Typhoon Noru (Karding) Direct Hit on Danang

As people here in Danang are aware now, the typhoon eventually made a direct hit here at Mỹ Khê Beach.

This is a screenshot of the model that predicted this:

screenshot_20220928_040021.jpg

We are in a hotel on An Thượng 1, near the beach (blue dot) 🔵

(Red marker is our new home in Hội An)

The power went out and things started to bump and bang about 1:30 AM.

It's 4:30 AM now, and the eye passed over a while back.

Now the backside of the cyclone is continuing to make a lot of noise.

I expect that the storm surge will be especially bad from here to down around Sơn Trà.

I hope others in Đà Nẵng will use this thread to provide updates on their experiences.

screenshot_20220928_045449.jpg

@OceanBeach92107 Glad to hear you've weathered the storm.

Came here just for your expected report. Disaster hound.

Hope it blew some of those hotels down. Not yours.

What no pix? Get that film developed.

Came here just for your expected report. Disaster hound.
Hope it blew some of those hotels down. Not yours.
What no pix? Get that film developed.
-@gobot

Since the power went out at about 1:30 AM and the rain obscured the view out my window until well after 8 AM, there weren't many chances to get photos.

probably the best I can do is offer a photo I took about a week ago...

fb_img_1664359460707.jpg

...and a photo of the angry ocean taken this morning about 6 AM through a very wet window pane:

20220928_053432-01.jpeg

We were very impressed that the power was back on today (An Thượng tourist streets) at about 1 PM, slightly less than 12 hours after the typhoon knocked it out.

@OceanBeach92107 stay safe and be careful. I have memories of going through these so many years ago in Okinawa. We had some zingers there. The power being on sounds good.

Take care.

@OceanBeach92107 stay safe and be careful. I have memories of going through these so many years ago in Okinawa. We had some zingers there. The power being on sounds good.
Take care.
-@mpmilestogo

My wife never (yes, never) suggests any special expenditures.

After this experience, and because she saw again how I suffer when I can't use my CPAP, she suggested that we get a generator after we move into our new home in Hội An on Sunday.

A peaceful sunrise in Đà Nẵng this morning, though sailors see a warning...

20220930_052939-01.jpeg