Retiring in Kenya

Mostly a question of future planning...
Does anyone have any experience with or information about retiring in Kenya for a US citizen?
This is something I want to look into though it would be a ways off.
Are there specific laws governing this - I'm sure there are - would there be a specific visa type that would enable a foreigner to live in retirement in Kenya ie - not be working while there long term?
Appreciate any info out there...

Hello,

Your option, initially would be to apply for a Class K permit, which doesn't allow paid work in Kenya and assumes that you have a regular income of $25,000 and upwards, per annum preferably from sources outside Kenya.

You would enter Kenya on a single entry visa and apply once in the country.  In my case, the application took around 3 months, but I understand that others have had it processed sooner.  The permit is normally issued on a 2 year cycle, but this is at the discretion of immigration staff, so longer/shorter periods can also be agreed.   The cost of Ksh 100,000 per year (payable on issue) with a Ksh 10,000 admin fee (payable on application).

Applications are done online at:

https://fns.immigration.go.ke

I also strongly suggest that, if you haven't been here before, that you spend 3 - 6 months (renewing your single entry visa to extend by 3 months) living here, to see whether it suits you, as it isn't at all like living in the west.

Thanks! Very helpful information.
I have lived in Kenya before, many years ago, for just one year and visited two years ago.
Just something I'm looking into as a possibility for the future.
I

welcome to Kenya

Thank you!

I have retired in Kenya and I have never regretted it. There are challenges here but more  exciting and warmer than the very safe and cold  country am coming from. It's actually much easier to live here as a retiree since you don't have to chase jobs and contracts. But it depends a lot on where in the country you choose to live.

Thank you Torewest, appreciate it.

Chris

I saw your post on the subject of retiring in Kenya, I am moving to Kenya with my Kenyan wife and we have a lot of experience between us, but I am always curious for a "Western" persons perspective on where they might settle in Kenya as it pertains to the security situation there.

We own property in Nairobi but wish to purchase land for the construction of a small farm in the countryside.

I also come from a cold and damp place where people dream of sunshine and warm evenings.

Would be happy to here from you on the subject of which areas are safe to settle.

Hi, yes the issue of security is the most important matter when choosing residence. In Nairobi, as you know,  there are many safe estates. In Nakuru and Mombasa area there are also several safe areas. I have a house in a gated community in Nakuru, which am renting out. I have had many romantic dreams of settling in a rural area, but i have to admit the security has stopped me. Maybe am too pessimistic but the moment its well known that a white man lives outside a gated community he has to take precautions. A farm is not easy to protect because backup forces could be far away. If ten guys come at night you need to be sure that backup security is not more than 15 min away. It's sad, but thats the reality.

I agree that security should be right up there on your list of priorities.   There are other areas apart from Nakuru and Mombasa where expats live in relative security.  Nanyuki has a large 'white' population, Naivasha also.  A few in Nyeri, quite a few in Thika. 

We haven't lived in Nairobi since 2008.  We moved because of the constant traffic jams, high cost of living, part time water supply, polluted air.  We moved to a semi rural location about 2km outside Thika.  it was fine to begin with, but as the area started to become more developed, the thieves moved in and our place was eventually robbed (may well have been an inside job - they often are).  We were forced to move and the new owners have been robbed two or three times since. 

We now have a property in Thika, an old estate with a positive neighbourhood security scheme which includes a security barrier at the end of the street.  We have another property on a golf estate in Naivasha - great security, but high annual charges.  Our main home is in a semi rural location about 5km outside Nyeri.  Its a small estate of 11 houses, with no street based security, but its still very secure.  We beefed security by installing a powered gate and camera entry phone (no need to employ a watchman), installed an electric fence, silent alarm and have a couple of dogs.   A gated community gives ultimate peace of mind, but its not a must if you choose carefully.

I think that buying a farm is probably not a great idea, unless you go for somewhere like 'Green Park' near Lake Naivasha, as its fully fenced.  Word will get around that 'theres a mzungu from America in the area'.  Sooner or later, thieves might well come calling and you cannot rely on the police to respond rapidly.  Its actually unpleasant living day to day with the thought that you might be raided.   Additionally, bear in mind the rules on land purchase.  Foreigners cannot own agricultural land, so the title would have to be in your wifes name only.

Hello, yes and thank you for your insight.

I think the way to go is a gated community as I would rather not lose any sleep and or feel the pangs of anxiety from day to day.

I am sick of the urban life so I hope there are plenty of options vis-a-vis the semi rural gated communities.  The less pavement and urban sprawl I see so much the better for my quality of life.

I value your advice as and I will discuss at length the options my wife and I should consider.
The advise I am getting on this expat site is remarkably helpful.

Cheers! and thank you!

Just saying, Longonot is giving very good advice on this.

There are gated communities and gated communities..............facilities and security not being equal.

We always bear in mind that the askaris on the gate are the same ones who can get to know your routines and so on and arrange for you to be robbed, so its important that askaris are rotated regularly.   You need to check what security arrangements are in place for visitors - do they retain ID cards, refuse admittance to unexpected visitors at night, for example. 

Do the night askaris go to sleep?  Surprisingly common!

If you are buying in a gated estate; how much is the service charge and what might be the annual increase? 

Outside Nairobi, the gated golf 'lifestyle' estate is increasingly common, with lots of developments either recently completed or ongoing.  Service charges are much higher for these, as golf course maintenance has to be part of it.

The sort of things that we look for when searching for property (apart from the above):

Is there only one way in/out?  Thieves are put off if they can be trapped.

What type of housing is in the street and immediate area?

What level of security do other houses have - if they all have razor wire or electric fences, it could be an indication that security has been/is a problem in the area.

Where is the nearest police post?

Talk to the locals if you can.

One of the best ways that you can ensure your security is NOT to develop a fixed routine!

We are doing fine in remote area 2 yrs now  :D

Excellent information! I am considering moving to Kenya. I lived there many years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

I'm currently retired and living in SE Asia, and not enjoying it much any more.

I am presuming that the figure of $25,000 is valid for only one individual - in other words, for my wife and I to obtain a permit we would need $50,000. Would you know about that for certain?

Thank you!

Have you ever been to Morroco? Its very safe and you do not have to pay for a resident permit. You only have to show proof you can support yourself.

Is there exemption on taxes granted for one car & personal effects on K-permit class!.

No, the duty exemption applies to returning Kenyan citizens, diplomats, army personnel.

How about disabled person on social security getting 19,900 a year is it possible to retire in kenya

Re: from Longonot62 - "Your option, initially would be to apply for a Class K permit, which doesn't allow paid work in Kenya and assumes that you have a regular income of $25,000 and upwards, per annum preferably from sources outside Kenya."

Officially this statement is correct. In actuality, the requirement of US $25,000 per annum is not necessarily so.

I have recently been granted a Class K permit with an income less than that. The immigration lawyer I was connected to by local friend, told me that so long as I had evidence of sufficient income to support myself, a Class K permit was still possible. I have no doubt that it requires the services of a lawyer and that will add at least a further $1000 expense to the $3000 fee for 3 years. However, it is possible. I can give you the name and contact information of my lawyer if you would like it.

I will add - because this can be misleading...

With a single entry tourist visa that can be extended to a maximum of 6 months, you then have to leave to apply for a new visa.

It seems generally assumed that you have to leave Kenya. In fact, you have to leave the East African Community, which includes Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda, Congo and South Sudan.

This is much more expensive than just zipping across the border into Tanzania and back.

While US $1000 per annum for a Class K permit seems expensive, the flights and accommodation costs to go beyond the East African Community twice a year are at least double that. Ethiopia is the only less expensive option and, while that country is in such upheaval, it probably isn't a wise destination.

@Sarnia  Are you sure the additional Kes 100,000 wasn't simply a bribe?  There is not way that this amount would have been lawyers fees.  You actually don't need a lawyer to apply for the Class K.

$25,000 is the official government figure that is required per annum, so while you can indeed get a Class K on less, or based on a certain amount of savings (rather than income), the route to obtaining the visa will be a corrupt one.  The problem is that as more people are prepared to bribe to obtain the document they want, the applicants that come later will find it increasingly difficult to obtain the permit through non corrupt means and the bribes will also rise.

Hi Longonot - No, I actually paid less and I don't think it was a bribe. I didn't pay that much because of a personal connection and a friend's negotiation on my behalf, but I know it was less than usual so that's why I mentioned 100,000 Ksh as a warning. I am aware one doesn't need a lawyer to apply for a Class K permit IF you can meet the requirement of US$25,000 per annum.

Since I could not, I needed the assistance of a lawyer to persuade the authorities that I did have sufficient to support myself even if it wasn't that $25,000 requirement. Since I didn't meet that requirement there was apparently a lot more checking up on me than there would have been otherwise. It was a one time expense. I'll be able to renew in 3 years time without repeating that.

If, in fact, to get a Class K permit without the required income requires a bribe - that hadn't occurred to me.

I'd had a good experience with my friend and the lawyer she does business with when my tourist visa had expired and I was too ill to travel. I fully agree with your principle about not contributing to corruption.  Perhaps I was naieve.

Perhaps no one should try to get a Class K permit if they don't have that required income.

@Sarnia care to share attorney?

Mumo Mbole

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct