1 Year Citizenship route

From what I understand I can become a citizen within 1 year of living in Brazil with my spouse if:

1. I pass the CELPE-Bras exam or
  2. I complete a "Portuguese language course for immigrants in a Brazilian University"

Does anyone know if this Portuguese language course involves the CELPE-Bras exam at the end?

03/09/23 Does anyone know if this Portuguese language course involves the CELPE-Bras exam at the end?
-@john8670

I have tried and tried to identify a course that meets this requirement without CelpeBras, and have failed so far.  Every course that claims to be sufficiently in-depth has turned out, under the marketing babble, to be a CelpeBras prep course.

One member a few months ago posted about a course in Paraná that appeared from its syllabus to perhaps be satisfactory.  I asked him to get back to us if the Polícia Federal actually accepted it, but never heard anything from him again.  I haven't been able to locate the post, but if I do, I'll post the information to this thread.

03/09/23 @john8670  I've looked back over a year of posts, and this was probably the course I had in mind, not in Paraná, but in São Paulo:

https://www.mackenzie.br/en/mackenzie-l … foreigners

The page doesn't say anything about the Polícia Federal, but their course appears to be quite rigorous.  Mackenzie is a highly reputable university, and if you ask them straight out whether successful completion of their course will be accepted in lieu of CelpeBras for naturalization, I think that they'll be honest with you. 

@john8670

Are you saying that one has to take a course in Portuguese in order to be a citizen? I'm married to a Brazilian woman, and I never heard of anything like that. I do plan to live there, and I know it takes one year. I haven't heard of any " Portugues's language " course requiring me to take in order to live there with my wife.

Sincerely,

hocytek

Or to become a citizen?

@abthree

Are you saying that one has to take a course in Portuguese in order to be a citizen? I'm married to a Brazilian woman, and I never heard of anything like that. I do plan to live there, and I know it takes one year. I haven't heard of any " Portugues's language " course requiring me to take in order to live there with my wife.

Sincerely,

hocytek

Hello Hocytek,

abthree is the expert on this, however I'll chime in.  You do not need to take and pass a Portuguese course in order to live here in Brazil with your wife. You will need to obtain a Vitem XI visa, which does not require you to speak Portuguese.

To become a citizen you do need to take and pass a Portuguese language test called the Celpe-bras. Not to get too far off topic, but having said that, I heard about 'extraordinary naturalization' which I believe does not require passing the Celpe-bras exam, but does require you live here for 15 years. I'd be interested to know more about that if anyone has looked into it...

03/09/23 Or to become a citizen?
-@hocytek

Hi, hocytek, nice to see you again! Yes, to become a citizen it is necessary to prove your proficiency in Portuguese by taking and passing the CelpeBras exam; there are several other ways to achieve the same objective, but most of them require graduation from a Brazilian high school or university.

However, there is no language requirement to become a permanent resident, and there is NO pressure on a permanent resident to become a naturalized citizen, ever. So there won't be any problem with your moving here permanently to live with your wife.

@abthree

You are God sent!!!!! I can't believe that individuals like you exist. Gratitude.

Question? Do I have to be present when I turn in my background to the Federal police?

Another question is once turn in my background paperwork to the FP, do I have to stay in Brazil to receive feedback?

I need to get a Vitem XI VISA and a CRNM.

If my time is maxed out and I need to return back to the states, could I request additional time?

I have a CPF and a Credit card account.

When reentering the U.S before I leave Brazil from San Paulo should I make sure they stamp my passport.

With the Vitem XI VISA and a CRNM could I work legally?

Hocytek

03/09/23 With the Vitem XI VISA and a CRNM could I work legally?

Hocytek
-@hocytek

Yes, you can work legally.  You'll need to get a Labor Card with the state Labor Department, but with your CRNM, this will be automatic. 

As for documents for the Polícia Federal, you will need to register with them in person after you arrive, and your Brazilian wife should be with you, if at all possible.  What you have to give them will depend on your visa.

If you arrive with a VITEM XI, you probably won't need anything more than that, and a protocolo from the Consulate if they give you one.  I understand that with respect to VITEM XI, the PF has gone back to the  policy they followed with the old VIPER of accepting the visa itself as sufficient proof that the applicant has been properly vetted.  They may ask to see additional documents, but probably won't.

If you arrive on a tourist visa, my understanding is that you will need to submit scans of all the documents through the MigranteWeb system when you apply for your Authorization of Residency, make an appointment online to go to the PF office, and bring your documents with you then.

I'm sorry for all the questions that I'm asking, I just they're all jumbled up in my brain and I'm trying to spit them out or spew them out as correctly as possible so I can have some kind of forum.

My wife is also helping me with some of these questions.

hocytek

@abthree

Thank you very much. I make sure I will store this for future reference.

hocytek

@abthree

I took my BC and many of my educational docs and had them apostilled and translated. Someone over should be able to pull out that inf and has some type of documents on me. I am legally married. I had to produce my birth certificate and SS everything they requested. Would this make it easier for the FP get any information on me?

What Docs do I need specifically?

03/10/23 With the Vitem XI VISA and a CRNM could I work legally?

Hocytek
-@hocytek

While you will be able to work in general, you may have to have your degrees validated in Brazil before you can work in your profession.  If I recall correctly, you're a Pharmacist.  In that case, you probably should contact the Federal Council of Pharmacy -- https://site.cff.org.br/ -- to learn about the process for transferring your credentials.

Doesn't the PF has a list of available courses that meet their criteria?

03/10/23  Doesn't the PF has a list of available courses that meet their criteria?
-@sprealestatebroker

Not really.  Here's the list of the methods of meeting the requirement.  The Polícia Federal will accept #1 - #3 and #5 - #8 on the basis of certificates.  For #4, the candidate has to provide detailed evidence that the specific course satisfies the requirement:

https://www.gov.br/mj/pt-br/assuntos/se … guesa/view

@BRBC

Thanks for your input. I enter Brazil with a passport.

@abthree

I enter Brazil with a passport.

Sincerely,

hocytek

@abthree

I enter Brazil with a passport. Is that a problem at this stage?

I had recently applied for my naturalization with Portuguese course for migrant and PF accepted it. Just that you must bring your wife together on the day of appointment for biometrics and original documents verification.

The Portuguese course must be face to face not online or EAD mode, they won't accept it at all. Certificates with participation written won't be accept as well.

At the time of biometrics, you must talk to them in Portuguese and it's goona be okay.1f60e.svg

04/01/23 @Nomad Mundo.  That's great news -- congratulations!  What course did you take?

@abthree thank..I did Portuguese for migrants and refugees from UNICESUMAR. Your course must have full descriptions of course/module taken, scores obtained and workload of Atleast 200 to 300 hours with the transcript. Course with participation written won't be accepted at all.

@Nomad Mundo what was the cost?

@ltoby955 It was free for migrants, however i don't know whether they offering it now1f609.svg1f609.svg

@john8670 did you find a course?

10/16/23 @GEBMIA  Welcome!  The only member that I know who found a course acceptable to the PF and succeeded in being naturalized with it is @Nomad Mundo.  See his post describing his course, #24 in this thread.