Wishing to live in the USA ? Find useful info in the expat guide
Free download
View all destinations Change destination

Child care in the US


If you are looking for a daycare for your child while you're at work, here is some information that might help you.

If you are moving to the United States and you have children who are too young to go to school, you will need to find someone to look after them. If you cannot find a nanny or you simply do not want to opt for this system, you can assign them to a child care center. Many agencies offer child care programs sponsored by the government in order to protect children. However, the nursery section is not mandatory in the United States. Nursery school is private, paid and can be quite expensive.

To find a child care center, you can contact the office of your school district or the Department of Health and Human Services of the United States that provides a national information center on childcare. For more information, please visit the following links:

Family care or nursery

You can choose between family care or a nursery. Family care can be a cheaper solution for you, allowing you to entrust your child to a person with a small group of children. Be aware though, that the quality of service depends on the person who takes care of your child and the number of children in the group.

As for child care services, you can find them in schools, churches or other organizations. People working there are trained and have experience to deal with a large number of children. The State imposes standards which must be followed to keep the nursery operating. The federal government finances two programs, “Early Head Start" and "Head Start", for families with low income.


Before making your choice, check if the center will take care of your child on a part-time or full-time basis. You must also consider the prices and services offered by the center and check if you qualify for federal aid or state. You are advised to visit the site to know more about the environment in which your child will be.

Generally, nurseries welcome children aged from three months to five years. Their services are private; the cost can be from $30 to $50 per day. Some churches also offer these services. Nursery schools take care of children aged between 3 and 5 years. Most of them are private and offer part-time services. They can cost you between 800 and $1,000 per month.

There are also cooperative nurseries in which each parent takes care of the children at least once a week and also cleans up the place. If you choose this method, you need to devote time to the school. Elementary schools offer kindergarten classes on their premises. You need to pay a fee for these classes, unless you belong to a low-income family.

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

If you want to move to the US with your pet, you have to check the conditions with your airline or with your travel agent. On your arrival, your pet will be checked by a customs officer. Make sure to have done the necessary vaccination.
You will need a working visa to be able to find a job or to follow a training program. If you are a skilled worker, you will need the H1-B visa while for an internship you have to apply for a J-1 visa.

Would you like to live in the USA?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA