Moving to Chile

Hi,
I am so excited that our home in the USA has sold and we are moving to Chile in Febuary 2012. I have a few questions as we prepare for this new adventure. When we identify each item in each box we are shipping do we need to have it translated to spanish. Who do we determine the value of each item. I am asking this because as I understand $5000.00 is tax free, so basically I don't want value my contents high. How is it done. I am sure I will have many more questions later.
Susan

Hi and welcome to the forum susanglathar!

I hope other members can advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Ey Susan you are welcome in our country, i'm chilean,i live in Santiago and i hope that you like Chile !, but i really don't know that you ask... but... i think that you must contact the Chileans embassy in USA

In this link you can know where is nearly from your city, there is phones and emails:
http://www.chile-usa.org/consular.htm

Regards!

Ricardo

hi! where are you going to live susan..?
Regards,
marcela

Hello Susan,

I'm an ex-pat myself from Los Angeles..(moderated: no free ads please) All the best in your new adventure and good luck!!

Anthony

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi Susan,

I've been in Chile for a month, moving from Lethbridge, Alberta.  My belongings are on their way right now and hopefully will get to me in about one month. Regarding your first question, my shipping company at first only asked me for a general list of items e.g. books, CDs, clothes etc.  After I had shipped everything, they asked me what was in each box, so I had to tell them that the only way to find that out (since I had already left Canada) was to open the boxes.  So they emailed me an inventory for my approval in which they randomly assigned the items to specific boxes.  Regarding your second question, I valued my belongings around CA$4,600 for the reason you mentioned (and left some room in case the loonie continued appreciating :-).  I still don't know the outcome of these decisions as my belongings haven't got to Chile yet, but I will be able to advice better when they do.  Will keep you posted.
Emilio

Hello Susan,  I live in the USA but also have thought of retiring in Chile with my wife.  We love it there.  I am aware of a website that deals with some of your questions of moving there.  I do not know much about them, however it does seem to be full of information that may help.  This is: spencerglobal.com  Hopefully this will help.  Good luck in your endevour.  Where do you plan on locating?