Question about cost of living in Vietnam post-COVID

Hello dear expat folks,

So back in March 2020, I had to leave Vietnam in a rush as probably a few of you did when borders were closing and COVID was frightening. Well, COVID is still somewhat frightening, but we're more used to it. So, fast forward to December 2022, I'll be coming back for the winter, working from home for my Canadian company as I did last time. Inflation is going nuts in the West and prices here (in Canada at least but I suspect it's the same everywhere) rose 10-20% on many products, lodging and services since March 2020. Heck, we had a real estate boom that saw values jump 50%+ before retracting slightly now with higher interest rates (more pain to come).

I was wondering if I might expect prices in Vietnam to have followed the same path? Would a typical "pho" or "bun bo hue" 30%+ more expensive now? I decided to spend a few months in Can Tho and from what I'm seeing, rents don't seem so much higher than they were before but there's lots of forces at play, like more strict visa rules that might keep a lot of so called "English teachers" away.

Anyone would possibly have some input on this? Thanks a million.

Like you, I left Vietnam in March 2020 but I returned in June 2022 and prices didn't seem very different to me. Gasoline is more expensive but food and accommodation still seemed to be very good value. I am back in Ireland at the moment but will return to Vietnam next month and if I have any interesting information to impart, I will post it here.

I left Việt Nam in June, 2021 and returned here this past July.

The biggest price jump I've seen has been in the price of transpacific airline fares.

I flew back to the USA in business class on Singapore Airlines for about $1,850.00

I returned to Việt Nam on Vietnam Airlines (business class; non-stop) for about $4,300.00

I missed getting my flight for the advance rate of about $3,200.00 at that time because I was playing the visa waiting game; expecting 3 month visas to become available on July 1st.

By the time I became certain that wasn't going to happen (and my affordable but temporary living situation in the US was about to expire) it was my best option to take the financial hit and get my disabled ass back to Việt Nam ASAP, where I've found prices to be much as they were when I left, if not slightly better in some cases.

The rent on my old Vũng Tàu apartment has dropped after new owners took over, but the old landlords were always asking too much for the market to bear, in an effort to rent exclusively to foreigners.

Others (Colin in particular) had their rent raised.

GRAB transportation costs are the same as are railway tickets.

Vietnam Airlines is continually promoting discounts on domestic economy flights.

Only western tourist friendly areas appear to be attempting significant price increases, not always with much success.

Vietnamese businesses would love to use western inflation as an excuse to raise prices here, but so far it seems that core prices here are largely unchanged, if not depressed in some sectors (rent an apartment in Nha Trang on the cheap)

on average rents have gone up 20% here at Celadon City Tan Phu & you need to move fast to get a place.

Street food is much same price as before Covid.

Petrol fluctuates daily round here & my last fill up was 25,000 a ltr for 95

on average rents have gone up 20% here at Celadon City Tan Phu & you need to move fast to get a place.
Street food is much same price as before Covid.
Petrol fluctuates daily round here & my last fill up was 25,000 a ltr for 95
-@goodolboy

Ah, yes, I should amend my previous comment about transportation.

For long distance transportation I use GRAB as a pricing tool but negotiate with private drivers individually.

Higher gasoline prices have caused the ones I use to essentially add on a fuel surcharge to the prices I used to pay.

All so reasonable I'd forgotten that prices were closer to 20,000 previously.

My new landlord in Vũng Tàu was letting me charge the batteries in my electric scooter for free

Hey guys thanks for the input, really appreciated. The hotel I'm usually booking in Saigon is the same price, at least. The serviced appartments in Can Tho I'm looking at are around 9.5M + electricity, but it's always been around that price for serviced appartments in non tourist locations, it's much more rare and harder to find than places like Saigon, Nha Trang, Phu Quoc and son on.

@OceanBeach92107 I agree, the biggest increase is in airfares, I just didn't mention it as I didn't think it was part of the question.

I can't afford business class sadly, but even the economy fares have doubled in the last three years. I am flying to Bangkok next month and staying for a few weeks before flying into Hanoi and it is considerably cheaper that way for some reason.

@OceanBeach92107 I agree, the biggest increase is in airfares, I just didn't mention it as I didn't think it was part of the question.
I can't afford business class sadly, but even the economy fares have doubled in the last three years. I am flying to Bangkok next month and staying for a few weeks before flying into Hanoi and it is considerably cheaper that way for some reason.
-@Malcolmleitrim

Yeah I wasn't thinking of airfares, more like internal Vietnam inflation, but it's still an interesting topic. I really slowly grinded a great deal on that one. For the past year or two I've been applying for credit cards that give free Aeroplan points (similar to Air Miles) when activating the cards. I accumulated 100,000 points which allowed me to buy a round trip ticket to Vietnam for the mind blowing price of CAD $150. Similar tickets right now sell for over CAD$2,000. 1f60d.svg

@WillyBaldy Wow, you hit the jackpot mate. That is a good deal.

I booked my flight (round trip) from Toronto to HCM for $1400 (CAD) back in June 2022.

Air Miles points are great for flight purchase and deals.

@WillyBaldy Agreed on the inflation statement with you.

Yes, prices have doubled up as to what it used to be before COVID.

Things will go harder than what it is at the present.

I can't really comment about the prices in Vietnam because I was there only for a couple weeks and of course when you convert USD into VND, things will look a lot cheaper being a tourist.

I hope you will have a great time in Vietnam. A nice escape from "Canadian Winters" !

@WillyBaldy Wow, you hit the jackpot mate. That is a good deal.
I booked my flight (round trip) from Toronto to HCM for $1400 (CAD) back in June 2022.

Air Miles points are great for flight purchase and deals.
-@yudirajput

That's still a great price. I can't see anything under $2,500 right now with only one connection. You can get close to $1,300 but it's for two connections.

I can't really comment about the prices in Vietnam because I was there only for a couple weeks and of course when you convert USD into VND, things will look a lot cheaper being a tourist.

I hope you will have a great time in Vietnam. A nice escape from "Canadian Winters" !
-@yudirajput

Thanks!

CAD to VND was amazing in 2010, I remember getting close to 22,000 dongs for a $CAN. Now it will be close to 18,000 dongs, on top of the fact that prices increased a lot since then. Much less purchasing power than before, but still much cheaper than Canada for labour intensive services and food.

-@yudirajput
Thanks!

CAD to VND was amazing in 2010, I remember getting close to 22,000 dongs for a $CAN. Now it will be close to 18,000 dongs, on top of the fact that prices increased a lot since then. Much less purchasing power than before, but still much cheaper than Canada for labour intensive services and food.
-@WillyBaldy

screenshot_20220917_052740.jpg

screenshot_20220917_052619.jpg

Yes exactly @OceanBeach92107, actually CAD was higher than USD for a few months in 2011, that was the best time to be a travelling Canadian 1f600.svg

I was wondering if I might expect prices in Vietnam to have followed the same path? Would a typical "pho" or "bun bo hue" 30%+ more expensive now? I decided to spend a few months in Can Tho and from what I'm seeing, rents don't seem so much higher than they were before but there's lots of forces at play, like more strict visa rules that might keep a lot of so called "English teachers" away.

Anyone would possibly have some input on this? Thanks a million.
-@WillyBaldy

As mentioned by others, local food seems to be about the same price. There's just too much competition with people selling the same old stuff. The same with rented accommodation, too much supply, not enough demand. Tourist numbers are lower than usual due to higher airfares and the visa situation. In addition, many expats are leaving, with some moving to Cambodia/Thailand/Malaysia to avoid having to do monthly visa runs or just for a change of scene.

Anywayz, the one area where prices are going up is restaurants serving western food and Indian, anything with imported ingredients. It also seems that quality is lower and portions are smaller. In addition, some of those restaurants are gone.

In conclusion, you can still live very cheaply in the smaller cities in Vietnam if you can eat mostly local food and/or cook at home more often.

... that was the best time to be a travelling Canadian 1f600.svg
-@WillyBaldy

Any time is the best time to be travelling Canadian, IMVHO

:)

As mentioned by others, local food seems to be about the same price. There's just too much competition with people selling the same old stuff. The same with rented accommodation, too much supply, not enough demand. Tourist numbers are lower than usual due to higher airfares and the visa situation. In addition, many expats are leaving, with some moving to Cambodia/Thailand/Malaysia to avoid having to do monthly visa runs or just for a change of scene.

Anywayz, the one area where prices are going up is restaurants serving western food and Indian, anything with imported ingredients. It also seems that quality is lower and portions are smaller. In addition, some of those restaurants are gone.

In conclusion, you can still live very cheaply in the smaller cities in Vietnam if you can eat mostly local food and/or cook at home more often.
-@johnross23

100% agree. Good report johnross23.

Thank you for that!

My upcoming October ticket is the cheapest I have ever booked from Omaha, NE to SGN.  Normally it has been around $1700-1800 - always have two connections coming from a small market airport.  This was 2018-2020.  My trip back in February was around $2,000 because they just opened flights.  My flight with my family in July was the highest ever at $2,430 each.  My October ticket after the summer rush is $1,430.

My upcoming October ticket is the cheapest I have ever booked from Omaha, NE to SGN. Normally it has been around $1700-1800 - always have two connections coming from a small market airport. This was 2018-2020. My trip back in February was around $2,000 because they just opened flights. My flight with my family in July was the highest ever at $2,430 each. My October ticket after the summer rush is $1,430.
-@SteinNebraska

$1,430 is an amazing price in current context.

Huh, just checked Kayak for one-stop RT SGN-SFO in October. ANA, JAL, Korean Air under $800 like old days. 1f600.svg

EVA & Cathay pricey tho.

Huh, just checked Kayak for one-stop RT SGN-SFO in October. ANA, JAL, Korean Air under $800 like old days. 1f600.svg
EVA & Cathay pricey tho.
-@gobot

Google flights:

SGN to SFO October 27

SFO to SGN November 26

KAL 1 stop ICN (both directions)

$772.37 RT

(Unclear if 10% fuel surcharge is included in that or extra)

EVA & Cathay pricey tho.
-@gobot

Google flights:
SGN to SFO October 27
SFO to SGN November 26
KAL 1 stop ICN (both directions)
$772.37 RT
(Unclear if 10% fuel surcharge is included in that or extra)
-@OceanBeach92107

Yeah, going to middle no where small market airport is where they hook me.  I am going OMA SFO NRT SGN so still your flight, just adding one domestic leg which doubles the fare.

Yeah, going to middle no where small market airport is where they hook me. I am going OMA SFO NRT SGN so still your flight, just adding one domestic leg which doubles the fare.
-@SteinNebraska

There is a short list of advantages of a California 1f43b.svg base -

• Cheaper flights to the Orient 2708.svg
  • Pretty beaches if you don't mind frigid water 1f305.svg
  • Sourdough bread 1f35e.svg

End of list. 1f61b.svg

Yeah, going to middle no where small market airport is where they hook me. I am going OMA SFO NRT SGN so still your flight, just adding one domestic leg which doubles the fare.
-@SteinNebraska

Cheaper flights to the Orient 2708.svg
Pretty beaches if you don't mind frigid water 1f305.svg
Sourdough bread 1f35e.svg

End of list. 1f61b.svg
-@gobot

And based on your list there is no way I could ever base there.  Way too many negatives to offset the positives.  Heck this whole country is going to hell and it's one of the chief reasons we aren't going to split six months in each.  Moving back fulltime after high school and their citizenship is done.

@SteinNebraska ***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Political + off-topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@SteinNebraska ***
-@Mark Tat

Can we stick to the forum Code of Conduct and keep politics out of posts please.

Hi, have been in Vietnam through most of Covid time (and 16 years all in all). Biggest change I've seen is in flight tickets: e.g. VNA prices now for Eco tickets are what they were previously for Business (international travel). Otherwise petrol was up a lot at one point, but down again, to 22-23k (yest, for 95), following international market prices. Supermarkets and local markets, guess perhaps overall 10-15% up, but probably 20-30% on imported goods, considering dramatic changes in forex markets this year. Food and drink outside didn't change much I believe. Taxis are up quite a bit, e.g. last week Noi Bai into downtown Hanoi 500k, metered.

@WillyBaldy

I was in HCM last month on vacation, and I was shocked at how expensive things were now in Vietnam. Granted I haven't been to Vietnam in a few years (2018 was the last time I was there, again as a tourist), but the prices there now have made me take Vietnam off my list of potential countries to retire in. That is sad because I love pho, but when you have to pay as much for pho in Vietnam as you would at a Vietnamese restaurant in Canada, what is the advantage to moving to Vietnam?

BTW, I wish the company I worked for would allow me to work from home anywhere in the world... Is your company hiring? :)

-@Malcolmleitrim

Hmm for some reason from the US your Bangkok plan would be more expensive. And BTW Ocean.... I can't afford business class either and I envy those folks in those seats as I walk pass them. Not as much as I do the first class studio apartments though.

-@SteinNebraska

Cheaper flights to the Orient 2708.svg
Pretty beaches if you don't mind frigid water 1f305.svg
Sourdough bread 1f35e.svg

End of list. 1f61b.svg
-@gobot
And based on your list there is no way I could ever base there. Way too many negatives to offset the positives. Heck this whole country is going to hell and it's one of the chief reasons we aren't going to split six months in each. Moving back fulltime after high school and their citizenship is done.
-@SteinNebraska

Seriously considering doing the same for the same reason.

• @Thomas Hamilton,

Welcome to Expats, there is one glitch in your plan, Vietnam does not have retirement visas.

At the moment we only have 30 day e-visa, then exit country and return on a new e-visa.

Which area were you eating Pho?

That is sad because I love pho, but when you have to pay as much for pho in Vietnam as you would at a Vietnamese restaurant in Canada, what is the advantage to moving to Vietnam?

-@Thomas Hamilton

Where in Canada can I get Pho for ~$2 CDN (~$1.35 USD)?

Prior to your next(?) visit to VN, let us know your destination city and some of the helpful members at expat.com can then make suggestions where you can avoid the tourist prices.

That is sad because I love pho, but when you have to pay as much for pho in Vietnam as you would at a Vietnamese restaurant in Canada, what is the advantage to moving to Vietnam?

-@Thomas Hamilton

Prior to your next(?) visit to VN, let us know your destination city and some of the helpful members at expat.com can then make suggestions where you can avoid the tourist prices.
-@Aidan in HCMC

I think someone is telling porky pies. Pho in Australia costs around 12-15 aud, cant see anyone making it in Australia for 1.50aud.

-@Thomas Hamilton

-@Aidan in HCMC
I think someone is telling porky pies. Pho in Australia costs around 12-15 aud, cant see anyone making it in Australia for 1.50aud.
-@colinoscapee

In Canada, at various Chinatowns, you can get a decent Pho Bo for ~$8 CDN (~120K VND).

You could certainly pay this much in D1, or D2 Saigon, if one were so inclined :)

Like others here, I left in 2020 and went back two weeks ago. On the super budget side of the scale, prices have gone up. Some of the basic street food I was eating had gone from 5k to 10k or 15k to 25k or 45 to 50k. That's still inexpensive, but it isn't what it was and it is a % increase, which presumably will go across many categories. Super budget hotel rooms in most places had also edged up as well. I guess if you look around there is always going to be budget prices for food, accommodation, etc., but on the whole, for the super budgeteer, prices had definitely gone up.

@Thomas Hamilton,
Welcome to Expats, there is one glitch in your plan, Vietnam does not have retirement visas.
At the moment we only have 30 day e-visa, then exit country and return on a new e-visa.
-@AndyHCMC

Yours statement is not correct. Vietnam does not only have 30 days e visa. There are still business visas, investment visas & work visas with follow on TRC providing you have the correct paperwork & finance to get them.

Yours statement is not correct. Vietnam does not only have 30 days e visa. There are still business visas, investment visas & work visas with follow on TRC providing you have the correct paperwork & finance to get them.

-@goodolboy

In fact, there are twenty visas

But, Thomas Hamilton did state "...made me take Vietnam off my list of potential countries to retire in".

;)

(the "reply" function seems messed up)

-@goodolboy
In fact, there are twenty visas
But, Thomas Hamilton did state "...made me take Vietnam off my list of potential countries to retire in".
wink.png

(the "reply" function seems messed up)
-@Aidan in HCMC

I have lived in Vietnam since 2008 & been retired here permanently since 2015 & managed fine up to now without a retirement visa.

-@goodolboy

I have lived in Vietnam since 2008 & been retired here permanently since 2015 & managed fine up to now without a retirement visa.
-@goodolboy

For some unknown reason, you keep forgetting to mention spousal visas...

1f601.svg1f601.svg1f601.svg

@Thomas Hamilton,
-@AndyHCMC

-@goodolboy

He stated he came for a holiday and thinking of retirement, since there are no retirement visas ands in the past there were heaps of options, to get here to start his retirement his options now are?

Highly unlikely he is going to find a VN wife there and bring her here.

Investment and biz can be done but harder and harder as we see since covid. provide a link where he can do it in this current climate from his home location.

While there is a heap of options, once here, he mentioned nothing about him doing the Paperwork in his question which leaves 30 day e-visa to get here.

Which as stated in other posts "but the ONLY option for Vietnam tourists is the 30 day eVisa, and NO extension or renewal is allowed"

In the past he could have done 3, 12 month tourist, biz etc which many including yourself have done every 3 months, they have gone for now, so what options are open to him currently on the visa websites?

Just because you did it 14 years ago does not mean it is easily or readily available for some, work visa is out if he is retiring.

For the other options maybe a link to where he can get the other visas from his location would be a help.