Regarding the best way to obtain a K visa

Hi, l am now living in Kenya with my partner. I have extended my visa twice now. Can you please give me information regarding the best way to obtain a K visa, thanks.

Hello gffwhite,

Welcome to Expat.com  1f601.svg

Please note that I have created a new thread with your post on the Kenya forum for more visibility.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

There isn't a 'best' way, as there is basically only one way and that is via the online portal.  One of the main requirements is being over 35 years of age and with an assured income of $24,000 per annum (about £19,000) which should be from sources other than work in Kenya - the government do prefer it if the income is from outside Kenya, but it can be from Kenyan investments.  The permit costs Ksh 100,000 per year and is usually renewable on a 2 yearly cycle.  I have had one and it is fairly straightforward to apply for and you shouldn't need a lawyer.  However the application can take a few months.

More information here:  https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/permits/classK/

@Longonot62 I am in the US and I want to obtain a K visa in Kenya.  What do I put for a "Proposed Address" if I don't live in Kenya, and I do not have any relatives or friends who reside in Kenya?

To the best of my knowledge you would apply for the Class K when you are in Kenya and I assume might be renting a property, then you would use that address.

I only say I assume as we had our own property at the time of application.  I also went to Kenya on a Single Entry Visa/Permit and applied for the Class K once I was there.

I understand and thank you.

@Longonot62 I enjoy reading you're responses and have learned a lot. I am curious about the Class-K Visa. My wife and I would love to resettle our family of 4 to Kenya. We both have investments well above the 25k threshold. She's a teacher, so relocating and finding gainful employment might be easier for her. However, for me, I work remote for a US Based company. They have no qualm about me working from anywhere as long as I can get the work done. My ignorant guess is that my assets would qualify my to obtain a Class-K Visa, however, would I have to give up my remote job to legally live in Kenya?

K Visa (Ordinary) Entry permits are issued to a person(s) who have assured income derived from sources outside (pensions, etc.)  and undertakes not to accept paid employment of any kind.

You can have all the income you desire outside of Kenya, but no income generating activities of any kind in Kenya.  That even includes being a volunteer. 

@surah1636 That is very helpful, so I don't have to give up my job abroad in the US as long as I can verify my non-employment income capability.

I would look more into it as I am not an expert, but I would feel confident with the application. 

Jadam; Bear in mind that the law was passed before remote and online working was commonplace, so as far as I am aware, as long as your income is derived from work outside Kenya, then you would be able to obtain a Class K permit.

Regarding the 'above 25K investment' it is your income that should be in excess of this, rather than any investments or savings.

With regard to your wife gaining employment as a teacher, I don't think that you should build up your hopes.  Getting a work permit is not easy and Kenya is not short of teachers.  The process of obtaining a work permit involves the permit being applied for before you travel to Kenya, unlike the Class K Permit. 

You may be able to get a Dependent Pass for your wife - its very cheap, but she would be unable to work - I am not absolutely sure about this because my wife is Kenyan.

@Longonot62 This is helpful to know. We were looking at West Nairobi School, or some international schools, as a possible place for her to work, and our children to attend. Definitely discouraging on the teaching front, but this gives us a lot to think about. Thanks for your feedback.

@Longonot62 "You may be able to get a Dependent Pass for your wife - its very cheap, but she would be unable to work - I am not absolutely sure about this because my wife is Kenyan."

Exactly to what I was referring.

@jadam1037 I was also disappointed about not being able to volunteer.

Your best shot at a teaching job would be at a British/US owned international school, but she would have to secure a job first.  It is the employer who applies for the permit and as part of this, they must evidence why the post cannot be filled by a Kenyan.  The employer is supposed to appoint a Kenyan understudy who is trained up over 2 years then take over, so in quite a few cases foreigners with work permits are heading home after 2 years!

There used to be a lot of corruption around issuance of foreign work permits where some of the above steps could be bypassed with a sizeable bribe.  With the change in government, who knows if this will become more prevalent again.

@Longonot62 It totally makes sense to prioritize nationals! We will keep an eye on openings for sure. Thanks again for the input!

@Longonot62 Thankfully, the corruption has ended. 

@Longonot62

Could you tell me how to apply this please? I would like to do it by own if possible. And what document of "Documentary proof of annual assured income"(Quote from the official website) can be submitted?

@Longonot62

Could you tell me how to apply Class K please? I want to do it by own if possible. And for example what document is considered as "Documentary proof of annual assured income(quote from the official website)"?