, collected it and took it for a VTR test, then went to ADT, registered it, paid the tax and got my Maltese registration... quite simply, provide the Log Book, UK number plates, copy of my ID card, signed Valuation report, Insurance documents, VTR paperwork, JEVIC mileage report and part 1 & 2 forms and it is easy... the hanging around waiting was the worst bit but even that was only a couple of hours...

Don't be concerned about this, simply make sure you have the correct documents and it is really quite easy (but do not try missing anything... you simply get sent away and have to start again if you do!!!)

Mike

scubaboy wrote:

Seriously Tim,

I really didn't have that much of a Problem getting the car sorted....

Julian

Julian - sorry if you misunderstood me, the OP didn't mention whether they had done any investigations into bringing their car in and was just asking about ferry crossings, so I just wanted to make them aware quickly that there are some issues that they should research first.

Tim

No worrys mate...

I do understand that there have been issues, but if people do their research its quite a simple process... I think Mike has actually put it into a very shortened but easily understood version

Julian

We brought out 3 dogs and 2 cats over from Barcelona by ferry. 

Your dogs will need current passports (all vaccinations etc up to  date).  That is pretty much it.  They must be booked on the ferry as travellers the same as you.  There are kennels available on board (not nice but functional), you will be responsible for feeding and exercising them, cleaning their kennel while in use.

There are some cabins available that will allow you to take your pet in the cabin with you, worth checking this.  I think it allows 1 pet, but nobody will notice two small as long as you keep checks on them.

At Valletta, there are checks as you leave the ferry port, they take the registration number of the vehicle leaving and most passports, including pet.  However, when I drove off of the ferry to the control exit, the three dogs were barking, the two cats screeching, I looked a little worse for wear.  The guy just waved me through despite my frantically waving all six passports at him through the window, which had decided not to open, I probably looked like some kind of maniac and he took one look and thought,'no thanks'.

Pretty simple really.
xx good luck

Can you tell me which ferry company you used from Barcelona to Malta please. I will be taking my dog and 2 cats. Many thanks

We used Grandi Navi Veloci.

Booked through Viamare Ltd

"[email protected]"

Hope this helps.xx

As I recall Lucyanya, it was two individual ferries...

Barcelona to Girona, then by road to Livorno and the second ferry to Valletta...

I stand corrected....  must have been the barking dogs...grin.

True, two ferries.

xx